Maker Faire: the planning thread

    Message 1 of 20 , Aug 28, 2014
      MARCHins,

      World Maker Faire is only three and a half weeks away. Yikes!!!!!

      Refresher: the exhibit that we proposed, and which the faire management
      accepted, is "Online before the Internet". It states: "How did you get
      online before the Internet and smartphones? Explore our exhibit and use
      a teletype, green-screen terminal, or (gasp!) a dial-up modem to connect
      to vintage computers of the 1960s, 1970s, and 1980s."

      Now we have to do that. :)

      MARCH itself needn't bring anything other than our banner and some
      literature. MARCHins have a lot of room to interpret this exhibit using
      their own equipment.

      I requested a 10x20 indoor booth.

      Corey already stepped up and said he'll bring a simulated dial-up
      service involving his replica Scelbi-8H and playing blackjack.

      Please reply to this thread with other things that * you * can bring to
      the exhibit. It's fine if more than one person wants to show BBS and/or
      dial-up technology, but we also want to cover all bases, so we need
      people to demo terminal and TTY connections.

      What systems you use for the servers and nodes is entirely up to you! My
      role is to make sure that enough MARCHins and exhibits are there for
      both days of the show.

      I'm not entirely sure how much time I can personally spend at our booth
      because I may have to do my new daytime job while at the show (I'm now
      writing articles and editing a blog for a company called "Major League
      Hacking" which aims to be a governing body for collegiate hackathons.)

      Ticket-wise, it'll be the same as usual: MARCH has access to a modest
      amount of freebies and we'll give highest priority to the people who
      bring demos for our booth.
    • Martin A Flynn
      Message 2 of 20 , Aug 28, 2014
        On 8/28/2014 2:24 PM, Evan Koblentz evan@... [midatlanticretro] wrote:

        Corey already stepped up and said he'll bring a simulated dial-up service involving his replica Scelbi-8H and playing blackjack.
        Corey,
        Did you need the line simulator that I offered?

        Martin
      • J. Alexander Jacocks
        Message 3 of 20 , Aug 28, 2014
          On Thu, Aug 28, 2014 at 5:23 PM, Martin A Flynn maflynn@... [midatlanticretro] <midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

          On 8/28/2014 2:24 PM, Evan Koblentz evan@... [midatlanticretro] wrote:

          Corey already stepped up and said he'll bring a simulated dial-up service involving his replica Scelbi-8H and playing blackjack.
          Corey,
          Did you need the line simulator that I offered?

          My wife and I will be attending, but I can't promise how much booth manning I can do, this year.  However, since I did the whole day, Saturday, last year, I don't feel too guilty.

          I am hoping to see lots of other MARCH faces there, though!
          - Alex
        • corey986
          Message 4 of 20 , Aug 29, 2014
            I'm still deciding which program to use on the scelbi. I should be able to use a line simulator between the scelbi and my TI silent. I'm just waiting on someone to mail me back my penny whistle. This is actually a good reminder to see where if it's on the way.

            The challenge with the scelbi is that it's an 8008 and so there is limited software. I started writing a virtual chess board program but it quickly got too complicated to get done in time. I have a few options from Hi-Lo on scelbi integer basic (you don't have much more room after loading basic to run much more) or a calculator service where you can remotely access a calculator app or a game like Galaxy(Star Trek) or star shooter.

            I'll decide in the next week.

            Cheers,

            Corey
            Message 5 of 20 , Aug 29, 2014
              >> I'm just waiting on someone to mail me back my penny whistle.

              You can borrow ours if needed. Lee autographed it!
            • corey986
              Message 6 of 20 , Aug 30, 2014
                Pennywhistle need a lot if TLC to get working right after 38+ years, minimally they need calibration. The MARCH unit isn't tested or calibrated. Worst case I'll think of something.
                Message 7 of 20 , Sep 3, 2014
                  Hello?

                  Maker Faire is 17 days away. Nobody responded other than Corey.

