Re: [midatlanticretro] OT: editing posts

  • Sridhar Ayengar
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 6, 2006
      Jim Scheef wrote:
      > connect time was money? At one time CIS cost about $23/hour (~38¢ per
      > minute!) at 2400bps and those were 1988 dollars. What the service

      I have fond memories of my $150/month Compuserve habit. 8-)

      Peace... Sridhar
    • Bryan Pope
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 6, 2006
        Sridhar Ayengar wrote:
        Jim Scheef wrote:

        connect time was money? At one time CIS cost about $23/hour (~38¢ per
        minute!) at 2400bps and those were 1988 dollars. What the service

        I have fond memories of my $150/month Compuserve habit.  8-)

        Peace...  Sridhar

        arrgh... I don't!! :(  But near the end of my time there (and I don't think it was ever fixed) a way found to get *free* CServe service.  All you had to do was have one of your CServe windows open to one of their "free" rooms and it would cancel out your time connected to a regular room.*

        Cheers,

        Bryan

        * Of course I *never* used that technique...  I only heard about it in hushed whispers...

      • Sridhar Ayengar
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 6, 2006
          Bryan Pope wrote:
          > Sridhar Ayengar wrote:
          >> Jim Scheef wrote:
          >>
          >>> connect time was money? At one time CIS cost about $23/hour (~38¢ per
          >>> minute!) at 2400bps and those were 1988 dollars. What the service
          >>>

          >> I have fond memories of my $150/month Compuserve habit. 8-)
          >>
          >> Peace... Sridhar
          >>

          > arrgh... I don't!! :( But near the end of my time there (and I don't
          > think it was ever fixed) a way found to get *free* CServe service. All
          > you had to do was have one of your CServe windows open to one of their
          > "free" rooms and it would cancel out your time connected to a regular room.*

          I think I had heard something about that, but I don't think I ever tried it.

          > * Of course I *never* used that technique... I only heard about it in
          > hushed whispers...

          *ahem* Of course. 8;-)

          Peace... Sridhar
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 8, 2006
            Brian,

            You're one of the exceptions to the 'reply at the top' convention.

            There were several bugs in CompuServe's billing as multi-tasking environments
            became popular, creating the situation you describe. Their initial Windows
            programs had limited features for working offline. They wanted users to
            switch to "New CompuServe" (CIS2? I forget what they called it) to get people
            onto the AOL dialup network which for some reason was incompatible with what
            became known as CompuServe Classic. All the sysop tools remained on Classic
            so I never tried the "AOL-ish" user interface which I believe had different
            billing bugs from those on the Classic side.

            The various scripting programs like TapCIS did a great job of minimizing
            connect time. Most people who switched to TapCIS found that their bill
            dropped so much that they could "afford" to visit and follow more fora
            (forums). Of course all this became moot when AOL and CIS followed the
            industry to the "all you can eat" model we have today.

            BYW, our Congresspeople are about to undo this and more on the Internet when
            they "deregulate" the telecom companies so they can charge you more for
            packets they decide are not in their best interests.

            Jim

            --- Bryan Pope <bryan.pope@...> wrote:

            > Sridhar Ayengar wrote:
            > > Jim Scheef wrote:
            > >
            > >> connect time was money? At one time CIS cost about $23/hour (~38¢ per
            > >> minute!) at 2400bps and those were 1988 dollars. What the service
            > >>

            > > I have fond memories of my $150/month Compuserve habit. 8-)
            > >
            > > Peace... Sridhar
            > >

            > arrgh... I don't!! :( But near the end of my time there (and I don't
            > think it was ever fixed) a way found to get *free* CServe service. All
            > you had to do was have one of your CServe windows open to one of their
            > "free" rooms and it would cancel out your time connected to a regular
            > room.*
            >
            > Cheers,
            >
            > Bryan
            >

            > * Of course I *never* used that technique... I only heard about it in
            > hushed whispers...

          • Herb Johnson
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 10, 2006
              OK, just for fun I'll reply by top-posting and I won't edit out the
              messages before. I'm replying to Jim's post below, so my responses are
              to Jim. He thinks my problem is about digests; it's really about
              posting styles. But my core issue may be about the use of forums.
              CLearly it's just me, no one else has complained, so I won't persue
              this further except to reply here.

              First, Jim, I don't reply by editing a message out of the daily
              digest. I reply by logging into Yahoo! online and pulling out the
              individual message, and then open a window there. I read the digest to
              see if there are any messages I need to reply to each day. If I was a
              more active member, I'd need to get individual messages.

