Re: [midatlanticretro] Everyone -- please reply to this email

  • Sridhar Ayengar
    Message 1 of 19 , Jul 31, 2006
      Evan Koblentz wrote:
      > A simple query ... regarding the Boston trip, have I grossly misjudged what
      > MARCHins are interested in doing, activity-wise?
      >
      > We've got 100+ people on this list, only two people beside me want to go,
      > and only a handful of others declined for various personal / scheduling
      > reasons. So what about the other 90-ish people...?
      >
      > A big-picture plea ... it's very hard to run a group if the constituents
      > rarely speak up about what they want from the group ... I like to think I
      > understand my fellow vintage computer nerds, but who really knows? So, let
      > this email stand as the catalyst for a brainstorming thread please!
      >
      > In addition to our museum work, VCF, and the swapmeet, what else should
      > MARCH do for fun? Or do most people think that's enough; is this all we
      > want from the group?
      >
      > I crave your feedback.

      I think it could be interesting to get a bunch of our personal machines
      out to an unusual venue (like a beach or something) and get them talking
      to each other in various interesting ways. Just having a group hack
      session could itself be fun.

      I would definitely like to pay a visit to RICM, as you were indicating
      would be possible for this trip.

      And I'd also like to say that I had an absolute blast at HOPE.

      Peace... Sridhar
    • Sridhar Ayengar
      Message 2 of 19 , Jul 31, 2006
        Mike Loewen wrote:
        >> In addition to our museum work, VCF, and the swapmeet, what else should
        >> MARCH do for fun? Or do most people think that's enough; is this all we
        >> want from the group?
        >
        > If I were closer to the action, I would welcome more frequent
        > get-togethers: bull sessions, vintage demos, repair sessions, show and
        > tell. Homebrew computer club sort of things.

        <AOL>Me too.</AOL>

        I think one of the main problems I have getting together with the rest
        of you is that I am pretty far away. For the swap meet, for example.
        I'd love to go, but I'm having trouble swinging it, since it is more
        than 3.5 hours away.

        Peace... Sridhar
      • Sridhar Ayengar
        Message 3 of 19 , Jul 31, 2006
          Joe Giliberti wrote:
          > I can't come on this road trip, and I think you can understand why, my
          > age being what it is.

          Neither of your parents would be interested in coming along?

          Peace... Sridhar
          Message 4 of 19 , Aug 1 12:01 AM
            I hadn't specifically thought of it as a three-seasons-per-year hobby, but
            you have a good point.

            There were already three times this summer when I had to miss a car club
            event because of a MARCH or InfoAge event. Maybe a car club isn't of
            interest to most people here, but it was important to me, and I was sad to
            have to choose. Similarly, the August and September editions of this year's
            MIT swapfest happen to correspond with very important Yankees vs. Red Sox
            series, and then in October there are the playoffs and of course football (I
            have Giants season tickets.) LOL, I fully understand that to most computer
            nerds things like car clubs and pennant-race baseball and the NFL are
            completely irrelevant, but they're all really important to me. MARCH is
            equally important to me and, quite honestly, I try hard to plan our events
            around other things in my life and in all of your lives too, especially when
            people contact me about overlapping committments. So if we do still go to
            Boston in a few weeks or in Sept./Oct., however it all shakes out, don't be
            too surprised if I walk around with headphones on for a sports broadcast.

            Having said all that, here's what I propose (this is also based on the other
            should go as planned Aug. 19-20, we'll return with a detailed report, and
            then if people are feeling enticed, we'll send another expedition with
            different people in the fall. Of course all are still welcome to join in
            for the 8/19-20 trip. I'll probably join in on the successive trips, on the
            condition that the Yankees have already clinched a playoff spot, etc. :)

            Okay?

            Message 5 of 19 , Aug 1 12:41 AM
              Personally I loved the idea of the Boston Trip. I was even planning on going but then had some major things go wrong with my vehicle which chewed up the funds I had ear marked for this trip. If it were to be rescheduled to a later date (Sept - Oct) I would probably be able to attend then.