                  On 08/28/2014 02:24 PM, Evan Koblentz evan@... [midatlanticretro]
                  wrote:
                  > MARCHins,
                  >
                  > World Maker Faire is only three and a half weeks away. Yikes!!!!!
                  >
                  > Refresher: the exhibit that we proposed, and which the faire management
                  > accepted, is "Online before the Internet". It states: "How did you get
                  > online before the Internet and smartphones? Explore our exhibit and use
                  > a teletype, green-screen terminal, or (gasp!) a dial-up modem to connect
                  > to vintage computers of the 1960s, 1970s, and 1980s."
                  >
                  > Now we have to do that. :)
                  >
                  > MARCH itself needn't bring anything other than our banner and some
                  > literature. MARCHins have a lot of room to interpret this exhibit using
                  > their own equipment.
                  >
                  > I requested a 10x20 indoor booth.
                  >
                  > Corey already stepped up and said he'll bring a simulated dial-up
                  > service involving his replica Scelbi-8H and playing blackjack.
                  >
                  > Please reply to this thread with other things that * you * can bring to
                  > the exhibit. It's fine if more than one person wants to show BBS and/or
                  > dial-up technology, but we also want to cover all bases, so we need
                  > people to demo terminal and TTY connections.
                  >
                  > What systems you use for the servers and nodes is entirely up to you! My
                  > role is to make sure that enough MARCHins and exhibits are there for
                  > both days of the show.
                  >
                  > I'm not entirely sure how much time I can personally spend at our booth
                  > because I may have to do my new daytime job while at the show (I'm now
                  > writing articles and editing a blog for a company called "Major League
                  > Hacking" which aims to be a governing body for collegiate hackathons.)
                  >
                  > Ticket-wise, it'll be the same as usual: MARCH has access to a modest
                  > amount of freebies and we'll give highest priority to the people who
                  > bring demos for our booth.
                  >

                  > ------------------------------------
                  > Posted by: Evan Koblentz <evan@...>
                  > ------------------------------------
                  >

                  > ------------------------------------
                  >
                  > Yahoo Groups Links

                • J. Alexander Jacocks
                  Message 8 of 20 , Sep 3, 2014
                    Evan,

                    My wife and I will be at Maker Faire, but I can't work the booth, for any significant time, this year.  We will come by, though.

                    - Alex

                    wrote:

                    > MARCHins,
                    >
                    > World Maker Faire is only three and a half weeks away. Yikes!!!!!
                    >
                    > Refresher: the exhibit that we proposed, and which the faire management
                    > accepted, is "Online before the Internet". It states: "How did you get
                    > online before the Internet and smartphones? Explore our exhibit and use
                    > a teletype, green-screen terminal, or (gasp!) a dial-up modem to connect
                    > to vintage computers of the 1960s, 1970s, and 1980s."
                    >
                    > Now we have to do that. :)
                    >
                    > MARCH itself needn't bring anything other than our banner and some
                    > literature. MARCHins have a lot of room to interpret this exhibit using
                    > their own equipment.
                    >
                    > I requested a 10x20 indoor booth.
                    >
                    > Corey already stepped up and said he'll bring a simulated dial-up
                    > service involving his replica Scelbi-8H and playing blackjack.
                    >
                    > Please reply to this thread with other things that * you * can bring to
                    > the exhibit. It's fine if more than one person wants to show BBS and/or
                    > dial-up technology, but we also want to cover all bases, so we need
                    > people to demo terminal and TTY connections.
                    >
                    > What systems you use for the servers and nodes is entirely up to you! My
                    > role is to make sure that enough MARCHins and exhibits are there for
                    > both days of the show.
                    >
                    > I'm not entirely sure how much time I can personally spend at our booth
                    > because I may have to do my new daytime job while at the show (I'm now
                    > writing articles and editing a blog for a company called "Major League
                    > Hacking" which aims to be a governing body for collegiate hackathons.)
                    >
                    > Ticket-wise, it'll be the same as usual: MARCH has access to a modest
                    > amount of freebies and we'll give highest priority to the people who
                    > bring demos for our booth.
                    >

                    > ------------------------------------

                    > Posted by: Evan Koblentz <evan@...>
                    > ------------------------------------
                    >

                    > ------------------------------------
                    >
                    > Yahoo Groups Links

                  • Christian Liendo
                    Message 9 of 20 , Sep 3, 2014
                      I actually have reserve duty but I am trying to make Sunday
                      Message 10 of 20 , Sep 3, 2014
                        Hi Alex. Saw your earlier message -- my impetus for today's message was about people who can bring demos.

