Re: OT: editing posts

  • Herb Johnson
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 10, 2006
      OK, just for fun I'll reply by top-posting and I won't edit out the
      messages before. I'm replying to Jim's post below, so my responses are
      to Jim. He thinks my problem is about digests; it's really about
      posting styles. But my core issue may be about the use of forums.
      CLearly it's just me, no one else has complained, so I won't persue
      this further except to reply here.

      First, Jim, I don't reply by editing a message out of the daily
      digest. I reply by logging into Yahoo! online and pulling out the
      individual message, and then open a window there. I read the digest to
      see if there are any messages I need to reply to each day. If I was a
      more active member, I'd need to get individual messages.

      I concur with you that editing a message from the daily digest for
      reply would be painful. Going to the Yahoo! site avoids that, and it's
      not much different from editing a reply via my own email client. In
      fact, I'm writing THIS reply using a text editor and I'll simply cut
      and paste it into Yahoo!'s edit window. ("Simple" was in fact not the
      case, my cut-n-paste required removing all the linefeeds! ;( )

      You say "6 of 130 recieve the digest", but you did not say how many of
      the 130 recieve no emails at all as you suggested it was signifigant.
      Am I 6 of 130, or 6 of maybe 30, in taking the digest?

      You say "the solution to my problem is not to use the daily digest".
      Nope, that's not the problem. The "problem" as I put it, was that
      people top-post new messages on old, they get two and three deep. What
      "digests" add to that problem is that I get to see all the messages at
      once, so I see message A; followed by message B+A; followed by message
      C+B+A. Either way, digest or individually, it's a bunch of messages
      already read.

      And that's if "everyone top posts"; most do but not all. So I have to
      check to make sure it's not "B+A+C". But all that's apparently just my
      "problem". Sorry to make a fuss.

      As for my own question about "being too 20th century" about this, it
      appears that the bulk of the thread is now about how some email USED
      to be, namely proprietary email services like AOL and Compuserve.
      Funny, I find such services to be restrictive and too "locked in";
      although some services may have had a better user interface, as you
      suggest for COmpupserve. And some people like the advantages of
      proprietary email systems as places where people of like interests gather.

      I certainly enjoy like-interests email groups. But I don't enjoy the
      fact that each one has its own software support, methods, user
      interface. And each one requires membership and registration. And some
      of them are opportunities for spammers. Many of them are so special
      purpose that I can only use them for one interest, some are just
      site-specific. I appreciate from that perspective, comments about the
      old days when "one click" seemed to do all the work to download and
      sort messages from several groups under one provider.

      My own needs, and again this is just my priorities, are that I need a
      stable and reliable email service over a period of YEARS. I pay for
      such a service, and it works with both Usenet and (what used to be)
      standard Internet email services. But times change, and now in 2006
      I'm obliged to join any number of these proprietary services that can
      come and go with only notice given.

      Jim suggests I set up my email client software and possibly my email
      provider's features to segregate such email. That's apparently how
      I'll have to manage all these disparate email groups, if I plan to
      participate in any of their corresponding activities - such as MARCH
      and it's Yahoo!-based mail service. My reluctance to do that seems to
      be what I meant by "being 20th century".

      The bottom line is that I'm odd man out on this subject, so I'll say
      no more.

      Herb Johnson

      Herbert R. Johnson, New Jersey USA

      --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Jim Scheef <jscheef@...> wrote:

      > Herb,
      >
      > If you are using the daily digest, you have my gratitude for editing
      out the superflous content and changing the subject line to match the
      thread. Way to go. However, using the daily digest is your choice. I
      just perused the membership list and was surprised by the number of
      people receiving no emails. About six of 130 receive the digest.
      Personally I stay away from the Yahoo Groups web site as much as
      possible - going there only to do group business (I was a wizop on
      CompuServe for ten years and my moderating habits die hard) but that's
      the only reason I can see to go there. (Ok, the pictures can be fun.)
      Thankfully most people reply at the top of each message so I see all
      the earlier stuff only when I scroll down to check a point from an
      earlier post. When everyone replies at the top, each message is a
      synopsis of the thread even if someone changed the subject line.

      > So, my solution to your 'problem' is to not use the daily digest and
      to receive individual emails. Set up a filter in your email client to
      move all incoming messages from the group to a special folder. That
      way they do not clutter your inbox and are nicely organized for
      sorting on date , subject or sender. As I read thru the messages I
      delete most unless there is content to which I might want to refer
      later, like a URL. Plus I can search these messages using Yahoo's
      search. I find Yahoo email to be very convenient and with 2G of online
      storage, I can keep all the messages I want. After a couple years of
      saving lots of junk, I'm still using only 15% of the 2G.

      > As to being too 20th century, I miss using Tapcis to download
      messages from the 15-20 forums I used to follow on Compuserve. One key
      stroke was all it took to connect to the service, collect all the
      waiting messages and download the new message headers from all of my
      favorite fora and log off again. That way you could review things off
      line. Remember when connect time was money? At one time CIS cost about
      $23/hour (~38¢ per minute!) at 2400bps and those were 1988 dollars.
      What the service offered was a great online community interfaced thru
      fabulous forum software with really good message threading. The
      threading was so good that the only quoting needed was a few words for
      emphasis. All of the various third-party tools, like Tapcis, used the
      threading to manage and display messages. Even when they moved to a
      web-based user interface they still had the best threading.
      Unfortuntely the by the time AOL bought CIS, the CIS forum software
      was way better than what AOL had and
      > that was not a politically tenable position. So AOL management did
      their best to kill off Compuserve to eliminate any possibility it
      might threaten the core of AOL. Ah, the good old days...

      > Jim

      which contain too much prior