Re: More people for Boston trip?

  • Herb Johnson
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 31, 2006
      > ..AAug 18-20....
      > So far it's just me, Jim Scheef, and David Comley -- and three
      people isn't
      > much of an adventure -- is anyone else interested at all?
      >
      >.... Yesterday we found a phenonenal hotel rate of only
      > $134 right near the MIT campus (Kendall Sq.) which includes wifi,
      breakfast,
      > and parking.
      >
      > - Evan

      If budget is an issue, it's reasonable to consider staying outside of
      Boston in the subburbs and taking the "T" into Kendal Square via one
      of the surburban trains. I've visited Boston many times; the trains
      run regularly and fairly late; they are not terribly expensive. Also
      they save driving in and out of Cambridge and other places. I consider
      the T as fun, they seem clean enough...

      Seems to me, if you plan driving to RI anyway, stay well south of
      Boston and just take the T in and around Boston for those events. Or
      carpool. There are some Motel 6's south of Boston, prices in the
      mid-$70's. Spend the difference in $$$ on food.

      If I go, I'd drive up and stay with relatives nearby. But I just got
      back from a week in NH/VT and if I go to the MIT flea market, I'd go
      to sell so I'd do it in Sept/Oct when there is more activity (i.e.
      students). It's unlikely I'll make this August trip.

      Also, the weather has been hot as hell lately. Will it get better two
      weeks from now? LEt's check weather.com for Boston...the ten-day is
      highs from low to mid-80's at 60% humidity and sunny. Sounds kinda
      hot, in the wrong way...

      Just some comments..

      Herb Johnson

      Herbert R. Johnson, New Jersey USA
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 31, 2006
        Herb, I respectfully disagree. The subway up there closes shortly after
        midnight, and since this trip only involves one overnight stay, it's vastly
        easier to be in the heart of Cambridge. As mentioned in a prior update, the
        $134 price even includes parking, WiFi, and breakfast. I'm as poor as
        anyone else here, and I think the price is quite good.

        BUT ... would more people go if we changed it to September or October?
        Please speak up now, everyone ...

        > So far it's just me, Jim Scheef, and David Comley -- and three
        people isn't
        > much of an adventure -- is anyone else interested at all?
        >
        >.... Yesterday we found a phenonenal hotel rate of only
        > $134 right near the MIT campus (Kendall Sq.) which includes wifi,
        breakfast,
        > and parking.
        >
        > - Evan

        If budget is an issue, it's reasonable to consider staying outside of Boston
        in the subburbs and taking the "T" into Kendal Square via one of the
        surburban trains. I've visited Boston many times; the trains run regularly
        and fairly late; they are not terribly expensive. Also they save driving in
        and out of Cambridge and other places. I consider the T as fun, they seem
        clean enough...

        Seems to me, if you plan driving to RI anyway, stay well south of Boston and
        just take the T in and around Boston for those events. Or carpool. There are
        some Motel 6's south of Boston, prices in the mid-$70's. Spend the
        difference in $$$ on food.

        If I go, I'd drive up and stay with relatives nearby. But I just got back
        from a week in NH/VT and if I go to the MIT flea market, I'd go to sell so
        I'd do it in Sept/Oct when there is more activity (i.e.
        students). It's unlikely I'll make this August trip.

        Also, the weather has been hot as hell lately. Will it get better two weeks
        from now? LEt's check weather.com for Boston...the ten-day is highs from low
        to mid-80's at 60% humidity and sunny. Sounds kinda hot, in the wrong way...

        Just some comments..

        Herb Johnson

        Herbert R. Johnson, New Jersey USA
        href="http://retrotechnology.net/herbs_stuff/"> domain mirror</a> my email
        address: hjohnson AAT retrotechnology DOTT com if no reply, try in a few
        days: herbjohnson ATT comcast DOTT net "Herb's Stuff": old Mac, SGI, 8-inch
        floppy drives S-100 IMSAI Altair computers, docs, by "Dr. S-100"

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • Bryan Pope
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 31, 2006
          Evan Koblentz wrote:
          > Herb, I respectfully disagree. The subway up there closes shortly after
          > midnight, and since this trip only involves one overnight stay, it's vastly
          > easier to be in the heart of Cambridge. As mentioned in a prior update, the
          > $134 price even includes parking, WiFi, and breakfast. I'm as poor as
          > anyone else here, and I think the price is quite good.
          >
          > BUT ... would more people go if we changed it to September or October?
          > Please speak up now, everyone ...

          With my current situation August isn't a good month as I will be moving
          at the end of it... September or October would be much better for me.

          Thanks,

          Bryan
        • Sridhar Ayengar
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 31, 2006
            Evan Koblentz wrote:
            > Herb, I respectfully disagree. The subway up there closes shortly after
            > midnight, and since this trip only involves one overnight stay, it's vastly
            > easier to be in the heart of Cambridge. As mentioned in a prior update, the
            > $134 price even includes parking, WiFi, and breakfast. I'm as poor as
            > anyone else here, and I think the price is quite good.
            >
            > BUT ... would more people go if we changed it to September or October?
            > Please speak up now, everyone ...

            I would definitely go in September. One of my best friends is getting
            married in October, so I couldn't make it the weekend of the 12th, if
            that's when the flea market is.

            It's not so much that I didn't have the money, it's that I had other
            things I *need* to spend it on.

            Peace... Sridhar