                        wrote:

                        > MARCHins,
                        >
                        > World Maker Faire is only three and a half weeks away. Yikes!!!!!
                        >
                        > Refresher: the exhibit that we proposed, and which the faire management
                        > accepted, is "Online before the Internet". It states: "How did you get
                        > online before the Internet and smartphones? Explore our exhibit and use
                        > a teletype, green-screen terminal, or (gasp!) a dial-up modem to connect
                        > to vintage computers of the 1960s, 1970s, and 1980s."
                        >
                        > Now we have to do that. :)
                        >
                        > MARCH itself needn't bring anything other than our banner and some
                        > literature. MARCHins have a lot of room to interpret this exhibit using
                        > their own equipment.
                        >
                        > I requested a 10x20 indoor booth.
                        >
                        > Corey already stepped up and said he'll bring a simulated dial-up
                        > service involving his replica Scelbi-8H and playing blackjack.
                        >
                        > Please reply to this thread with other things that * you * can bring to
                        > the exhibit. It's fine if more than one person wants to show BBS and/or
                        > dial-up technology, but we also want to cover all bases, so we need
                        > people to demo terminal and TTY connections.
                        >
                        > What systems you use for the servers and nodes is entirely up to you! My
                        > role is to make sure that enough MARCHins and exhibits are there for
                        > both days of the show.
                        >
                        > I'm not entirely sure how much time I can personally spend at our booth
                        > because I may have to do my new daytime job while at the show (I'm now
                        > writing articles and editing a blog for a company called "Major League
                        > Hacking" which aims to be a governing body for collegiate hackathons.)
                        >
                        > Ticket-wise, it'll be the same as usual: MARCH has access to a modest
                        > amount of freebies and we'll give highest priority to the people who
                        > bring demos for our booth.
                        >

                        > ------------------------------------

                        > Posted by: Evan Koblentz <evan@...>
                        > ------------------------------------
                        >

                        > ------------------------------------
                        >
                        > Yahoo Groups Links

                      • Neil Cherry
                        Message 11 of 20 , Sep 3, 2014
                          On 09/03/2014 12:59 PM, Evan Koblentz evan@... [midatlanticretro] wrote:

                          > Hi Alex. Saw your earlier message -- my impetus for today's message was about people who
                          > can bring demos.

                          Evan, I don't have any set for communications (I haven't seen my 300/1200 buad
                          Cermatek modem in quite a while). I do have a Z-80 Starter kit with a CPU emulator
                          connected to it. This can easily be used to demonstrate how we debugged code. I
                          don't have a large print out to work with and my ribbon and paper are a bit dried
                          up. It was print out, burn EPROM, drop into device, run emulator, manipulate
                          CPU, code and memory.

                          http://www.linuxha.com/ Main site
                          http://linuxha.blogspot.com/ My HA Blog
                        • Jeffrey Brace
                          Message 12 of 20 , Sep 9, 2014
                            Evan and everyone,

                            I'd like to do a demo with the Commodore 64. But foresee many problems.
                            To really demonstrate a BBS, Q-link etc., I would need a real phone line (to connect to a real Commodore BBS still up), or an internet connection (to connect to simulated BBS over the internet). The last time we requested an internet connection, it didn't work properly.
                             So I would need some sort of off-line demo. Which wouldn't be easy. There wouldn't be any content.

                            Also I can only be there Sunday, so someone else would have to lug my C64 & 1702 to the show on Saturday and run the demo without me.

                            I would be willing to do a demo on Sunday with my C64, but I need some good idea of what I could do with the materials and resources that I have.

