Re: [midatlanticretro] Commodore SX64 troubleshooting

    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 6 6:24 PM
      ah....
      if you have no green LED then check the 5VLT on power supply.

      if you do have the green LED, then the problem is with UC1 or UD2

      even if you have these issues, you may be able to shake the problem
      free. try this:

      1. at the read prompt, with a disk in the drive type:

      header "kelly",d0,i01 [enter]

      let me know how it goes.

      more tests:

      2. ?ds$ [enter]

      what is returned/happens?

      3. dcleard0 [enter]

      what is returned/happens?

      ----
      that will get you started, and welcome to my world. I have a diagnostic
      cart for the sx64, comes in very handy!

      Bill

      At 08:41 PM 7/6/2006 -0400, you wrote:
      >OK. I have 3 units. One works great. The others, not so much.
      >
      >Unit #2, powers on. Get the basic prompt. Drive never shuts off.
      >Unit #3, powers on. Grey screen, no basic. Drive never shuts off.
      >
      >Ideas from the commodore folks?
      >

      >Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Greg N Shari
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 7 12:54 AM
        Kelly,

        You can also open them and make sure that all the socketed IC's and the boards are seated firmly. They do tend to work loose at times, particularly the boards. Also verify that all cables are tightly connected inside.

        HTH,
        Greg Manuel

        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 11 5:59 AM
          My very first SX-64 had similar symptoms as your #3 unit when I got it
          (I found it on the side of the road during a Township Spring Cleanup).

          I eventually discovered that the previous owner thought a "chip was a
          chip". I found a SID chip in the Kernel ROM socket (didn't even have
          the same number of pins). I was able to pull a ROM from a regular
          Commodore 64 and got it to work. I now have an SX-64 with the blue on
          blue screen.

          This probably is not the problem you have, but a segue to some advice.
          I have found that the socketed chips in an SX-64 are interchangeable
          with the chips in a standard C64. As another post indicates, check
          your board connections and make sure the chips are seated properly.
          You can swap chips from a C64 to help troubleshoot bad chips.
          Especially if you don't want to take a chance on messing up a
          perfectly good, but rare SX-64 for donor parts.

          --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "Kelly Leavitt" <kelly@...>
          wrote:

          > OK. I have 3 units. One works great. The others, not so much.
          >
          > Unit #2, powers on. Get the basic prompt. Drive never shuts off.
          > Unit #3, powers on. Grey screen, no basic. Drive never shuts off.
          >
          > Ideas from the commodore folks?

        • Ray
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 11 1:50 PM
            Hi all

            For C= issues your best bet would be to visit Ray Carlsen website he
            has been helping repair c='s for a long time he has a long list of
            DIAGNOSING PROBLEMS, DISASSEMBLY INSTRUCTIONS for C='s you may want to
            go visit http://personalpages.tds.net/~rcarlsen/cbm.html or even
            email him. He helped me diagnose my sx64 and we got it working. You
            can also have him try to repair but nowadays the price of shipping
            might not be worth it back and forth. Hope this helps you.

            Since we are on the SX64 topic my older sx64 need a couple of parts if
            anyone has. Handle unit with screwes and blue caps(2sets) if anyone
            has any extra parts like that please let me know.

            Thanks
            Ray
            http://www.c64world.com
            telnet://wizbbs.dyndns.org:23