Re: [midatlanticretro] Everyone -- please reply to this email

  • Sridhar Ayengar
    Message 1 of 19 , Jul 31, 2006
      Joe Giliberti wrote:
      > I can't come on this road trip, and I think you can understand why, my
      > age being what it is.

      Neither of your parents would be interested in coming along?

      Peace... Sridhar
      Message 2 of 19 , Aug 1, 2006
        I hadn't specifically thought of it as a three-seasons-per-year hobby, but
        you have a good point.

        There were already three times this summer when I had to miss a car club
        event because of a MARCH or InfoAge event. Maybe a car club isn't of
        interest to most people here, but it was important to me, and I was sad to
        have to choose. Similarly, the August and September editions of this year's
        MIT swapfest happen to correspond with very important Yankees vs. Red Sox
        series, and then in October there are the playoffs and of course football (I
        have Giants season tickets.) LOL, I fully understand that to most computer
        nerds things like car clubs and pennant-race baseball and the NFL are
        completely irrelevant, but they're all really important to me. MARCH is
        equally important to me and, quite honestly, I try hard to plan our events
        around other things in my life and in all of your lives too, especially when
        people contact me about overlapping committments. So if we do still go to
        Boston in a few weeks or in Sept./Oct., however it all shakes out, don't be
        too surprised if I walk around with headphones on for a sports broadcast.

        Having said all that, here's what I propose (this is also based on the other
        should go as planned Aug. 19-20, we'll return with a detailed report, and
        then if people are feeling enticed, we'll send another expedition with
        different people in the fall. Of course all are still welcome to join in
        for the 8/19-20 trip. I'll probably join in on the successive trips, on the
        condition that the Yankees have already clinched a playoff spot, etc. :)

        Okay?

        Message 3 of 19 , Aug 1, 2006
          Personally I loved the idea of the Boston Trip. I was even planning on going but then had some major things go wrong with my vehicle which chewed up the funds I had ear marked for this trip. If it were to be rescheduled to a later date (Sept - Oct) I would probably be able to attend then.

          I still need to get up to Infoage to see what we have there and I owe you guys some promised furniture and a podium. Hopefully, I will be able to do that soon at least, now that my van is in better working condition. lol

          Greg Manuel

            Message 5 of 19 , Aug 1, 2006
              Sridhar:
              I'll be heading to the swap meet. I'm about an hour south of you. I'm sure we could work it out if you want to ride with Ann and I.

              Kelly

              Message 6 of 19 , Aug 1, 2006
                Kelly Leavitt wrote:
                > I'll be heading to the swap meet. I'm about an hour south of you. I'm sure we could work it out if you want to ride with Ann and I.

                That sounds good to me. Thanks.

                Peace... Sridhar
              • Herb Johnson
                Message 7 of 19 , Aug 1, 2006

                  > A simple query ... regarding the Boston trip, have I grossly
                  misjudged what
                  > MARCHins are interested in doing, activity-wise?
                  >
                  > We've got 100+ people on this list, only two people beside me want
                  to go,
                  > and only a handful of others declined for various personal / scheduling
                  > reasons. So what about the other 90-ish people...?

                  > I crave your feedback.
                  >
                  > - Evan

                  You asked for feedback. I already posted that, in effect, the Boston
                  event was too expensive as described. Plus, I just came from points
                  north of that; plus the likely heat. I could say more, but it would
                  amount to saying I have less money to spend than others - that's
                  embarassing and personal.

                  As for the 100 plus members of the list; Evan, sort that list by
                  distance from Boston. Consider that the cost of the trip, including
                  the hotel (if the room is not shared), plus food, plus CAR travel to
                  and from Boston and RI, would likely be over $400. And I think you can
                  eliminate flying in for the event, that would add hundreds easily.
                  Consequently anyone more than say 400 miles away from Boston is not
                  likely to attend. That distance would be south of Trenton NJ. I'm not
                  sure how far west to extend it, but you get the idea.

