RE: [midatlanticretro] Everyone -- please reply to this email

  • Greg N Shari
    Message 1 of 19 , Aug 1, 2006
      Personally I loved the idea of the Boston Trip. I was even planning on going but then had some major things go wrong with my vehicle which chewed up the funds I had ear marked for this trip. If it were to be rescheduled to a later date (Sept - Oct) I would probably be able to attend then.

      I still need to get up to Infoage to see what we have there and I owe you guys some promised furniture and a podium. Hopefully, I will be able to do that soon at least, now that my van is in better working condition. lol

      Greg Manuel

        Message 3 of 19 , Aug 1, 2006
          Sridhar:
          I'll be heading to the swap meet. I'm about an hour south of you. I'm sure we could work it out if you want to ride with Ann and I.

          Kelly

          Message 4 of 19 , Aug 1, 2006
            Kelly Leavitt wrote:
            > I'll be heading to the swap meet. I'm about an hour south of you. I'm sure we could work it out if you want to ride with Ann and I.

            That sounds good to me. Thanks.

            Peace... Sridhar
          • Herb Johnson
            Message 5 of 19 , Aug 1, 2006

              > A simple query ... regarding the Boston trip, have I grossly
              misjudged what
              > MARCHins are interested in doing, activity-wise?
              >
              > We've got 100+ people on this list, only two people beside me want
              to go,
              > and only a handful of others declined for various personal / scheduling
              > reasons. So what about the other 90-ish people...?

              > I crave your feedback.
              >
              > - Evan

              You asked for feedback. I already posted that, in effect, the Boston
              event was too expensive as described. Plus, I just came from points
              north of that; plus the likely heat. I could say more, but it would
              amount to saying I have less money to spend than others - that's
              embarassing and personal.

              As for the 100 plus members of the list; Evan, sort that list by
              distance from Boston. Consider that the cost of the trip, including
              the hotel (if the room is not shared), plus food, plus CAR travel to
              and from Boston and RI, would likely be over $400. And I think you can
              eliminate flying in for the event, that would add hundreds easily.
              Consequently anyone more than say 400 miles away from Boston is not
              likely to attend. That distance would be south of Trenton NJ. I'm not
              sure how far west to extend it, but you get the idea.

              Herb Johnson
              usual .sig omitted
            • Christian R. Fandt
              Message 6 of 19 , Aug 1, 2006
                Upon the date 06:03 PM 7/31/2006, Evan Koblentz said something like:
                >A simple query ... regarding the Boston trip, have I grossly misjudged what
                >MARCHins are interested in doing, activity-wise?
                >
                >We've got 100+ people on this list, only two people beside me want to go,
                >and only a handful of others declined for various personal / scheduling
                >reasons. So what about the other 90-ish people...?

                Well, in my case, distance is the thing that prevents me from joining *any*
                MARCH activity. The activities planned and presented are around 7 to 9
                hours drive away from Jamestown. A days' drive each way eliminates my
                attendance because of work, stuff needed to do around the house/family, etc.

                >A big-picture plea ... it's very hard to run a group if the constituents
                >rarely speak up about what they want from the group ... I like to think I
                >understand my fellow vintage computer nerds, but who really knows? So, let
                >this email stand as the catalyst for a brainstorming thread please!

                I do indeed enjoy some of the discussions and reports on activities that
                MARCH and fellow members have undertaken. Please keep it up.

                >In addition to our museum work, VCF, and the swapmeet, what else should
                >MARCH do for fun? Or do most people think that's enough; is this all we
                >want from the group?

                Boy, I wish I was close to the museum. I could pitch in occasionally and
                I've got several items I'd like to donate, perhaps including an IBM 9370/65
                (I ne-e-e-e-d space!).

                >I crave your feedback.

                Heck, I *crave* being close to a bigger city which has neat things and
                groups like MARCH.

                My main interest is history of electrical/electronic communication. I've
                been very active in the AWA (see URL below) for about 30 years now, plus
                being an officer in same over the past several years. But, the nearest
                major radio activities are 90 and 150 miles distant. As some of you might
                know, several in the NJARC (sp.?) are AWA members along with being Radio
                Amateurs.

                However, I've quietly amassed an eclectic bunch of classic computing
                machines over time.

                -Chris F.

                NNNN

                Christian Fandt, Electronic/Electrical Historian
                Jamestown, NY USA cfandt@...
                Member of Antique Wireless Association
                  >>> Well, in my case, distance is the thing that prevents me from joining
                  *any* MARCH activity. The activities planned and presented are around 7 to 9
                  hours drive away from Jamestown.

                  You guys have indoor plumbing and paved roads up there?
                • William Donzelli
                  Message 8 of 19 , Aug 1, 2006
                    > You guys have indoor plumbing and paved roads up there?

                    They even have electricity, inlike parts of Queens.

                    I think that MARCH should probably have several local chapters - even
                    completely informal - where the "locals" could meet and do stuff. One
                    of these days one will form around Poughkeepsie, NY, where real
                    computers come from.

                    --
                    Will
                  • Sridhar Ayengar
                    Message 9 of 19 , Aug 2, 2006
                      William Donzelli wrote:
                      >> You guys have indoor plumbing and paved roads up there?
                      >
                      > They even have electricity, inlike parts of Queens.
                      >
                      > I think that MARCH should probably have several local chapters - even
                      > completely informal - where the "locals" could meet and do stuff. One
                      > of these days one will form around Poughkeepsie, NY, where real
                      > computers come from.

                      Damn straight!

                      Peace... Sridhar
                    • rkushnier
                      Message 10 of 19 , Aug 2, 2006
                        Sorry,

                        Boston's too far for me to travel. One or two hours by car from
                        Philly is about all I can do.

                        Ron Kushnier
                      • Dan
                        Message 11 of 19 , Aug 2, 2006
                          I like the idea of Local Chapters
                          Although, there's only probably only 2 of us out here that are
                          considered 'active' on our list.
                          I guess Pittsburgh is not exactly considered "Mid-Atlantic", more like
                          "Far-Atlantic"
                          Sort of like a remote outpost.
                          It's about a 6hr drive, depending how fast you race over the mountains.
                          Long Island was alot closer when I lived there years ago.

                          =Dan

                          [My Corner of Cyberspace http://ragooman.home.comcast.net/ ]
                          [Pittsburgh Robotics Society http://www.pghrobotics.org/ ]
                          [Pgh Vintage Comp.Society groups.yahoo.com/group/pghvintagecomp/ ]