Everyone -- please reply to this email

    Message 1 of 19 , Jul 31 3:03 PM
      A simple query ... regarding the Boston trip, have I grossly misjudged what
      MARCHins are interested in doing, activity-wise?

      We've got 100+ people on this list, only two people beside me want to go,
      and only a handful of others declined for various personal / scheduling
      reasons. So what about the other 90-ish people...?

      A big-picture plea ... it's very hard to run a group if the constituents
      rarely speak up about what they want from the group ... I like to think I
      understand my fellow vintage computer nerds, but who really knows? So, let
      this email stand as the catalyst for a brainstorming thread please!

      In addition to our museum work, VCF, and the swapmeet, what else should
      MARCH do for fun? Or do most people think that's enough; is this all we
      want from the group?

      I crave your feedback.

      - Evan
    • Mike Loewen
      Message 2 of 19 , Jul 31 4:03 PM
        On Mon, 31 Jul 2006, Evan Koblentz wrote:

        > A simple query ... regarding the Boston trip, have I grossly misjudged what
        > MARCHins are interested in doing, activity-wise?

        Personally, I would love to take such a trip, but my busy schedule
        dictates that I carefully choose my out of town ventures. I decided that
        the October swap meet would be a better idea.

        > In addition to our museum work, VCF, and the swapmeet, what else should
        > MARCH do for fun? Or do most people think that's enough; is this all we
        > want from the group?

        If I were closer to the action, I would welcome more frequent
        get-togethers: bull sessions, vintage demos, repair sessions, show and
        tell. Homebrew computer club sort of things.

        Mike Loewen mloewen@...
      • Joe Giliberti
        Message 3 of 19 , Jul 31 4:37 PM
          I can't come on this road trip, and I think you can understand why, my age being what it is.

          On 7/31/06, Mike Loewen < mloewen@...> wrote:

          On Mon, 31 Jul 2006, Evan Koblentz wrote:

          > A simple query ... regarding the Boston trip, have I grossly misjudged what
          > MARCHins are interested in doing, activity-wise?

          Personally, I would love to take such a trip, but my busy schedule
          dictates that I carefully choose my out of town ventures. I decided that
          the October swap meet would be a better idea.

          > In addition to our museum work, VCF, and the swapmeet, what else should
          > MARCH do for fun? Or do most people think that's enough; is this all we
          > want from the group?

          If I were closer to the action, I would welcome more frequent
          get-togethers: bull sessions, vintage demos, repair sessions, show and
          tell. Homebrew computer club sort of things.

          Mike Loewen mloewen@...

        • David Comley
          Message 4 of 19 , Jul 31 7:39 PM
            --- Evan Koblentz <evan@...> wrote:

            > A simple query ... regarding the Boston trip, have I
            > grossly misjudged what
            > MARCHins are interested in doing, activity-wise?

            This may be a seasonal issue. I often think of the
            hobby as being something of a non-summer time
            activity. Part of why I think that way is that I have
            all my gear in the attic with no air conditioning - it
            gets darned hot up there, so there are literally times
            when I can't power anything up because I don't want
            systems failing due to thermal runaway. From the
            autumn through around May is when I'm most active in
            the hobby.

            So maybe this is a timing thing - folks are on
            vacation or doing other things just because it's that
            time of year.

            Anyone else have an opinion on the 'seasonality' of
            the hobby ?

            http://mail.yahoo.com
          • Sridhar Ayengar
            Message 5 of 19 , Jul 31 7:48 PM
              Evan Koblentz wrote:
              > A simple query ... regarding the Boston trip, have I grossly misjudged what
              > MARCHins are interested in doing, activity-wise?
              >
              > We've got 100+ people on this list, only two people beside me want to go,
              > and only a handful of others declined for various personal / scheduling
              > reasons. So what about the other 90-ish people...?
              >
              > A big-picture plea ... it's very hard to run a group if the constituents
              > rarely speak up about what they want from the group ... I like to think I
              > understand my fellow vintage computer nerds, but who really knows? So, let
              > this email stand as the catalyst for a brainstorming thread please!
              >
              > In addition to our museum work, VCF, and the swapmeet, what else should
              > MARCH do for fun? Or do most people think that's enough; is this all we
              > want from the group?
              >
              > I crave your feedback.

