New Items for Swap Meet or InfoAge

    Message 1 of 14 , Jul 19, 2006
      I have received the following items. These will be put into the
      auction in October and the remainder will be offered for donation
      to InfoAge.

      1. Banyan Systems network File Server BNS386 (anyone know VINES?)

      2. Wangwriter Model 5503 c. 1980

      3. IBM Displaywriter System Chassis (without monitor or keyboard)

      4. Synoptics Mod 2350 8 port concentrator (2)

      5. Novell Netware Security Key Card c. 1988

      6. Excelan, Inc. 8 port ethernet (pre 10b 2) hub

      7. Kinetics model KFPS-4 Ethernet-->Apple Talk boxes. 10 base2
      802.3B (2)

      8. Hitachi 2.4 MB 5/14 drive HFD532EIU internal, unsure what this
      would go into.

      9. Chatterbox Series 4000 backplane for ?? by J & L Information
      Systems.

      If anyone is interested in these items, let me know.

      Bill D

      -- E N D --
    • Bryan Pope
      Message 2 of 14 , Jul 19, 2006
        B Degnan wrote:
        > 5. Novell Netware Security Key Card c. 1988

        This *sounds* interesting... Is it like one of those RSA key chain
        thingies or just have a mag stripe? Or something else?

        Cheers,

        Bryan
        Message 3 of 14 , Jul 19, 2006
          It's a card that you stick into the slot of a computer. Not ISA.

          Message 4 of 14 , Jul 20, 2006
            Bill,

            1. I would like to play with the Banyan server if it has the software. StreetTalk was the first directory-based LAN OS. There is a lot of interesting history surrounding this. After polluting my basement for a while I would move it to the museum. I'd like to build the most convoluted network possible in the museum as a demonstration of "vintage LANs and protocols". When you look at these vintage LAN products, it's easy to see why TCP/IP on Ethernet won. Banyan is a good example of a great product where the company shot itself in the foot. (The Tandy of networks.)

            2. Is the Wangwriter a multi-user system? Do you have any terminals? This might be a good choice for the museum as an example of the pinacle of the "word processor era". [FWTW, WangNet was possibly the most difficult to install and run networks ever sold. Naturally GF chose it as the backbone for LANs in the 'new' headquarters because it was broadband and thus supported video distribution as well as data. At best it barely supported the Wang word processors.]

            3. sell it

            4. Is this a TokenRing MAU? If so, it's museum material.

            5. I'm not sure what this is but I suspect it is the hardware 'license key" Novell used as copy protection. If that's correct, please hang on to it for the museum. We may need it.

            6. Is this a ThinNET (coax) device or is it for StarLAN (early 1Mbps twisted pair LAN)? Either way, let's keep it.

            7. Appletalk to Ethernet bridge - sounds cool - let's keep it.

            8. & 9. ???? No idea.

            Jim

            Message 5 of 14 , Jul 20, 2006
              Bill,

              If it's not ISA, any idea what bus it fits?

              Jim

              Message 6 of 14 , Jul 20, 2006
                This may help:
                It's a Novell NetWare Security Key Card used as an early copy protection
                scheme using hardware to protect operating system software. This
                card was required to be plugged into the Novell file server motherboard
                in order for the system to run. Circa 1988.
                Bill D

                At Thursday, 20 July 2006, you wrote:

                >Bill,If it's not ISA, any idea what bus it fits?Jim----- Original
                Message ----From: B. Degnan <billdeg@...>To: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.
                comSent: Wednesday, July 19, 2006 7:06:22 PMSubject: Re: [midatlanticretro]
                New Items for Swap Meet or InfoAge

                > It's a card that you stick into the slot of a computer.
                Not ISA.

                >At 05:36 PM 7/19/2006 -0400, you wrote:
                >>B Degnan wrote:
                >> > 5. Novell Netware Security Key Card c. 1988
                >> >

                >>This *sounds* interesting. .. Is it like one of those RSA key chain
                >>thingies or just have a mag stripe? Or something else?
                >>
                >>Cheers,
                >>
                >>Bryan

                -- E N D --
                Message 7 of 14 , Jul 21, 2006
                  Bill,

                  Please hang on to it. We'll need it when I find a copy of Netware 3.