              I still need to get up to Infoage to see what we have there and I owe you guys some promised furniture and a podium. Hopefully, I will be able to do that soon at least, now that my van is in better working condition. lol

              Greg Manuel

              A simple query ... regarding the Boston trip, have I grossly misjudged what
              MARCHins are interested in doing, activity-wise?

              We've got 100+ people on this list, only two people beside me want to go,
              and only a handful of others declined for various personal / scheduling
              reasons. So what about the other 90-ish people...?

              A big-picture plea ... it's very hard to run a group if the constituents
              rarely speak up about what they want from the group ... I like to think I
              understand my fellow vintage computer nerds, but who really knows? So, let
              this email stand as the catalyst for a brainstorming thread please!

              In addition to our museum work, VCF, and the swapmeet, what else should
              MARCH do for fun? Or do most people think that's enough; is this all we
              want from the group?

              I crave your feedback.

              - Evan

              It has removed 3859 spam emails to date.
              Try SPAMfighter for free now!
            • William Pechter

                Message 7 of 19 , Aug 1 6:15 AM
                  Sridhar:
                  I'll be heading to the swap meet. I'm about an hour south of you. I'm sure we could work it out if you want to ride with Ann and I.

                  Kelly

                  >> In addition to our museum work, VCF, and the swapmeet, what else should
                  >> MARCH do for fun? Or do most people think that's enough; is this all we
                  >> want from the group?
                  >
                  > If I were closer to the action, I would welcome more frequent
                  > get-togethers: bull sessions, vintage demos, repair sessions, show and
                  > tell. Homebrew computer club sort of things.

                  <AOL>Me too.</AOL>

                  I think one of the main problems I have getting together with the rest
                  of you is that I am pretty far away. For the swap meet, for example.
                  I'd love to go, but I'm having trouble swinging it, since it is more
                  than 3.5 hours away.

                  Peace... Sridhar

                  Yahoo! Groups Links
                • Sridhar Ayengar
                  Message 8 of 19 , Aug 1 6:51 AM
                    Kelly Leavitt wrote:
                    > I'll be heading to the swap meet. I'm about an hour south of you. I'm sure we could work it out if you want to ride with Ann and I.

                    That sounds good to me. Thanks.

                    Peace... Sridhar
                  • Herb Johnson
                    Message 9 of 19 , Aug 1 10:08 AM

                      > A simple query ... regarding the Boston trip, have I grossly
                      misjudged what
                      > MARCHins are interested in doing, activity-wise?
                      >
                      > We've got 100+ people on this list, only two people beside me want
                      to go,
                      > and only a handful of others declined for various personal / scheduling
                      > reasons. So what about the other 90-ish people...?

                      > I crave your feedback.
                      >
                      > - Evan

                      You asked for feedback. I already posted that, in effect, the Boston
                      event was too expensive as described. Plus, I just came from points
                      north of that; plus the likely heat. I could say more, but it would
                      amount to saying I have less money to spend than others - that's
                      embarassing and personal.

                      As for the 100 plus members of the list; Evan, sort that list by
                      distance from Boston. Consider that the cost of the trip, including
                      the hotel (if the room is not shared), plus food, plus CAR travel to
                      and from Boston and RI, would likely be over $400. And I think you can
                      eliminate flying in for the event, that would add hundreds easily.
                      Consequently anyone more than say 400 miles away from Boston is not
                      likely to attend. That distance would be south of Trenton NJ. I'm not
                      sure how far west to extend it, but you get the idea.

                      Herb Johnson
                      usual .sig omitted
                    • Christian R. Fandt
                      Message 10 of 19 , Aug 1 4:32 PM
                        Upon the date 06:03 PM 7/31/2006, Evan Koblentz said something like:
                        >A simple query ... regarding the Boston trip, have I grossly misjudged what
                        >MARCHins are interested in doing, activity-wise?
                        >
                        >We've got 100+ people on this list, only two people beside me want to go,
                        >and only a handful of others declined for various personal / scheduling
                        >reasons. So what about the other 90-ish people...?

