RE: [midatlanticretro] Everyone -- please reply to this email

  • Kelly Leavitt
    Message 1 of 19 , Aug 1, 2006
      Sridhar:
      I'll be heading to the swap meet. I'm about an hour south of you. I'm sure we could work it out if you want to ride with Ann and I.

      Kelly

      Message 2 of 19 , Aug 1, 2006
        Kelly Leavitt wrote:
        > I'll be heading to the swap meet. I'm about an hour south of you. I'm sure we could work it out if you want to ride with Ann and I.

        That sounds good to me. Thanks.

        Peace... Sridhar
      • Herb Johnson
        Message 3 of 19 , Aug 1, 2006

          > A simple query ... regarding the Boston trip, have I grossly
          misjudged what
          > MARCHins are interested in doing, activity-wise?
          >
          > We've got 100+ people on this list, only two people beside me want
          to go,
          > and only a handful of others declined for various personal / scheduling
          > reasons. So what about the other 90-ish people...?

          > I crave your feedback.
          >
          > - Evan

          You asked for feedback. I already posted that, in effect, the Boston
          event was too expensive as described. Plus, I just came from points
          north of that; plus the likely heat. I could say more, but it would
          amount to saying I have less money to spend than others - that's
          embarassing and personal.

          As for the 100 plus members of the list; Evan, sort that list by
          distance from Boston. Consider that the cost of the trip, including
          the hotel (if the room is not shared), plus food, plus CAR travel to
          and from Boston and RI, would likely be over $400. And I think you can
          eliminate flying in for the event, that would add hundreds easily.
          Consequently anyone more than say 400 miles away from Boston is not
          likely to attend. That distance would be south of Trenton NJ. I'm not
          sure how far west to extend it, but you get the idea.

          Herb Johnson
          usual .sig omitted
        • Christian R. Fandt
          Message 4 of 19 , Aug 1, 2006
            Upon the date 06:03 PM 7/31/2006, Evan Koblentz said something like:
            >A simple query ... regarding the Boston trip, have I grossly misjudged what
            >MARCHins are interested in doing, activity-wise?
            >
            >We've got 100+ people on this list, only two people beside me want to go,
            >and only a handful of others declined for various personal / scheduling
            >reasons. So what about the other 90-ish people...?

            Well, in my case, distance is the thing that prevents me from joining *any*
            MARCH activity. The activities planned and presented are around 7 to 9
            hours drive away from Jamestown. A days' drive each way eliminates my
            attendance because of work, stuff needed to do around the house/family, etc.

            >A big-picture plea ... it's very hard to run a group if the constituents
            >rarely speak up about what they want from the group ... I like to think I
            >understand my fellow vintage computer nerds, but who really knows? So, let
            >this email stand as the catalyst for a brainstorming thread please!

            I do indeed enjoy some of the discussions and reports on activities that
            MARCH and fellow members have undertaken. Please keep it up.

            >In addition to our museum work, VCF, and the swapmeet, what else should
            >MARCH do for fun? Or do most people think that's enough; is this all we
            >want from the group?

            Boy, I wish I was close to the museum. I could pitch in occasionally and
            I've got several items I'd like to donate, perhaps including an IBM 9370/65
            (I ne-e-e-e-d space!).

            >I crave your feedback.

            Heck, I *crave* being close to a bigger city which has neat things and
            groups like MARCH.

            My main interest is history of electrical/electronic communication. I've
            been very active in the AWA (see URL below) for about 30 years now, plus
            being an officer in same over the past several years. But, the nearest
            major radio activities are 90 and 150 miles distant. As some of you might
            know, several in the NJARC (sp.?) are AWA members along with being Radio
            Amateurs.

            However, I've quietly amassed an eclectic bunch of classic computing
            machines over time.

            -Chris F.

            NNNN

            Christian Fandt, Electronic/Electrical Historian
            Jamestown, NY USA cfandt@...
            Member of Antique Wireless Association
              >>> Well, in my case, distance is the thing that prevents me from joining
              *any* MARCH activity. The activities planned and presented are around 7 to 9
              hours drive away from Jamestown.

              You guys have indoor plumbing and paved roads up there?
            • William Donzelli
              Message 6 of 19 , Aug 1, 2006
                > You guys have indoor plumbing and paved roads up there?

                They even have electricity, inlike parts of Queens.

                I think that MARCH should probably have several local chapters - even
                completely informal - where the "locals" could meet and do stuff. One
                of these days one will form around Poughkeepsie, NY, where real
                computers come from.

                --
                Will
              • Sridhar Ayengar
                Message 7 of 19 , Aug 2, 2006
                  William Donzelli wrote:
                  >> You guys have indoor plumbing and paved roads up there?
                  >
                  > They even have electricity, inlike parts of Queens.
                  >
                  > I think that MARCH should probably have several local chapters - even
                  > completely informal - where the "locals" could meet and do stuff. One
                  > of these days one will form around Poughkeepsie, NY, where real
                  > computers come from.

                  Damn straight!

                  Peace... Sridhar
                • rkushnier
                  Message 8 of 19 , Aug 2, 2006
                    Sorry,

                    Boston's too far for me to travel. One or two hours by car from
                    Philly is about all I can do.

                    Ron Kushnier
                  • Dan
                    Message 9 of 19 , Aug 2, 2006
                      I like the idea of Local Chapters
                      Although, there's only probably only 2 of us out here that are
                      considered 'active' on our list.
                      I guess Pittsburgh is not exactly considered "Mid-Atlantic", more like
                      "Far-Atlantic"
                      Sort of like a remote outpost.
                      It's about a 6hr drive, depending how fast you race over the mountains.
                      Long Island was alot closer when I lived there years ago.

                      =Dan

                      [My Corner of Cyberspace http://ragooman.home.comcast.net/ ]
                      [Pittsburgh Robotics Society http://www.pghrobotics.org/ ]
                      [Pgh Vintage Comp.Society groups.yahoo.com/group/pghvintagecomp/ ]