                  Jim

                  It's a Novell NetWare Security Key Card used as an early copy protection
                  scheme using hardware to protect operating system software. This
                  card was required to be plugged into the Novell file server motherboard
                  in order for the system to run. Circa 1988.
                  Bill D

                  At Thursday, 20 July 2006, you wrote:

                  >Bill,If it's not ISA, any idea what bus it fits?Jim----- Original
                  Message ----From: B. Degnan <billdeg@...>To: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.
                  comSent: Wednesday, July 19, 2006 7:06:22 PMSubject: Re: [midatlanticretro]
                  New Items for Swap Meet or InfoAge

                  > It's a card that you stick into the slot of a computer.
                  Not ISA.

                  >At 05:36 PM 7/19/2006 -0400, you wrote:
                  >>B Degnan wrote:
                  >> > 5. Novell Netware Security Key Card c. 1988
                  >> >

                  >>This *sounds* interesting. .. Is it like one of those RSA key chain
                  >>thingies or just have a mag stripe? Or something else?
                  >>
                  >>Cheers,
                  >>
                  >>Bryan

                  -- E N D --

                  Yahoo! Groups Links
                • Kelly Leavitt
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jul 21, 2006
                    I have a copy of Netware 3.xx. In the box, with disks and manuals. I don't think it included a keycard though.

                    Please hang on to it. We'll need it when I find a copy of Netware 3.

                    Jim

                    It's a Novell NetWare Security Key Card used as an early copy protection
                    scheme using hardware to protect operating system software. This
                    card was required to be plugged into the Novell file server motherboard
                    in order for the system to run. Circa 1988.
                    Bill D

                    At Thursday, 20 July 2006, you wrote:

                    >Bill,If it's not ISA, any idea what bus it fits?Jim----- Original
                    Message ----From: B. Degnan <billdeg@...>To: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.
                    comSent: Wednesday, July 19, 2006 7:06:22 PMSubject: Re: [midatlanticretro]
                    New Items for Swap Meet or InfoAge

                    > It's a card that you stick into the slot of a computer.
                    Not ISA.

                    >At 05:36 PM 7/19/2006 -0400, you wrote:
                    >>B Degnan wrote:
                    >> > 5. Novell Netware Security Key Card c. 1988
                    >> >

                    >>This *sounds* interesting. .. Is it like one of those RSA key chain
                    >>thingies or just have a mag stripe? Or something else?
                    >>
                    >>Cheers,
                    >>
                    >>Bryan

                    -- E N D --

                    Great things are happening at Yahoo! Groups. See the new email design.
                    http://us.click.yahoo.com/TISQkA/hOaOAA/yQLSAA/S_NqlB/TM
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jul 21, 2006
                      I have the Netware 4.1 upgrade if anyone is interested in this.
                      Bill

                      Message 10 of 14 , Jul 21, 2006
                        Kelly and Bill,

                        Netware 3 is more the vintage era we're interested in, although 4 would be fun as well. Perhaps if we put this software together with the key card, we can make it all work!

                        Jim

                        Message ----From: B. Degnan <billdeg@degnanco. com>To: midatlanticretro@ yahoogroups.
                        comSent: Wednesday, July 19, 2006 7:06:22 PMSubject: Re: [midatlanticretro]
                        New Items for Swap Meet or InfoAge

                        > It's a card that you stick into the slot of a computer.
                        Not ISA.

                        >At 05:36 PM 7/19/2006 -0400, you wrote:
                        >>B Degnan wrote:
                        >> > 5. Novell Netware Security Key Card c. 1988
                        >> >

                        >>This *sounds* interesting. .. Is it like one of those RSA key chain
                        >>thingies or just have a mag stripe? Or something else?
                        >>
                        >>Cheers,
                        >>
                        >>Bryan

                        -- E N D --

                        Yahoo! Groups Links

                        ------------ --------- --- Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ------------ --------~ -->
                        ------------ --------- --------- --------- --------- --------- -~->

                        Message 11 of 14 , Jul 21, 2006
                          Understood.
                          I really don't consider any of this "vintage," 1988 for me is too new.  I hope to find a good home for the card though.
                          bd

                          At 02:55 PM 7/21/2006 -0700, you wrote:
                          Kelly and Bill,

                          Netware 3 is more the vintage era we're interested in, although 4 would be fun as well. Perhaps if we put this software together with the key card, we can make it all work!