                        Well, in my case, distance is the thing that prevents me from joining *any*
                        MARCH activity. The activities planned and presented are around 7 to 9
                        hours drive away from Jamestown. A days' drive each way eliminates my
                        attendance because of work, stuff needed to do around the house/family, etc.

                        >A big-picture plea ... it's very hard to run a group if the constituents
                        >rarely speak up about what they want from the group ... I like to think I
                        >understand my fellow vintage computer nerds, but who really knows? So, let
                        >this email stand as the catalyst for a brainstorming thread please!

                        I do indeed enjoy some of the discussions and reports on activities that
                        MARCH and fellow members have undertaken. Please keep it up.

                        >In addition to our museum work, VCF, and the swapmeet, what else should
                        >MARCH do for fun? Or do most people think that's enough; is this all we
                        >want from the group?

                        Boy, I wish I was close to the museum. I could pitch in occasionally and
                        I've got several items I'd like to donate, perhaps including an IBM 9370/65
                        (I ne-e-e-e-d space!).

                        >I crave your feedback.

                        Heck, I *crave* being close to a bigger city which has neat things and
                        groups like MARCH.

                        My main interest is history of electrical/electronic communication. I've
                        been very active in the AWA (see URL below) for about 30 years now, plus
                        being an officer in same over the past several years. But, the nearest
                        major radio activities are 90 and 150 miles distant. As some of you might
                        know, several in the NJARC (sp.?) are AWA members along with being Radio
                        Amateurs.

                        However, I've quietly amassed an eclectic bunch of classic computing
                        machines over time.

                        -Chris F.

                        NNNN

                        Christian Fandt, Electronic/Electrical Historian
                        Jamestown, NY USA cfandt@...
                        Member of Antique Wireless Association
                        Message 11 of 19 , Aug 1 4:53 PM
                          >>> Well, in my case, distance is the thing that prevents me from joining
                          *any* MARCH activity. The activities planned and presented are around 7 to 9
                          hours drive away from Jamestown.

                          You guys have indoor plumbing and paved roads up there?
                        • William Donzelli
                          Message 12 of 19 , Aug 1 5:53 PM
                            > You guys have indoor plumbing and paved roads up there?

                            They even have electricity, inlike parts of Queens.

                            I think that MARCH should probably have several local chapters - even
                            completely informal - where the "locals" could meet and do stuff. One
                            of these days one will form around Poughkeepsie, NY, where real
                            computers come from.

                            --
                            Will
                          • Sridhar Ayengar
                            Message 13 of 19 , Aug 2 7:54 AM
                              William Donzelli wrote:
                              >> You guys have indoor plumbing and paved roads up there?
                              >
                              > They even have electricity, inlike parts of Queens.
                              >
                              > I think that MARCH should probably have several local chapters - even
                              > completely informal - where the "locals" could meet and do stuff. One
                              > of these days one will form around Poughkeepsie, NY, where real
                              > computers come from.

                              Damn straight!

                              Peace... Sridhar
                            • rkushnier
                              Message 14 of 19 , Aug 2 9:29 AM
                                Sorry,

                                Boston's too far for me to travel. One or two hours by car from
                                Philly is about all I can do.

                                Ron Kushnier
                              • Dan
                                Message 15 of 19 , Aug 2 6:47 PM
                                  I like the idea of Local Chapters
                                  Although, there's only probably only 2 of us out here that are
                                  considered 'active' on our list.
                                  I guess Pittsburgh is not exactly considered "Mid-Atlantic", more like
                                  "Far-Atlantic"
                                  Sort of like a remote outpost.
                                  It's about a 6hr drive, depending how fast you race over the mountains.
                                  Long Island was alot closer when I lived there years ago.

                                  =Dan

                                  [My Corner of Cyberspace http://ragooman.home.comcast.net/ ]
                                  [Pittsburgh Robotics Society http://www.pghrobotics.org/ ]
                                  [Pgh Vintage Comp.Society groups.yahoo.com/group/pghvintagecomp/ ]