Re: Everyone -- please reply to this email

  • Herb Johnson
    Message 1 of 19 , Aug 1, 2006

      > A simple query ... regarding the Boston trip, have I grossly
      misjudged what
      > MARCHins are interested in doing, activity-wise?
      >
      > We've got 100+ people on this list, only two people beside me want
      to go,
      > and only a handful of others declined for various personal / scheduling
      > reasons. So what about the other 90-ish people...?

      > I crave your feedback.
      >
      > - Evan

      You asked for feedback. I already posted that, in effect, the Boston
      event was too expensive as described. Plus, I just came from points
      north of that; plus the likely heat. I could say more, but it would
      amount to saying I have less money to spend than others - that's
      embarassing and personal.

      As for the 100 plus members of the list; Evan, sort that list by
      distance from Boston. Consider that the cost of the trip, including
      the hotel (if the room is not shared), plus food, plus CAR travel to
      and from Boston and RI, would likely be over $400. And I think you can
      eliminate flying in for the event, that would add hundreds easily.
      Consequently anyone more than say 400 miles away from Boston is not
      likely to attend. That distance would be south of Trenton NJ. I'm not
      sure how far west to extend it, but you get the idea.

      Herb Johnson
      usual .sig omitted
    • Christian R. Fandt
      Message 2 of 19 , Aug 1, 2006
        Upon the date 06:03 PM 7/31/2006, Evan Koblentz said something like:
        >A simple query ... regarding the Boston trip, have I grossly misjudged what
        >MARCHins are interested in doing, activity-wise?
        >
        >We've got 100+ people on this list, only two people beside me want to go,
        >and only a handful of others declined for various personal / scheduling
        >reasons. So what about the other 90-ish people...?

        Well, in my case, distance is the thing that prevents me from joining *any*
        MARCH activity. The activities planned and presented are around 7 to 9
        hours drive away from Jamestown. A days' drive each way eliminates my
        attendance because of work, stuff needed to do around the house/family, etc.

        >A big-picture plea ... it's very hard to run a group if the constituents
        >rarely speak up about what they want from the group ... I like to think I
        >understand my fellow vintage computer nerds, but who really knows? So, let
        >this email stand as the catalyst for a brainstorming thread please!

        I do indeed enjoy some of the discussions and reports on activities that
        MARCH and fellow members have undertaken. Please keep it up.

        >In addition to our museum work, VCF, and the swapmeet, what else should
        >MARCH do for fun? Or do most people think that's enough; is this all we
        >want from the group?

        Boy, I wish I was close to the museum. I could pitch in occasionally and
        I've got several items I'd like to donate, perhaps including an IBM 9370/65
        (I ne-e-e-e-d space!).

        >I crave your feedback.

        Heck, I *crave* being close to a bigger city which has neat things and
        groups like MARCH.

        My main interest is history of electrical/electronic communication. I've
        been very active in the AWA (see URL below) for about 30 years now, plus
        being an officer in same over the past several years. But, the nearest
        major radio activities are 90 and 150 miles distant. As some of you might
        know, several in the NJARC (sp.?) are AWA members along with being Radio
        Amateurs.

        However, I've quietly amassed an eclectic bunch of classic computing
        machines over time.

        -Chris F.

        NNNN

        Christian Fandt, Electronic/Electrical Historian
        Jamestown, NY USA cfandt@...
        Member of Antique Wireless Association
          >>> Well, in my case, distance is the thing that prevents me from joining
          *any* MARCH activity. The activities planned and presented are around 7 to 9
          hours drive away from Jamestown.

          You guys have indoor plumbing and paved roads up there?
        • William Donzelli
          Message 4 of 19 , Aug 1, 2006
            > You guys have indoor plumbing and paved roads up there?

            They even have electricity, inlike parts of Queens.

            I think that MARCH should probably have several local chapters - even
            completely informal - where the "locals" could meet and do stuff. One
            of these days one will form around Poughkeepsie, NY, where real
            computers come from.

            --
            Will
          • Sridhar Ayengar
            Message 5 of 19 , Aug 2, 2006
              William Donzelli wrote:
              >> You guys have indoor plumbing and paved roads up there?
              >
              > They even have electricity, inlike parts of Queens.
              >
              > I think that MARCH should probably have several local chapters - even
              > completely informal - where the "locals" could meet and do stuff. One
              > of these days one will form around Poughkeepsie, NY, where real
              > computers come from.

              Damn straight!

              Peace... Sridhar
            • rkushnier
              Message 6 of 19 , Aug 2, 2006
                Sorry,

                Boston's too far for me to travel. One or two hours by car from
                Philly is about all I can do.

                Ron Kushnier
              • Dan
                Message 7 of 19 , Aug 2, 2006
                  I like the idea of Local Chapters
                  Although, there's only probably only 2 of us out here that are
                  considered 'active' on our list.
                  I guess Pittsburgh is not exactly considered "Mid-Atlantic", more like
                  "Far-Atlantic"
                  Sort of like a remote outpost.
                  It's about a 6hr drive, depending how fast you race over the mountains.
                  Long Island was alot closer when I lived there years ago.

                  =Dan

                  [My Corner of Cyberspace http://ragooman.home.comcast.net/ ]
                  [Pittsburgh Robotics Society http://www.pghrobotics.org/ ]
                  [Pgh Vintage Comp.Society groups.yahoo.com/group/pghvintagecomp/ ]