Re: [midatlanticretro] Everyone -- please reply to this email

  • William Pechter
    Message 1 of 19 , Aug 1, 2006
      I'd have been there in a minute... Unfortunately, the job has me rolling out remote sites in Canada and my boss is going to be out of town and I've got the support and pager that weekend.

      A little more lead time to schedule the trip in and I'd have been there.

      Bill

      Evan Koblentz <evan@...> wrote:
      A simple query ... regarding the Boston trip, have I grossly misjudged what
      MARCHins are interested in doing, activity-wise?

      We've got 100+ people on this list, only two people beside me want to go,
      and only a handful of others declined for various personal / scheduling
      reasons. So what about the other 90-ish people...?

      A big-picture plea ... it's very hard to run a group if the constituents
      rarely speak up about what they want from the group ... I like to think I
      understand my fellow vintage computer nerds, but who really knows? So, let
      this email stand as the catalyst for a brainstorming thread please!

      In addition to our museum work, VCF, and the swapmeet, what else should
      MARCH do for fun? Or do most people think that's enough; is this all we
      want from the group?

      I crave your feedback.

      - Evan

    • Kelly Leavitt
      Message 2 of 19 , Aug 1, 2006
        Sridhar:
        I'll be heading to the swap meet. I'm about an hour south of you. I'm sure we could work it out if you want to ride with Ann and I.

        Kelly

        Message 3 of 19 , Aug 1, 2006
          Kelly Leavitt wrote:
          > I'll be heading to the swap meet. I'm about an hour south of you. I'm sure we could work it out if you want to ride with Ann and I.

          That sounds good to me. Thanks.

          Peace... Sridhar
        • Herb Johnson
          Message 4 of 19 , Aug 1, 2006

            > A simple query ... regarding the Boston trip, have I grossly
            misjudged what
            > MARCHins are interested in doing, activity-wise?
            >
            > We've got 100+ people on this list, only two people beside me want
            to go,
            > and only a handful of others declined for various personal / scheduling
            > reasons. So what about the other 90-ish people...?

            > I crave your feedback.
            >
            > - Evan

            You asked for feedback. I already posted that, in effect, the Boston
            event was too expensive as described. Plus, I just came from points
            north of that; plus the likely heat. I could say more, but it would
            amount to saying I have less money to spend than others - that's
            embarassing and personal.

            As for the 100 plus members of the list; Evan, sort that list by
            distance from Boston. Consider that the cost of the trip, including
            the hotel (if the room is not shared), plus food, plus CAR travel to
            and from Boston and RI, would likely be over $400. And I think you can
            eliminate flying in for the event, that would add hundreds easily.
            Consequently anyone more than say 400 miles away from Boston is not
            likely to attend. That distance would be south of Trenton NJ. I'm not
            sure how far west to extend it, but you get the idea.

            Herb Johnson
            usual .sig omitted
          • Christian R. Fandt
            Message 5 of 19 , Aug 1, 2006
              Upon the date 06:03 PM 7/31/2006, Evan Koblentz said something like:
              >A simple query ... regarding the Boston trip, have I grossly misjudged what
              >MARCHins are interested in doing, activity-wise?
              >
              >We've got 100+ people on this list, only two people beside me want to go,
              >and only a handful of others declined for various personal / scheduling
              >reasons. So what about the other 90-ish people...?

              Well, in my case, distance is the thing that prevents me from joining *any*
              MARCH activity. The activities planned and presented are around 7 to 9
              hours drive away from Jamestown. A days' drive each way eliminates my
              attendance because of work, stuff needed to do around the house/family, etc.

              >A big-picture plea ... it's very hard to run a group if the constituents
              >rarely speak up about what they want from the group ... I like to think I
              >understand my fellow vintage computer nerds, but who really knows? So, let
              >this email stand as the catalyst for a brainstorming thread please!

              I do indeed enjoy some of the discussions and reports on activities that
              MARCH and fellow members have undertaken. Please keep it up.

              >In addition to our museum work, VCF, and the swapmeet, what else should
              >MARCH do for fun? Or do most people think that's enough; is this all we
              >want from the group?

              Boy, I wish I was close to the museum. I could pitch in occasionally and
              I've got several items I'd like to donate, perhaps including an IBM 9370/65
              (I ne-e-e-e-d space!).

              >I crave your feedback.

              Heck, I *crave* being close to a bigger city which has neat things and
              groups like MARCH.

              My main interest is history of electrical/electronic communication. I've
              been very active in the AWA (see URL below) for about 30 years now, plus
              being an officer in same over the past several years. But, the nearest
              major radio activities are 90 and 150 miles distant. As some of you might
              know, several in the NJARC (sp.?) are AWA members along with being Radio
              Amateurs.

              However, I've quietly amassed an eclectic bunch of classic computing
              machines over time.

              -Chris F.

              NNNN

              Christian Fandt, Electronic/Electrical Historian
              Jamestown, NY USA cfandt@...
              Member of Antique Wireless Association
                >>> Well, in my case, distance is the thing that prevents me from joining
                *any* MARCH activity. The activities planned and presented are around 7 to 9
                hours drive away from Jamestown.

                You guys have indoor plumbing and paved roads up there?
              • William Donzelli
                Message 7 of 19 , Aug 1, 2006
                  > You guys have indoor plumbing and paved roads up there?

                  They even have electricity, inlike parts of Queens.

                  I think that MARCH should probably have several local chapters - even
                  completely informal - where the "locals" could meet and do stuff. One
                  of these days one will form around Poughkeepsie, NY, where real
                  computers come from.

                  --
                  Will
                • Sridhar Ayengar
                  Message 8 of 19 , Aug 2, 2006
                    William Donzelli wrote:
                    >> You guys have indoor plumbing and paved roads up there?
                    >
                    > They even have electricity, inlike parts of Queens.
                    >
                    > I think that MARCH should probably have several local chapters - even
                    > completely informal - where the "locals" could meet and do stuff. One
                    > of these days one will form around Poughkeepsie, NY, where real
                    > computers come from.

                    Damn straight!

                    Peace... Sridhar
                  • rkushnier
                    Message 9 of 19 , Aug 2, 2006
                      Sorry,

                      Boston's too far for me to travel. One or two hours by car from
                      Philly is about all I can do.

                      Ron Kushnier
                    • Dan
                      Message 10 of 19 , Aug 2, 2006
                        I like the idea of Local Chapters
                        Although, there's only probably only 2 of us out here that are
                        considered 'active' on our list.
                        I guess Pittsburgh is not exactly considered "Mid-Atlantic", more like
                        "Far-Atlantic"
                        Sort of like a remote outpost.
                        It's about a 6hr drive, depending how fast you race over the mountains.
                        Long Island was alot closer when I lived there years ago.

                        =Dan

                        [My Corner of Cyberspace http://ragooman.home.comcast.net/ ]
                        [Pittsburgh Robotics Society http://www.pghrobotics.org/ ]
                        [Pgh Vintage Comp.Society groups.yahoo.com/group/pghvintagecomp/ ]