looking for MS-Fortran (early)

  • Chris M
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 26 4:25 PM

      Thank you Evan.

       I've been looking for an early Microsoft Fortran compiler for as long as I can remember. I obtained Cobol 2.0 the other day, whoopdeedoo. Anyone have it?

      http://mail.yahoo.com

    • billdeg@aol.com
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 26 4:31 PM
        I will take a look. What kind of PC do you want to run this on?
        Bill

        In a message dated 4/26/2005 7:26:36 PM Eastern Standard Time,
        chrism3667@... writes:

        > Thank you Evan.
        >
        > I've been looking for an early Microsoft Fortran compiler for as long as
        > can remember. I obtained Cobol 2.0 the other day, whoopdeedoo. Anyone have
        it?

      • Chris M
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 26 4:36 PM
          An 8088 Bill. If you have one of the awfully rare semi-compatible versions - Tandy 2000, NEC APC III, TIPC, etc - that will do rather nicely also.
           I guess I should have specified for a puter with an Intel processor. I'd be interested to see whatever version you had though.

          http://mail.yahoo.com

        • billdeg@aol.com
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 27 6:02 AM
            Chris,
            The only compiler for an 8088/6 I could find was a BASIC compiler. I have
            not looked through all of my software, it may still exist. I have a FORTRAN
            book, so there is hope.
            Bill

            In a message dated 4/26/2005 7:40:17 PM Eastern Standard Time,
            chrism3667@... writes:

            > An 8088 Bill. If you have one of the awfully rare semi-compatible versions
            -
            > Tandy 2000, NEC APC III, TIPC, etc - that will do rather nicely also.
            > I guess I should have specified for a puter with an Intel processor. I'd
            be
            > interested to see whatever version you had though.
          • BOYD BORRILL
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 27 8:07 AM
              Hi;
                   I don't remember a MS Fortran, although that doesn't mean much,, but Cromrmco had a very good Fortran compiler written for the Z80, if that is any help.
              Ray Borrill

              chrism3667@... writes:

              > An 8088 Bill. If you have one of the awfully rare semi-compatible versions
              -
              > Tandy 2000, NEC APC III, TIPC, etc - that will do rather nicely also.
              >   I guess I should have specified for a puter with an Intel processor. I'd
              be
              > interested to see whatever version you had though.

              Pioneer Purveyor of Personal Processing Power
            • Chris M
              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 27 9:34 AM

                BOYD BORRILL <b.r.borrill@...> wrote:
                Hi;
                     I don't remember a MS Fortran, although that doesn't mean much,, but Cromrmco had a very good Fortran compiler written for the Z80, if that is any help.
                Ray Borrill

                There were many versions from Microsoft. When Computer Factory went out of business about 1990, they had a big clearance sale in Middletown, NY. Why I ramble on about this stuff, I don't know. There was a boxed version there for 100 bucks, but I said no way. I think it was version 5.x.
                 I'll bet there's a Fortran history page somewhere on the net (I should know by now you'd think!). If not, it would be an interesting undertaking.

                billdeg@... wrote:
                ...so there is hope...

                YO! Thanks!

                http://mail.yahoo.com

              • John Allain
                Message 7 of 8 , Apr 27 9:36 AM
                  There was a MS Fortran > "Powerstation" < product.
                  But perhaps as late as 1989 IIRC.

                  "Fortran Powerstation" Googles very well.

                  John A.
                • BOYD BORRILL
                  Message 8 of 8 , Apr 27 1:08 PM
                    Chris, I used Yahoo search and entered: MS Fortran, then clicked on SEARXH
                         The first numbered item on the result was a complete discri[tion of every version of MS Fortran, and more.  I tried to find it with Google, without any luck
                    Ray Borill

                    Chris M <chrism3667@...> wrote:

                    BOYD BORRILL <b.r.borrill@...> wrote:
                    Hi;
                         I don't remember a MS Fortran, although that doesn't mean much,, but Cromrmco had a very good Fortran compiler written for the Z80, if that is any help.
                    Ray Borrill

                    There were many versions from Microsoft. When Computer Factory went out of business about 1990, they had a big clearance sale in Middletown, NY. Why I ramble on about this stuff, I don't know. There was a boxed version there for 100 bucks, but I said no way. I think it was version 5.x.
                     I'll bet there's a Fortran history page somewhere on the net (I should know by now you'd think!). If not, it would be an interesting undertaking.

                    billdeg@... wrote:
                    ...so there is hope...

                    YO! Thanks!

                    http://mail.yahoo.com

                    Pioneer Purveyor of Personal Processing Power