TWO swap meets / was RE: [midatlanticretro] Swap meet update

    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 3 10:04 AM
      We decided to hold a northern and a southern swap meet, in order to reach
      more of our members who can't (or are simply tired of) traveling to InfoAge.

      So, Bill's version will be the southern event, and John Allain is checking
      out how to organize a northern event. For simplicity, the northern event
      might not be a real swap meet, but rather just an informal yard sale at
      someone's house. Except it'll be an open-source version where everyone
      contributes. :)

      More updates to come, and feedback is welcome.

      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 4 10:55 AM

        > We decided to hold a northern and a southern swap meet, in order to
        reach
        > more of our members who can't (or are simply tired of) traveling to
        InfoAge.

        > So, Bill's [Deleware] version will be the southern event, and John
        Allain is checking
        > out how to organize a northern event. For simplicity, the northern
        event
        > might not be a real swap meet, but rather just an informal yard sale at
        > someone's house. Except it'll be an open-source version where everyone
        > contributes. :)
        >
        > More updates to come, and feedback is welcome.

        OK, sounds like the InfoAge swapmeet and the "road trip" has morphed
        into a Deleware swapmeet and a trip&sale somewhere north. Nothing
        wrong with that, organizing an InfoAge swap in a few months is pretty
        short notice for all attending AND it conflicted a bit with a hamfest
        on the premises. I still believe, as per my recent post, that some
        kind of regular sales event is a good idea. But it could just as well
        be part of future Vintage C-fests East, than as something seperate.

        Deleware is certainly pleasant country to visit - my only issues there
        were finding a motel room in the summer! They all get booked up, so
        prior notice is important for any overnights.

        And I still support some kind of Boston trip as an MIT and fleamarket
        thing, that's within my interests. But an informal visit can be
        pleasant and fun.

        It would be good to nail down dates and locations soon, so all can
        plan accordingly and info can be put on the Yahoo! calendar and of
        course on the MARCH Website. But hey! for a first go-round it may not
        be that organized.

        All things considered, keep us posted on the InfoAge hamfest by the
        radio group, so we can attend that and show support.

        Herb Johnson

        Herbert R. Johnson, New Jersey USA
      • Joe Giliberti
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 4 11:30 AM
          what about having one of yhe swap meets at Bell Labs in Middletown NJ,
          if they'll allow it