              I think it could be interesting to get a bunch of our personal machines
              out to an unusual venue (like a beach or something) and get them talking
              to each other in various interesting ways. Just having a group hack
              session could itself be fun.

              I would definitely like to pay a visit to RICM, as you were indicating
              would be possible for this trip.

              And I'd also like to say that I had an absolute blast at HOPE.

              Peace... Sridhar
            • Sridhar Ayengar
              Message 6 of 19 , Jul 31 7:50 PM
                Mike Loewen wrote:
                >> In addition to our museum work, VCF, and the swapmeet, what else should
                >> MARCH do for fun? Or do most people think that's enough; is this all we
                >> want from the group?
                >
                > If I were closer to the action, I would welcome more frequent
                > get-togethers: bull sessions, vintage demos, repair sessions, show and
                > tell. Homebrew computer club sort of things.

                <AOL>Me too.</AOL>

                I think one of the main problems I have getting together with the rest
                of you is that I am pretty far away. For the swap meet, for example.
                I'd love to go, but I'm having trouble swinging it, since it is more
                than 3.5 hours away.

                Peace... Sridhar
              • Sridhar Ayengar
                Message 7 of 19 , Jul 31 7:51 PM
                  Joe Giliberti wrote:
                  > I can't come on this road trip, and I think you can understand why, my
                  > age being what it is.

                  Neither of your parents would be interested in coming along?

                  Peace... Sridhar
                  Message 8 of 19 , Aug 1, 2006
                    I hadn't specifically thought of it as a three-seasons-per-year hobby, but
                    you have a good point.

                    There were already three times this summer when I had to miss a car club
                    event because of a MARCH or InfoAge event. Maybe a car club isn't of
                    interest to most people here, but it was important to me, and I was sad to
                    have to choose. Similarly, the August and September editions of this year's
                    MIT swapfest happen to correspond with very important Yankees vs. Red Sox
                    series, and then in October there are the playoffs and of course football (I
                    have Giants season tickets.) LOL, I fully understand that to most computer
                    nerds things like car clubs and pennant-race baseball and the NFL are
                    completely irrelevant, but they're all really important to me. MARCH is
                    equally important to me and, quite honestly, I try hard to plan our events
                    around other things in my life and in all of your lives too, especially when
                    people contact me about overlapping committments. So if we do still go to
                    Boston in a few weeks or in Sept./Oct., however it all shakes out, don't be
                    too surprised if I walk around with headphones on for a sports broadcast.

                    Having said all that, here's what I propose (this is also based on the other
                    should go as planned Aug. 19-20, we'll return with a detailed report, and
                    then if people are feeling enticed, we'll send another expedition with
                    different people in the fall. Of course all are still welcome to join in
                    for the 8/19-20 trip. I'll probably join in on the successive trips, on the
                    condition that the Yankees have already clinched a playoff spot, etc. :)

                    Okay?

                    > A simple query ... regarding the Boston trip, have I grossly misjudged
                    > what MARCHins are interested in doing, activity-wise?

                    This may be a seasonal issue. I often think of the
                    hobby as being something of a non-summer time
                    activity. Part of why I think that way is that I have
                    all my gear in the attic with no air conditioning - it
                    gets darned hot up there, so there are literally times
                    when I can't power anything up because I don't want
                    systems failing due to thermal runaway. From the
                    autumn through around May is when I'm most active in
                    the hobby.

                    So maybe this is a timing thing - folks are on
                    vacation or doing other things just because it's that
                    time of year.

                    Anyone else have an opinion on the 'seasonality' of
                    the hobby ?

                  • Greg N Shari
                    Message 9 of 19 , Aug 1, 2006
                      Personally I loved the idea of the Boston Trip. I was even planning on going but then had some major things go wrong with my vehicle which chewed up the funds I had ear marked for this trip. If it were to be rescheduled to a later date (Sept - Oct) I would probably be able to attend then.

