Last chance for a free HOPE pass

    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 20, 2006
      The "Hackers On Planet Earth" conference is this weekend, and MARCH will
      have an exhibit there on Saturday, in support of Sellam Ismail's panel about
      our hobby. For those who missed the past trillion messages on this subject:
      HOPE is at the Hotel Pennsylvania, right across the street from Penn Station
      / Madison Square Garden. Saturday's exhibits open at 9AM and we can start
      setting up at 8AM. So far it's me, Sridhar, Bill Degnan, Bill Sudbrink, and
      his son Ben. Sellam will hang out with us too, on and off throughout the
      day. Anyone else who is still interested, let me know *** TODAY ** so I can
      send your name to the conference organizers who are arranging our free
      passes.

      The event's web site is http://www.hopenumbersix.net/.

      - Evan
    • Sridhar Ayengar
      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 20, 2006
        Evan Koblentz wrote:
        > The "Hackers On Planet Earth" conference is this weekend, and MARCH will
        > have an exhibit there on Saturday, in support of Sellam Ismail's panel about
        > our hobby. For those who missed the past trillion messages on this subject:
        > HOPE is at the Hotel Pennsylvania, right across the street from Penn Station
        > / Madison Square Garden. Saturday's exhibits open at 9AM and we can start
        > setting up at 8AM. So far it's me, Sridhar, Bill Degnan, Bill Sudbrink, and
        > his son Ben. Sellam will hang out with us too, on and off throughout the
        > day. Anyone else who is still interested, let me know *** TODAY ** so I can
        > send your name to the conference organizers who are arranging our free
        > passes.
        >
        > The event's web site is http://www.hopenumbersix.net/.

        I need to make a change. I will still be coming, but my Sol-20 is a bit
        worse off since the last time I powered it up, and will need some TLC.
        If you don't mind, I'll bring an IBM 5155 Portable Personal Computer and
        Zork I through III. Is that alright?

        Peace... Sridhar
      • Bill Sudbrink
        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 20, 2006
          I'll bring my Sol.

          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 20, 2006
            Okay. I'd prefer that you bring something other than a portable, since I'm
            bringing portables too (probably the Grid, etc.), but I certainly understand
            that schlepping things into NYC is not easy.

            Which is why I asked my father for a lift -- big car.

            > The "Hackers On Planet Earth" conference is this weekend, and MARCH
            > will have an exhibit there on Saturday, in support of Sellam Ismail's
            > panel about our hobby. For those who missed the past trillion messages on
            this subject:
            > HOPE is at the Hotel Pennsylvania, right across the street from Penn
            > Station / Madison Square Garden. Saturday's exhibits open at 9AM and
            > we can start setting up at 8AM. So far it's me, Sridhar, Bill Degnan,
            > Bill Sudbrink, and his son Ben. Sellam will hang out with us too, on
            > and off throughout the day. Anyone else who is still interested, let
            > me know *** TODAY ** so I can send your name to the conference
            > organizers who are arranging our free passes.
            >
            > The event's web site is http://www.hopenumbersix.net/.

            I need to make a change. I will still be coming, but my Sol-20 is a bit
            worse off since the last time I powered it up, and will need some TLC.
            If you don't mind, I'll bring an IBM 5155 Portable Personal Computer and
            Zork I through III. Is that alright?

            Peace... Sridhar

            Great things are happening at Yahoo! Groups. See the new email design.
            http://us.click.yahoo.com/TISQkA/hOaOAA/yQLSAA/S_NqlB/TM
          • Sridhar Ayengar
            Message 5 of 11 , Jul 20, 2006
              Evan Koblentz wrote:
              > Okay. I'd prefer that you bring something other than a portable, since I'm
              > bringing portables too (probably the Grid, etc.), but I certainly understand
              > that schlepping things into NYC is not easy.
              >
              > Which is why I asked my father for a lift -- big car.

              I could bring a straight XT, but the 5155 looks enough like one that it
              wouldn't be much of a difference.

              Have you ever seen a 5155? It looks about as different from a GRiD as
              you can get. It's not really "portable". It's "heftable".

