THURSDAY -- Vintage videogame day @ InfoAge

    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 3, 2006
      All the plans for today (Monday) are off.

      Vintage videogame day will be Thursday. Curt Vendel, who many of you
      already know, will drive down from upstate NY and arrive around 10AM. There
      are 12 kids. Gail, who is their organizer, will send us six kids for the
      11-12 hour, six more for the 12-1 hour, and then all 12 for the 1-2 hour
      (that hour for a tour of our collections, etc.)

      We have two TVs their already. One belongs to InfoAge and one is ours.
      I'll bring a third, and Curt will bring one or more, so that's all set.

      Any and all MARCHians are welcome to join us. We can go to lunch afterward.

      I just want to remind everyone that this day is for the kids, not for us, in
      terms of playing the games. :)

      - Evan

      PS -- Sorry for all the past confusion about this, and thanks to all who
      volunteered before.
    • Joe Giliberti
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 3, 2006
        I'll do my best to get there. I'll try and get a small MAME machine set
        up. I'm gonna need to use a keyboard hack to interface the controls, so
        does anyone have a PS/2 to AT adapter? The AT keyboard I have will be
        easy tho hack, but would limit me to an old machine.
      • Jeffrey Frady

          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 5, 2006
            Another update on tomorrow's mini-event ... I'm giving the kids a tour of
            our collections and stuff from 1-2 tomorrow, then Curt's doing the gaming
            stuff with all 12 kids from 2-3 (he has other commitments before 2), and
            then I'm giving Curt a private tour.

            As stated before, everyone is welcome to come help.

            All the plans for today (Monday) are off.

            Vintage videogame day will be Thursday. Curt Vendel, who many of you
            already know, will drive down from upstate NY and arrive around 10AM. There
            are 12 kids. Gail, who is their organizer, will send us six kids for the
            11-12 hour, six more for the 12-1 hour, and then all 12 for the 1-2 hour
            (that hour for a tour of our collections, etc.)

            We have two TVs their already. One belongs to InfoAge and one is ours.
            I'll bring a third, and Curt will bring one or more, so that's all set.

            Any and all MARCHians are welcome to join us. We can go to lunch afterward.

            I just want to remind everyone that this day is for the kids, not for us, in
            terms of playing the games. :)

            - Evan

            PS -- Sorry for all the past confusion about this, and thanks to all who
            volunteered before.

            Great things are happening at Yahoo! Groups. See the new email design.
            http://us.click.yahoo.com/TISQkA/hOaOAA/yQLSAA/S_NqlB/TM
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 7, 2006
              In case anybody was wondering, the high school volunteers were quite
              impressed with our collections yesterday! I gave them a tour for about an
              hour and they asked smart questions. Most of the time they had bug-eyes at
              all the big, colorful gear, especially when I explained how little power
              those computers had to modern PCs and servers. The second hour was Curt
              Vendel's show; most of these kids never played Atari before. I dug out a
              Pong system and an Odyssey from our storage room, but unfortunately neither
              had an appropriate wall wart so we couldn't try them. Also, two or three of
              the kids said they live in NJ and they asked for our club information, so
              hopefully they will get involved. Joe and Jeff, that means you guys won't
              be the youngest newbies here anymore. It had to happen eventually. :)

              Curt: you traveled four hours round-trip for just two hours of time down
              here, but I could see that your enjoyment was genuine -- as is our
              appreciation for your effort. Thanks!

              I neglected to take pictures. Stupid of me.

[...]

              Something is new at Yahoo! Groups. Check out the enhanced email design.
              http://us.click.yahoo.com/SISQkA/gOaOAA/yQLSAA/S_NqlB/TM