              I concur with you that editing a message from the daily digest for
              reply would be painful. Going to the Yahoo! site avoids that, and it's
              not much different from editing a reply via my own email client. In
              fact, I'm writing THIS reply using a text editor and I'll simply cut
              and paste it into Yahoo!'s edit window. ("Simple" was in fact not the
              case, my cut-n-paste required removing all the linefeeds! ;( )

              You say "6 of 130 recieve the digest", but you did not say how many of
              the 130 recieve no emails at all as you suggested it was signifigant.
              Am I 6 of 130, or 6 of maybe 30, in taking the digest?

              You say "the solution to my problem is not to use the daily digest".
              Nope, that's not the problem. The "problem" as I put it, was that
              people top-post new messages on old, they get two and three deep. What
              "digests" add to that problem is that I get to see all the messages at
              once, so I see message A; followed by message B+A; followed by message
              C+B+A. Either way, digest or individually, it's a bunch of messages
              already read.

              And that's if "everyone top posts"; most do but not all. So I have to
              check to make sure it's not "B+A+C". But all that's apparently just my
              "problem". Sorry to make a fuss.

              As for my own question about "being too 20th century" about this, it
              appears that the bulk of the thread is now about how some email USED
              to be, namely proprietary email services like AOL and Compuserve.
              Funny, I find such services to be restrictive and too "locked in";
              although some services may have had a better user interface, as you
              suggest for COmpupserve. And some people like the advantages of
              proprietary email systems as places where people of like interests gather.

              I certainly enjoy like-interests email groups. But I don't enjoy the
              fact that each one has its own software support, methods, user
              interface. And each one requires membership and registration. And some
              of them are opportunities for spammers. Many of them are so special
              purpose that I can only use them for one interest, some are just
              site-specific. I appreciate from that perspective, comments about the
              old days when "one click" seemed to do all the work to download and
              sort messages from several groups under one provider.

              My own needs, and again this is just my priorities, are that I need a
              stable and reliable email service over a period of YEARS. I pay for
              such a service, and it works with both Usenet and (what used to be)
              standard Internet email services. But times change, and now in 2006
              I'm obliged to join any number of these proprietary services that can
              come and go with only notice given.

              Jim suggests I set up my email client software and possibly my email
              provider's features to segregate such email. That's apparently how
              I'll have to manage all these disparate email groups, if I plan to
              participate in any of their corresponding activities - such as MARCH
              and it's Yahoo!-based mail service. My reluctance to do that seems to
              be what I meant by "being 20th century".

              The bottom line is that I'm odd man out on this subject, so I'll say
              no more.

              Herb Johnson

              Herbert R. Johnson, New Jersey USA

              --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Jim Scheef <jscheef@...> wrote:

              > Herb,
              >
              > If you are using the daily digest, you have my gratitude for editing
              out the superflous content and changing the subject line to match the
              thread. Way to go. However, using the daily digest is your choice. I
              just perused the membership list and was surprised by the number of
              people receiving no emails. About six of 130 receive the digest.
              Personally I stay away from the Yahoo Groups web site as much as
              possible - going there only to do group business (I was a wizop on
              CompuServe for ten years and my moderating habits die hard) but that's
              the only reason I can see to go there. (Ok, the pictures can be fun.)
              Thankfully most people reply at the top of each message so I see all
              the earlier stuff only when I scroll down to check a point from an
              earlier post. When everyone replies at the top, each message is a
              synopsis of the thread even if someone changed the subject line.

              > So, my solution to your 'problem' is to not use the daily digest and
              to receive individual emails. Set up a filter in your email client to
              move all incoming messages from the group to a special folder. That
              way they do not clutter your inbox and are nicely organized for
              sorting on date , subject or sender. As I read thru the messages I
              delete most unless there is content to which I might want to refer
              later, like a URL. Plus I can search these messages using Yahoo's
              search. I find Yahoo email to be very convenient and with 2G of online
              storage, I can keep all the messages I want. After a couple years of
              saving lots of junk, I'm still using only 15% of the 2G.

              > As to being too 20th century, I miss using Tapcis to download
              messages from the 15-20 forums I used to follow on Compuserve. One key
              stroke was all it took to connect to the service, collect all the
              waiting messages and download the new message headers from all of my
              favorite fora and log off again. That way you could review things off
              line. Remember when connect time was money? At one time CIS cost about
              $23/hour (~38¢ per minute!) at 2400bps and those were 1988 dollars.
              What the service offered was a great online community interfaced thru
              fabulous forum software with really good message threading. The
              threading was so good that the only quoting needed was a few words for
              emphasis. All of the various third-party tools, like Tapcis, used the
              threading to manage and display messages. Even when they moved to a
              web-based user interface they still had the best threading.
              Unfortuntely the by the time AOL bought CIS, the CIS forum software
              was way better than what AOL had and
              > that was not a politically tenable position. So AOL management did
              their best to kill off Compuserve to eliminate any possibility it
              might threaten the core of AOL. Ah, the good old days...

              > Jim

              which contain too much prior