                          Jim

                          I have a copy of Netware 3.xx. In the box, with disks and manuals. I don't think it included a keycard though.

                          Please hang on to it. We'll need it when I find a copy of Netware 3.

                          Jim

                          It's a Novell NetWare Security Key Card used as an early copy protection
                          scheme using hardware to protect operating system software. This
                          card was required to be plugged into the Novell file server motherboard
                          in order for the system to run. Circa 1988.
                          Bill D

                          At Thursday, 20 July 2006, you wrote:

                          >Bill,If it's not ISA, any idea what bus it fits?Jim---- - Original
                          Message ----From: B. Degnan <billdeg@degnanco. com>To: midatlanticretro@ yahoogroups.
                          comSent: Wednesday, July 19, 2006 7:06:22 PMSubject: Re: [midatlanticretro]
                          New Items for Swap Meet or InfoAge

                          > It's a card that you stick into the slot of a computer.
                          Not ISA.

                          >At 05:36 PM 7/19/2006 -0400, you wrote:
                          >>B Degnan wrote:
                          >> > 5. Novell Netware Security Key Card c. 1988
                          >> >

                          >>This *sounds* interesting. .. Is it like one of those RSA key chain
                          >>thingies or just have a mag stripe? Or something else?
                          >>
                          >>Cheers,
                          >>
                          >>Bryan

                          -- E N D --

                          Yahoo! Groups Links

                          ------------ --------- --- Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ------------ --------~ -->

                          Message 12 of 14 , Jul 21, 2006
                            I agree with Bill. This stuff doesn't interest me much, but I couldn't see it getting pitched.

                            I just checked. I have 3.11 with TCP/IP. 25 disketts, 10 or so books. If anyone has a need for this, let me know.

                            I don't think it requires a key card. It does have a serialization disk though.

                            5 user version.

                            Kelly
                            Netware 3 is more the vintage era we're interested in, although 4 would be fun as well. Perhaps if we put this software together with the key card, we can make it all work!

                            Jim

                            I have a copy of Netware 3.xx. In the box, with disks and manuals. I don't think it included a keycard though.

                            Please hang on to it. We'll need it when I find a copy of Netware 3.

                            Jim

                            It's a Novell NetWare Security Key Card used as an early copy protection
                            scheme using hardware to protect operating system software. This
                            card was required to be plugged into the Novell file server motherboard
                            in order for the system to run. Circa 1988.
                            Bill D

                            At Thursday, 20 July 2006, you wrote:

                            >Bill,If it's not ISA, any idea what bus it fits?Jim---- - Original
                            Message ----From: B. Degnan <billdeg@degnanco. com>To: midatlanticretro@ yahoogroups.
                            comSent: Wednesday, July 19, 2006 7:06:22 PMSubject: Re: [midatlanticretro]
                            New Items for Swap Meet or InfoAge

                            > It's a card that you stick into the slot of a computer.
                            Not ISA.

                            >At 05:36 PM 7/19/2006 -0400, you wrote:
                            >>B Degnan wrote:
                            >> > 5. Novell Netware Security Key Card c. 1988
                            >> >

                            >>This *sounds* interesting. .. Is it like one of those RSA key chain
                            >>thingies or just have a mag stripe? Or something else?
                            >>
                            >>Cheers,
                            >>
                            >>Bryan

                            -- E N D --

                            Yahoo! Groups Links

                            ------------ --------- --- Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ------------ --------~ -->

                            Message 13 of 14 , Oct 3, 2006
                              Bill,

                              And the Banyan server! Is there any software or documentation on this?

                              The Token Ring MAU should go to the museum along with the Kinetics model KFPS-4 Ethernet-->Apple Talk boxes.

                              These items can go from your van into my wagon and bypass the trip upstars. Or maybe I could come over to your house after the swap to pick up these things.

                              I plan to drive down on Friday, I can call you when I'm close enough to estimate an ETA.

                              Jim

                              Message 14 of 14 , Oct 4, 2006
                                OK. I planned to bring these items (below) to the swap meet, but we
                                can discuss what not to bring. The items are about 1/2 mile from the
                                event at my office and a decision can be made Friday.
                                bd

                                --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Jim Scheef <jscheef@...>