The Boston Road Trip

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 26, 2006
      Hey everyone,

      Put on your traveling shoes and lets head to Beantown. In many ways, Boston was the cradle of the computer industry - certainly the mini-computer industry. Come along and we'll learn something about our hobby. The visit to the Rhode Island Computer Museum will give us a chance to see a museum that's already up and running. What does it look like and what do we think about how they did it? What is displayed and how? How do they protect their exhibits? We can learn from their experience. Beyond that, they have lots of old and rare equipment. The MIT Flea will be fun, plus there is the Harvard Mark I and lots of other things to see like the Tech Model Railroad Club - the birthplace of hacking and open source. Walk the same sidewalks as the very first hackers. (Read Steven Levy's book if you don't believe me.) Evan had a list of museums and historic (computer) stuff for us to visit but I can't find it right now.

      While $134 may seem expensive, this *is* Boston. If you want a cheap hotel, go to Iowa and look for computer history there. (Some people think the computer was invented there.) Or you can come to Boston where at least they make some good beer.

      Jim