                            Jeff Brace

                            To: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com
                            From: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com
                            Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2014 12:59:38 -0400
                            Subject: Re: [midatlanticretro] Maker Faire: the planning thread

                            wrote:

                            > MARCHins,
                            >
                            > World Maker Faire is only three and a half weeks away. Yikes!!!!!
                            >
                            > Refresher: the exhibit that we proposed, and which the faire management
                            > accepted, is "Online before the Internet". It states: "How did you get
                            > online before the Internet and smartphones? Explore our exhibit and use
                            > a teletype, green-screen terminal, or (gasp!) a dial-up modem to connect
                            > to vintage computers of the 1960s, 1970s, and 1980s."
                            >
                            > Now we have to do that. :)
                            >
                            > MARCH itself needn't bring anything other than our banner and some
                            > literature. MARCHins have a lot of room to interpret this exhibit using
                            > their own equipment.
                            >
                            > I requested a 10x20 indoor booth.
                            >
                            > Corey already stepped up and said he'll bring a simulated dial-up
                            > service involving his replica Scelbi-8H and playing blackjack.
                            >
                            > Please reply to this thread with other things that * you * can bring to
                            > the exhibit. It's fine if more than one person wants to show BBS and/or
                            > dial-up technology, but we also want to cover all bases, so we need
                            > people to demo terminal and TTY connections.
                            >
                            > What systems you use for the servers and nodes is entirely up to you! My
                            > role is to make sure that enough MARCHins and exhibits are there for
                            > both days of the show.
                            >
                            > I'm not entirely sure how much time I can personally spend at our booth
                            > because I may have to do my new daytime job while at the show (I'm now
                            > writing articles and editing a blog for a company called "Major League
                            > Hacking" which aims to be a governing body for collegiate hackathons.)
                            >
                            > Ticket-wise, it'll be the same as usual: MARCH has access to a modest
                            > amount of freebies and we'll give highest priority to the people who
                            > bring demos for our booth.
                            >

                            > ------------------------------------

                            > Posted by: Evan Koblentz <evan@...>
                            > ------------------------------------
                            >

                            > ------------------------------------
                            >
                            > Yahoo Groups Links

                          • Dan Roganti
                            Message 13 of 20 , Sep 10, 2014

                              On Wed, Sep 10, 2014 at 1:26 AM, Jeffrey Brace ark72axow@... [midatlanticretro] <midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                              Evan and everyone,

                              I'd like to do a demo with the Commodore 64. But foresee many problems.
                              To really demonstrate a BBS, Q-link etc., I would need a real phone line (to connect to a real Commodore BBS still up), or an internet connection (to connect to simulated BBS over the internet). The last time we requested an internet connection, it didn't work properly.
                               So I would need some sort of off-line demo. Which wouldn't be easy. There wouldn't be any content.

                              Also I can only be there Sunday, so someone else would have to lug my C64 & 1702 to the show on Saturday and run the demo without me.

                              I would be willing to do a demo on Sunday with my C64, but I need some good idea of what I could do with the materials and resources that I have.

                              ​Jeff,

                              Maybe somebody on IRC or the forums could get you a copy of the QLink server, then you can run that on a desktop right there. Then use a telephone line simulator to connect using modems, somebody was willing to loan one ​
                              ​a couple months back. But I also saw somebody with a version that connects over telnet -- but then it say that you need a PC with a serial port. I asked Jim Brain if there was a version that will use the C64NIC+. So he might reply soon on here.

                              About the FidoNet,
                              I agree it would be important to give an overview of this, posters, placards, etc.
                              And if possible, even a demo where possible with the telephone line sim's - it is one of the most significant milestones in the BBS world

                              I may have miss part of this thread,
                              But has somebody even at least get a demo running a BBS locally using a telephone line sim ?

                              Also,
                              it would be nice to see a demo of UUCP - that was the mainstay at companies where most of us worked.
                              you guys have several ATT 3B1's or 7300's somewhere, probably again with some telephone line sim's - that could be a very good demo

                              Dan

                            • Wesley Furr
                              Message 14 of 20 , Sep 10, 2014
                                Wouldn't it work to just use a null modem cable between the C64 and the host machine?  May take a bit of trickery to get it to "connect"...maybe by manually typing "RING" and then "CONNECT 2400" or something like that after the other machine responds "ATA"...?

