Re: [midatlanticretro] looking for MS-Fortran (early)

  • BOYD BORRILL
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 27, 2005
      Hi;
           I don't remember a MS Fortran, although that doesn't mean much,, but Cromrmco had a very good Fortran compiler written for the Z80, if that is any help.
      Ray Borrill

      billdeg@... wrote:
      Chris,
      The only compiler for an 8088/6 I could find was a BASIC compiler.  I have
      not looked through all of my software, it may still exist.  I have a FORTRAN
      book, so there is hope.
      Bill

      In a message dated 4/26/2005 7:40:17 PM Eastern Standard Time,
      chrism3667@... writes:

      > An 8088 Bill. If you have one of the awfully rare semi-compatible versions
      -
      > Tandy 2000, NEC APC III, TIPC, etc - that will do rather nicely also.
      >   I guess I should have specified for a puter with an Intel processor. I'd
      be
      > interested to see whatever version you had though.

      Pioneer Purveyor of Personal Processing Power
    • Chris M
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 27, 2005

        BOYD BORRILL <b.r.borrill@...> wrote:
        Hi;
             I don't remember a MS Fortran, although that doesn't mean much,, but Cromrmco had a very good Fortran compiler written for the Z80, if that is any help.
        Ray Borrill

        There were many versions from Microsoft. When Computer Factory went out of business about 1990, they had a big clearance sale in Middletown, NY. Why I ramble on about this stuff, I don't know. There was a boxed version there for 100 bucks, but I said no way. I think it was version 5.x.
         I'll bet there's a Fortran history page somewhere on the net (I should know by now you'd think!). If not, it would be an interesting undertaking.

        billdeg@... wrote:
        ...so there is hope...

        YO! Thanks!

        http://mail.yahoo.com

      • John Allain
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 27, 2005
          There was a MS Fortran > "Powerstation" < product.
          But perhaps as late as 1989 IIRC.

          "Fortran Powerstation" Googles very well.

          John A.
        • BOYD BORRILL
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 27, 2005
            Chris, I used Yahoo search and entered: MS Fortran, then clicked on SEARXH
                 The first numbered item on the result was a complete discri[tion of every version of MS Fortran, and more.  I tried to find it with Google, without any luck
            Ray Borill

            Chris M <chrism3667@...> wrote:

            BOYD BORRILL <b.r.borrill@...> wrote:
            Hi;
                 I don't remember a MS Fortran, although that doesn't mean much,, but Cromrmco had a very good Fortran compiler written for the Z80, if that is any help.
            Ray Borrill

            There were many versions from Microsoft. When Computer Factory went out of business about 1990, they had a big clearance sale in Middletown, NY. Why I ramble on about this stuff, I don't know. There was a boxed version there for 100 bucks, but I said no way. I think it was version 5.x.
             I'll bet there's a Fortran history page somewhere on the net (I should know by now you'd think!). If not, it would be an interesting undertaking.

            billdeg@... wrote:
            ...so there is hope...

            YO! Thanks!

            http://mail.yahoo.com

            Pioneer Purveyor of Personal Processing Power