                      I still need to get up to Infoage to see what we have there and I owe you guys some promised furniture and a podium. Hopefully, I will be able to do that soon at least, now that my van is in better working condition. lol

                      Greg Manuel

                      A simple query ... regarding the Boston trip, have I grossly misjudged what
                      MARCHins are interested in doing, activity-wise?

                      We've got 100+ people on this list, only two people beside me want to go,
                      and only a handful of others declined for various personal / scheduling
                      reasons. So what about the other 90-ish people...?

                      A big-picture plea ... it's very hard to run a group if the constituents
                      rarely speak up about what they want from the group ... I like to think I
                      understand my fellow vintage computer nerds, but who really knows? So, let
                      this email stand as the catalyst for a brainstorming thread please!

                      In addition to our museum work, VCF, and the swapmeet, what else should
                      MARCH do for fun? Or do most people think that's enough; is this all we
                      want from the group?

                      I crave your feedback.

                      - Evan

                      It has removed 3859 spam emails to date.
                      Try SPAMfighter for free now!
                    • William Pechter

                        Message 11 of 19 , Aug 1, 2006
                          Sridhar:
                          I'll be heading to the swap meet. I'm about an hour south of you. I'm sure we could work it out if you want to ride with Ann and I.

                          Kelly

                          >> In addition to our museum work, VCF, and the swapmeet, what else should
                          >> MARCH do for fun? Or do most people think that's enough; is this all we
                          >> want from the group?
                          >
                          > If I were closer to the action, I would welcome more frequent
                          > get-togethers: bull sessions, vintage demos, repair sessions, show and
                          > tell. Homebrew computer club sort of things.

                          <AOL>Me too.</AOL>

                          I think one of the main problems I have getting together with the rest
                          of you is that I am pretty far away. For the swap meet, for example.
                          I'd love to go, but I'm having trouble swinging it, since it is more
                          than 3.5 hours away.

                          Peace... Sridhar

                          Yahoo! Groups Links
                        • Sridhar Ayengar
                          Message 12 of 19 , Aug 1, 2006
                            Kelly Leavitt wrote:
                            > I'll be heading to the swap meet. I'm about an hour south of you. I'm sure we could work it out if you want to ride with Ann and I.

                            That sounds good to me. Thanks.

                            Peace... Sridhar
                          • Herb Johnson
                            Message 13 of 19 , Aug 1, 2006

                              > A simple query ... regarding the Boston trip, have I grossly
                              misjudged what
                              > MARCHins are interested in doing, activity-wise?
                              >
                              > We've got 100+ people on this list, only two people beside me want
                              to go,
                              > and only a handful of others declined for various personal / scheduling
                              > reasons. So what about the other 90-ish people...?

                              > I crave your feedback.
                              >
                              > - Evan

                              You asked for feedback. I already posted that, in effect, the Boston
                              event was too expensive as described. Plus, I just came from points
                              north of that; plus the likely heat. I could say more, but it would
                              amount to saying I have less money to spend than others - that's
                              embarassing and personal.

                              As for the 100 plus members of the list; Evan, sort that list by
                              distance from Boston. Consider that the cost of the trip, including
                              the hotel (if the room is not shared), plus food, plus CAR travel to
                              and from Boston and RI, would likely be over $400. And I think you can
                              eliminate flying in for the event, that would add hundreds easily.
                              Consequently anyone more than say 400 miles away from Boston is not
                              likely to attend. That distance would be south of Trenton NJ. I'm not
                              sure how far west to extend it, but you get the idea.

                              Herb Johnson
                              usual .sig omitted
                            • Christian R. Fandt
                              Message 14 of 19 , Aug 1, 2006
                                Upon the date 06:03 PM 7/31/2006, Evan Koblentz said something like:
                                >A simple query ... regarding the Boston trip, have I grossly misjudged what
                                >MARCHins are interested in doing, activity-wise?
                                >
                                >We've got 100+ people on this list, only two people beside me want to go,
                                >and only a handful of others declined for various personal / scheduling
                                >reasons. So what about the other 90-ish people...?