                                Wesley

                                Message 15 of 20 , Sep 10, 2014

                                  On Wed, Sep 10, 2014 at 8:10 AM, 'Wesley Furr' wesley@... [midatlanticretro] <midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                                  Wouldn't it work to just use a null modem cable between the C64 and the host machine?  May take a bit of trickery to get it to "connect"...maybe by manually typing "RING" and then "CONNECT 2400" or something like that after the other machine responds "ATA"...?

                                  probably so,
                                  but who would want to miss out on hearing the old modem sounds :)

                                • corey986
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Sep 10, 2014
                                    Wesley,

                                       I actually was thinking of just doing that to make sure this stuff works as a demo.  less moving parts the better.   For the audio sounds of a modem, I was just going to play them out loud from a modem attached to the ADM or the TI-Silent.  You can echo the output of the terminals over the modem and just have the audio out.   A lot of this depends on time.  We are getting down to the wire and I'm trying to get all the demo's up and running while juggling life....

                                    Jeff B,

                                         If you want to get a demo setup, I could pick up the systems at your house and bring them on saturday if someone else who is going can take them on saturday night and bring them back on sunday for security purposes.  My spare space in my car will be eaten up saturday night with an extra body in my car I'm bringing back and forth saturday night/sunday morning.

                                    Let me know,
                                    Cheers,
                                    Corey
                                  • Systems Glitch
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Sep 10, 2014
                                      > ​probably so,
                                      > but who would want to miss out on hearing the old modem sounds :)

                                      As long as your modems can be convinced to dial without a dialtone and the receiving modem can be taken off-hook manually (a la acoustic coupler), all you need is talk battery.

                                      Thanks,
                                      Jonathan
                                      Message 18 of 20 , Sep 10, 2014

                                        I'd like to do a demo with the Commodore 64. But foresee many problems.
                                        To really demonstrate a BBS, Q-link etc., I would need a real phone line (to connect to a real Commodore BBS still up), or an internet connection (to connect to simulated BBS over the internet). The last time we requested an internet connection, it didn't work properly.
                                         So I would need some sort of off-line demo. Which wouldn't be easy. There wouldn't be any content.

                                        Also I can only be there Sunday, so someone else would have to lug my C64 & 1702 to the show on Saturday and run the demo without me.

                                        Appreciate your willingness to help, but I think it's too late and too impractical. The show is only 10 days away, you'd have to engineer some stuff, and Corey and/or I would have to do a bunch of extra schlepping.
                                        Message 19 of 20 , Sep 10, 2014
                                          > if someone else who is going can take them on saturday night and bring
                                          > them back on sunday for security purposes.

                                          That's extremely impractical. I recall from the past Maker Faire events
                                          that they only allow cars in Saturday morning and Sunday night ... which
                                          means someone would have to lug all that stuff to the bus line, etc. ...
                                          major hassle.

                                          I think our booth is indoors this year. Trying to confirm it.

                                          Corey -- you and I can plan all the exhibit logistics off-list. Please. :)
                                        • Jim Brain
                                          Message 20 of 20 , Sep 10, 2014
                                            On 9/10/2014 4:55 AM, Dan Roganti ragooman@... [midatlanticretro] wrote:

[...]

                                            No Ethernet version, sorry.  It'd be a nice addition, for those wanting to hack in the packet centric OS that runs Qlink client.

                                            But, the server can be hosted locally.  The person hosting the server will be at ECCC/VCF-MW this weeken (Jim Mazurek), and we might be able to get him to make a portable version (a VM of it, or something.

                                            Essentially, it needs a JRE and a copy of MYSQL.  A copy of the DB tables is a need as well.

                                            About the FidoNet,
                                            I agree it would be important to give an overview of this, posters, placards, etc.
                                            And if possible, even a demo where possible with the telephone line sim's - it is one of the most significant milestones in the BBS world

                                            I may have miss part of this thread,
                                            But has somebody even at least get a demo running a BBS locally using a telephone line sim ?
                                            tcpser4j has "authentic" modem negotiation sounds as part of it's operation, if you want the experience and don't have the materials for a real POTS setup... :-)