More people for Boston trip?

    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 26, 2006
      So far it's just me, Jim Scheef, and David Comley -- and three people isn't
      much of an adventure -- is anyone else interested at all?

      To recap: our plan is to leave Friday morning, Aug. 18, and return Sunday
      afternoon/evening, Aug. 20. Likely stops on the itinerary are the Rhode
      Island Computer Museum, the MIT Museum, the "Flea @ MIT" swapmeet,
      Cambridge's three technical bookstores, the Harvard Mark-1 computer,
      You-Do-It Electronics (like a Home Depot but exclusively electronics!),
      probably one or two history-related stops (Boston has lots of those), and
      plenty of good food. Yesterday we found a phenonenal hotel rate of only
      $134 right near the MIT campus (Kendall Sq.) which includes wifi, breakfast,
      and parking.

      Conversely, if most people think the idea of a MARCH road trip is stupid,
      then please tell me and we'll change directions on the kinds of events that
      we plan. (I happen to think it'll be fun however.)

      - Evan
    • Sridhar Ayengar
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 26, 2006
        Evan Koblentz wrote:
        > So far it's just me, Jim Scheef, and David Comley -- and three people isn't
        > much of an adventure -- is anyone else interested at all?

        I'd love to go but $$$ is tight right now.

        Peace... Sridhar
      • Herb Johnson
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 31, 2006
          > ..AAug 18-20....
          > So far it's just me, Jim Scheef, and David Comley -- and three
          people isn't
          > much of an adventure -- is anyone else interested at all?
          >
          >.... Yesterday we found a phenonenal hotel rate of only
          > $134 right near the MIT campus (Kendall Sq.) which includes wifi,
          breakfast,
          > and parking.
          >
          > - Evan

          If budget is an issue, it's reasonable to consider staying outside of
          Boston in the subburbs and taking the "T" into Kendal Square via one
          of the surburban trains. I've visited Boston many times; the trains
          run regularly and fairly late; they are not terribly expensive. Also
          they save driving in and out of Cambridge and other places. I consider
          the T as fun, they seem clean enough...

          Seems to me, if you plan driving to RI anyway, stay well south of
          Boston and just take the T in and around Boston for those events. Or
          carpool. There are some Motel 6's south of Boston, prices in the
          mid-$70's. Spend the difference in $$$ on food.

          If I go, I'd drive up and stay with relatives nearby. But I just got
          back from a week in NH/VT and if I go to the MIT flea market, I'd go
          to sell so I'd do it in Sept/Oct when there is more activity (i.e.
          students). It's unlikely I'll make this August trip.

          Also, the weather has been hot as hell lately. Will it get better two
          weeks from now? LEt's check weather.com for Boston...the ten-day is
          highs from low to mid-80's at 60% humidity and sunny. Sounds kinda
          hot, in the wrong way...

          Just some comments..

          Herb Johnson

          Herbert R. Johnson, New Jersey USA
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 31, 2006
            Herb, I respectfully disagree. The subway up there closes shortly after
            midnight, and since this trip only involves one overnight stay, it's vastly
            easier to be in the heart of Cambridge. As mentioned in a prior update, the
            $134 price even includes parking, WiFi, and breakfast. I'm as poor as
            anyone else here, and I think the price is quite good.

            BUT ... would more people go if we changed it to September or October?
            Please speak up now, everyone ...

            > So far it's just me, Jim Scheef, and David Comley -- and three
            people isn't
            > much of an adventure -- is anyone else interested at all?
            >
            >.... Yesterday we found a phenonenal hotel rate of only
            > $134 right near the MIT campus (Kendall Sq.) which includes wifi,
            breakfast,
            > and parking.
            >
            > - Evan

            If budget is an issue, it's reasonable to consider staying outside of Boston
            in the subburbs and taking the "T" into Kendal Square via one of the
            surburban trains. I've visited Boston many times; the trains run regularly
            and fairly late; they are not terribly expensive. Also they save driving in
            and out of Cambridge and other places. I consider the T as fun, they seem
            clean enough...

            Seems to me, if you plan driving to RI anyway, stay well south of Boston and
            just take the T in and around Boston for those events. Or carpool. There are
            some Motel 6's south of Boston, prices in the mid-$70's. Spend the
            difference in $$$ on food.

            If I go, I'd drive up and stay with relatives nearby. But I just got back
            from a week in NH/VT and if I go to the MIT flea market, I'd go to sell so
            I'd do it in Sept/Oct when there is more activity (i.e.
            students). It's unlikely I'll make this August trip.

            Also, the weather has been hot as hell lately. Will it get better two weeks
            from now? LEt's check weather.com for Boston...the ten-day is highs from low
            to mid-80's at 60% humidity and sunny. Sounds kinda hot, in the wrong way...

            Just some comments..

            Herb Johnson

            Herbert R. Johnson, New Jersey USA
            href="http://retrotechnology.net/herbs_stuff/"> domain mirror</a> my email
            address: hjohnson AAT retrotechnology DOTT com if no reply, try in a few
            days: herbjohnson ATT comcast DOTT net "Herb's Stuff": old Mac, SGI, 8-inch
            floppy drives S-100 IMSAI Altair computers, docs, by "Dr. S-100"

            Yahoo! Groups Links
          • Bryan Pope
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 31, 2006
              Evan Koblentz wrote:
              > Herb, I respectfully disagree. The subway up there closes shortly after
              > midnight, and since this trip only involves one overnight stay, it's vastly
              > easier to be in the heart of Cambridge. As mentioned in a prior update, the
              > $134 price even includes parking, WiFi, and breakfast. I'm as poor as
              > anyone else here, and I think the price is quite good.
              >
              > BUT ... would more people go if we changed it to September or October?
              > Please speak up now, everyone ...

              With my current situation August isn't a good month as I will be moving
              at the end of it... September or October would be much better for me.

              Thanks,

              Bryan
            • Sridhar Ayengar
              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 31, 2006
                Evan Koblentz wrote:
                > Herb, I respectfully disagree. The subway up there closes shortly after
                > midnight, and since this trip only involves one overnight stay, it's vastly
                > easier to be in the heart of Cambridge. As mentioned in a prior update, the
                > $134 price even includes parking, WiFi, and breakfast. I'm as poor as
                > anyone else here, and I think the price is quite good.
                >
                > BUT ... would more people go if we changed it to September or October?
                > Please speak up now, everyone ...

                I would definitely go in September. One of my best friends is getting
                married in October, so I couldn't make it the weekend of the 12th, if
                that's when the flea market is.

                It's not so much that I didn't have the money, it's that I had other
                things I *need* to spend it on.

                Peace... Sridhar