                  Herb Johnson
                  usual .sig omitted
                • Christian R. Fandt
                  Message 8 of 19 , Aug 1, 2006
                    Upon the date 06:03 PM 7/31/2006, Evan Koblentz said something like:
                    >A simple query ... regarding the Boston trip, have I grossly misjudged what
                    >MARCHins are interested in doing, activity-wise?
                    >
                    >We've got 100+ people on this list, only two people beside me want to go,
                    >and only a handful of others declined for various personal / scheduling
                    >reasons. So what about the other 90-ish people...?

                    Well, in my case, distance is the thing that prevents me from joining *any*
                    MARCH activity. The activities planned and presented are around 7 to 9
                    hours drive away from Jamestown. A days' drive each way eliminates my
                    attendance because of work, stuff needed to do around the house/family, etc.

                    >A big-picture plea ... it's very hard to run a group if the constituents
                    >rarely speak up about what they want from the group ... I like to think I
                    >understand my fellow vintage computer nerds, but who really knows? So, let
                    >this email stand as the catalyst for a brainstorming thread please!

                    I do indeed enjoy some of the discussions and reports on activities that
                    MARCH and fellow members have undertaken. Please keep it up.

                    >In addition to our museum work, VCF, and the swapmeet, what else should
                    >MARCH do for fun? Or do most people think that's enough; is this all we
                    >want from the group?

                    Boy, I wish I was close to the museum. I could pitch in occasionally and
                    I've got several items I'd like to donate, perhaps including an IBM 9370/65
                    (I ne-e-e-e-d space!).

                    >I crave your feedback.

                    Heck, I *crave* being close to a bigger city which has neat things and
                    groups like MARCH.

                    My main interest is history of electrical/electronic communication. I've
                    been very active in the AWA (see URL below) for about 30 years now, plus
                    being an officer in same over the past several years. But, the nearest
                    major radio activities are 90 and 150 miles distant. As some of you might
                    know, several in the NJARC (sp.?) are AWA members along with being Radio
                    Amateurs.

                    However, I've quietly amassed an eclectic bunch of classic computing
                    machines over time.

                    -Chris F.

                    NNNN

                    Christian Fandt, Electronic/Electrical Historian
                    Jamestown, NY USA cfandt@...
                    Member of Antique Wireless Association
                    Message 9 of 19 , Aug 1, 2006
                      >>> Well, in my case, distance is the thing that prevents me from joining
                      *any* MARCH activity. The activities planned and presented are around 7 to 9
                      hours drive away from Jamestown.

                      You guys have indoor plumbing and paved roads up there?
                    • William Donzelli
                      Message 10 of 19 , Aug 1, 2006
                        > You guys have indoor plumbing and paved roads up there?

                        They even have electricity, inlike parts of Queens.

                        I think that MARCH should probably have several local chapters - even
                        completely informal - where the "locals" could meet and do stuff. One
                        of these days one will form around Poughkeepsie, NY, where real
                        computers come from.

                        --
                        Will
                      • Sridhar Ayengar
                        Message 11 of 19 , Aug 2, 2006
                          William Donzelli wrote:
                          >> You guys have indoor plumbing and paved roads up there?
                          >
                          > They even have electricity, inlike parts of Queens.
                          >
                          > I think that MARCH should probably have several local chapters - even
                          > completely informal - where the "locals" could meet and do stuff. One
                          > of these days one will form around Poughkeepsie, NY, where real
                          > computers come from.

                          Damn straight!

                          Peace... Sridhar
                        • rkushnier
                          Message 12 of 19 , Aug 2, 2006
                            Sorry,

                            Boston's too far for me to travel. One or two hours by car from
                            Philly is about all I can do.

                            Ron Kushnier
                          • Dan
                            Message 13 of 19 , Aug 2, 2006
                              I like the idea of Local Chapters
                              Although, there's only probably only 2 of us out here that are
                              considered 'active' on our list.
                              I guess Pittsburgh is not exactly considered "Mid-Atlantic", more like
                              "Far-Atlantic"
                              Sort of like a remote outpost.
                              It's about a 6hr drive, depending how fast you race over the mountains.
                              Long Island was alot closer when I lived there years ago.

                              =Dan

                              [My Corner of Cyberspace http://ragooman.home.comcast.net/ ]
                              [Pittsburgh Robotics Society http://www.pghrobotics.org/ ]
                              [Pgh Vintage Comp.Society groups.yahoo.com/group/pghvintagecomp/ ]