                                Well, in my case, distance is the thing that prevents me from joining *any*
                                MARCH activity. The activities planned and presented are around 7 to 9
                                hours drive away from Jamestown. A days' drive each way eliminates my
                                attendance because of work, stuff needed to do around the house/family, etc.

                                >A big-picture plea ... it's very hard to run a group if the constituents
                                >rarely speak up about what they want from the group ... I like to think I
                                >understand my fellow vintage computer nerds, but who really knows? So, let
                                >this email stand as the catalyst for a brainstorming thread please!

                                I do indeed enjoy some of the discussions and reports on activities that
                                MARCH and fellow members have undertaken. Please keep it up.

                                >In addition to our museum work, VCF, and the swapmeet, what else should
                                >MARCH do for fun? Or do most people think that's enough; is this all we
                                >want from the group?

                                Boy, I wish I was close to the museum. I could pitch in occasionally and
                                I've got several items I'd like to donate, perhaps including an IBM 9370/65
                                (I ne-e-e-e-d space!).

                                >I crave your feedback.

                                Heck, I *crave* being close to a bigger city which has neat things and
                                groups like MARCH.

                                My main interest is history of electrical/electronic communication. I've
                                been very active in the AWA (see URL below) for about 30 years now, plus
                                being an officer in same over the past several years. But, the nearest
                                major radio activities are 90 and 150 miles distant. As some of you might
                                know, several in the NJARC (sp.?) are AWA members along with being Radio
                                Amateurs.

                                However, I've quietly amassed an eclectic bunch of classic computing
                                machines over time.

                                -Chris F.

                                NNNN

                                Christian Fandt, Electronic/Electrical Historian
                                Jamestown, NY USA cfandt@...
                                Member of Antique Wireless Association
                                  >>> Well, in my case, distance is the thing that prevents me from joining
                                  *any* MARCH activity. The activities planned and presented are around 7 to 9
                                  hours drive away from Jamestown.

                                  You guys have indoor plumbing and paved roads up there?
                                • William Donzelli
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Aug 1, 2006
                                    > You guys have indoor plumbing and paved roads up there?

                                    They even have electricity, inlike parts of Queens.

                                    I think that MARCH should probably have several local chapters - even
                                    completely informal - where the "locals" could meet and do stuff. One
                                    of these days one will form around Poughkeepsie, NY, where real
                                    computers come from.

                                    --
                                    Will
                                  • Sridhar Ayengar
                                    Message 17 of 19 , Aug 2, 2006
                                      William Donzelli wrote:
                                      >> You guys have indoor plumbing and paved roads up there?
                                      >
                                      > They even have electricity, inlike parts of Queens.
                                      >
                                      > I think that MARCH should probably have several local chapters - even
                                      > completely informal - where the "locals" could meet and do stuff. One
                                      > of these days one will form around Poughkeepsie, NY, where real
                                      > computers come from.

                                      Damn straight!

                                      Peace... Sridhar
                                    • rkushnier
                                      Message 18 of 19 , Aug 2, 2006
                                        Sorry,

                                        Boston's too far for me to travel. One or two hours by car from
                                        Philly is about all I can do.

                                        Ron Kushnier
                                      • Dan
                                        Message 19 of 19 , Aug 2, 2006
                                          I like the idea of Local Chapters
                                          Although, there's only probably only 2 of us out here that are
                                          considered 'active' on our list.
                                          I guess Pittsburgh is not exactly considered "Mid-Atlantic", more like
                                          "Far-Atlantic"
                                          Sort of like a remote outpost.
                                          It's about a 6hr drive, depending how fast you race over the mountains.
                                          Long Island was alot closer when I lived there years ago.

                                          =Dan

                                          [My Corner of Cyberspace http://ragooman.home.comcast.net/ ]
                                          [Pittsburgh Robotics Society http://www.pghrobotics.org/ ]
                                          [Pgh Vintage Comp.Society groups.yahoo.com/group/pghvintagecomp/ ]