              Peace... Sridhar
              Message 6 of 11 , Jul 20, 2006
                I prefer "luggable" but "heftable" works just as well. Alas, I'm happy that
                anyone is bringing anything. :)

                Last night we had an InfoAge board meeting, so while down there I retrieved
                our MARCH banner and the PVC mounting stand. The PVC stuff belongs to
                InfoAge but Fred is happy to let us borrow it.

                I'll bring some MARCH flyers to distribute. Will probably also make a very
                simple poster about the invention of laptops. Bill / Bill / Sridhar -- are
                you guys preparing this kind of thing too? Nothing elaborate like at VCF
                though.

                > Okay. I'd prefer that you bring something other than a portable,
                > since I'm bringing portables too (probably the Grid, etc.), but I
                > certainly understand that schlepping things into NYC is not easy.
                >
                > Which is why I asked my father for a lift -- big car.

                I could bring a straight XT, but the 5155 looks enough like one that it
                wouldn't be much of a difference.

                Have you ever seen a 5155? It looks about as different from a GRiD as you
                can get. It's not really "portable". It's "heftable".

                Peace... Sridhar

                Something is new at Yahoo! Groups. Check out the enhanced email design.
                http://us.click.yahoo.com/SISQkA/gOaOAA/yQLSAA/S_NqlB/TM
              • Sridhar Ayengar
                Message 7 of 11 , Jul 20, 2006
                  Evan Koblentz wrote:
                  > I'll bring some MARCH flyers to distribute. Will probably also make a very
                  > simple poster about the invention of laptops. Bill / Bill / Sridhar -- are
                  > you guys preparing this kind of thing too? Nothing elaborate like at VCF
                  > though.

                  I'll probably bring a page or two about the history of Zork.

                  Peace... Sridhar
                • Sridhar Ayengar
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jul 20, 2006
                    Evan Koblentz wrote:
                    > I prefer "luggable" but "heftable" works just as well. Alas, I'm happy that
                    > anyone is bringing anything. :)

                    I think this machine might be too heavy to be classified as "luggable". 8-)

                    Peace... Sridhar
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jul 20, 2006
                      Mike Nadeau's book says it weighs 30 pounds. I know people who carry more
                      in fat around their waistline.

                      Message 10 of 11 , Jul 20, 2006
                        Evan Koblentz wrote:
                        > I'll bring some MARCH flyers to distribute. Will probably also
                        > make a very simple poster about the invention of laptops.
                        > Bill / Bill / Sridhar -- are you guys preparing this kind of
                        > thing too? Nothing elaborate like at VCF though.

                        I was planning to set up period documents as signage. Similar
                        to my display at VCFE 2.0 (see the picture in the VCF gallery).
                        My word processing/graphic design skills suck.
                        Message 11 of 11 , Jul 20, 2006
                          I am going to work on my exhibit Firday night. I am super busy,
                          but I am going to leave first thing in the AM Sat. I am looking
                          forward to this event. I will have something presentable.

                          I don't see why we all can't bring laptops/luggables and have this
                          be the overall theme. It would make my life a lot easier giving
                          the travel by train. But I will bring my Rockwell AIM 65. Note
                          I have no idea how to use it so it will be a static exhibit. Or
                          I can bring working Visual Commuter or SX-64

                          Bill

                          At Thursday, 20 July 2006, you wrote:

                          >I prefer "luggable" but "heftable" works just as well. Alas, I'm
                          happy that
                          >anyone is bringing anything. :)
                          >
                          >Last night we had an InfoAge board meeting, so while down there
                          I retrieved
                          >our MARCH banner and the PVC mounting stand. The PVC stuff belongs to
                          >InfoAge but Fred is happy to let us borrow it.
                          >
                          >I'll bring some MARCH flyers to distribute. Will probably also make
                          a very
                          >simple poster about the invention of laptops. Bill / Bill / Sridhar
                          -- are
                          >you guys preparing this kind of thing too? Nothing elaborate like
                          at VCF
                          >though.

                          -- E N D --