Re: Computer signage on my table

  • macmothership
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 29, 2005
      That is great news - the Apple 1 is something most people have never been able to get
      their hands on, just read about - should be cool!

      Have you given any thought to enclosing it in a "period" case. As you know, many were in
      hand built wooden cases with the keyboard, or generic metal enclosures. I've uploaded a
      photo.

      I'll print out an Ad and Article on the Apple 1 from my website to have on display next to
      the unit at the show.

      --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "evan947" <evan947@y...> wrote:

      > Good news: a couple of days ago the replica started to work. I don't
      > know how to program in assembly, but I had fun playing with Integer
      > BASIC. I also was able to use Woz's 'monitor' application.
      >
      > Yesterday I ordered a non-volatile IC from DigiKey.com, to replace
      > the volatile chip that Vince Briel includes with the design. That
      > should arrive tomorrow or Monday. (I had to do this -- there is no
      > other storage option because my case design won't have room for the
      > serial I/O board and Vince says the cassette interface isn't
      > finished.)
      >
      > FYI, for those who have no idea what I'm talking about:
      > http://home.comcast.net/~vbriel/index.htm :)
      >
      > Now that it works, I'm designing a custom case for it. Since I
      > collect handhelds/portables, I figured my case should be of the
      > laptop variety. Sellam Ismail (of VCF fame) gave me an old
      > PowerBook -- it's the model 145B because that one is rather large,
      > giving me plenty of room to work. I took it apart, removed the
      > screen and all of the electronics, so now it's just a bare plastic
      > shell. Now I'm working on stuffing the following inside it:
      > keyboard, new LCD display, motherboard, NiMH cells. The only problem
      > so far is getting the board to work with the LCD, but Vince is
      > helping with that.
      >
      > I put a photo of the 'empty' laptop under the photos link in this
      > group. The photo is not very good quality but you get the idea.
      >

      > --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "macmothership"
      > <macmothership@y...> wrote:
      > >
      > > Evan,
      > >
      > > Wow - that really would complete the line-up and fit in perfectly.
      > I can create a sign for
      > > that also. Great!
      > > Do you have a small monitor for it to use?
      > >
      > > --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, evan <evan947@y...> wrote:
      > > > Sounds great, Jim. Would be even better if the rest of us follow
      > your lead.
      > > > :)
      > > >
      > > > If I can the Apple 1 replica working, we can put that on your
      > table too.
    • evan947
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 30, 2005
        Yes, I'm considering that... however the portable version is my main
        project right now. (Vince Briel, who designed the kit, has a version
        very similar to the original, just like in your photo. Check his out:
        http://home.comcast.net/~vbriel/r1se.htm) -- it's sold already but I
        think he's willing to make more for whoever is willing to order one.