Re: [midatlanticretro] Today's Commodore Haul

  • Ray Sills
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 2, 2006
      Hi Kelly:

      I'd vacuum them out very well to remove as much dirt and debris as
      possible for starters. With that collection, you have (hopefully)
      multiple power bricks to try swapping them around to find good
      units. Also, if you have any C-64 ROM games, try using one of them
      in the cartridge port to see if things are running OK when you power
      up for the first time. Then, try hooking up a disk drive to see if
      you can run something from the drive.

      Obviously, you would not be able to do that with the Plus 4. (I've
      always thought the Plus 4 was a great machine, but suffered from a
      lack of software support. I have two of them here.)

      Anyway, a very nice find.

      73 de Ray

      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 2, 2006
        Kelly,
        You should be able to power it all on without issue. I would start with
        the sx64's because they're complete units. See if you have the sx64 demo
        disk and boot with that. load "*",8,1 [enter] (and then if needed, run
        [enter])

        How did you get these?

        Bill

        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 2, 2006
          I have a general question:

          Let's say you get a pile of hard drives from the ST506-era MFM's.

          What do you personally do to try to determine the status of the drives?

          I put them into a working IBM XT and run a program I have called
          Spinrite. It works great to recover a hard drive. If the drives had been
          installed in a non-IBM system I assume that I can't read them right off,
          but should not I be able to run fdisk or use a hard drive analysis program
          at least? Once a drive has been formatted for PC DOS can you re-partition
          and install in a different kind of system (like a DEC or Tandy?)

          Any other methods out there? I ask because I am 4 for 4 bad hard disks
          today and I wonder if maybe it's my method. Only two of the 4 report 1701
          errors when the computer boots, so I wonder if maybe the other two are
          simply too alien to be recognized by Spinrite?

          Bill D
        • John Allain
          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 3, 2006
            > Rescued a nice Commie batch today.
            >
            > 3 SX64

            I am in awe of people who can find SX64's.
            The last one I saw was without keyboard and the person
            wanted $50. for it. :{
            Nice going.

            John A.
          • Kelly Leavitt
            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 3, 2006

              > Kelly,
              > You should be able to power it all on without issue. I would
              > start with
              > the sx64's because they're complete units. See if you have
              > the sx64 demo
              > disk and boot with that. load "*",8,1 [enter] (and then if
              > needed, run

              I don't know which disks I have, but I'll look for the demo disk. Thanks for the load command, it has been years since I worked on any Commodore stuff. I think I'll clean off the gunk from the machines first.

              There was also a Commie badged daisy wheel printer in the lot. All the damping foam has turned to powder, but it looks sound mechanically.

              > How did you get these?

              A fellow member of my radio club used to use these to run his law practice. He was giving away a bunch of monitors, one of which was and old EGA monitor. Took the EGA monitor, left the 5+ VGA monitors. He was showing off his collection of restored radios and then we got to talking about MARCH.

              He also has some S100 stuff, but we couldn't get to that yesterday. As it was I had to help him move his '39 Cadillac to get to these. Nice car!

              Kelly
            • Kelly Leavitt
              Message 6 of 10 , Jul 5, 2006
                John:
                If they all work (or at least 2 of them), I'll trade you one for something. I like Tandy stuff (can't get enough of it). My current search is for more model 600 stuff (600, not 6000) and disk drives for the model I.

                Kelly

                Message 7 of 10 , Jul 5, 2006
                  > John:
                  > If they all work (or at least 2 of them), I'll trade you one for
                  > something. I like Tandy stuff (can't get enough of it). My current
                  > search is for more model 600 stuff (600, not 6000) and disk drives
                  > for the model I.
                  > Kelly

                  I didn't buy them (it actually), but could in the future if it is confirmed
                  that that is what you're looking for, it's probably gone by now I think.
                  I'm more of a DEC-IBM-SGI-Unix type myself, BTW.

                  This would be a useful meta-list to have for the club:
                  MARCH members and their individual WTB (want to buy) lists.

                  John A.
                • Kelly Leavitt
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jul 5, 2006
                    John:

                    Sorry for top posting. What I meant was, if 2 of the 3 I have work, you can have one for something in trade. A lot less than $50 in trade, that's for sure.

                    Kelly.

                    Message 9 of 10 , Jul 5, 2006
                      Kelly,
                      I'll take a broken one for ???
                      bd

                      At Wednesday, 5 July 2006, you wrote:

                      >John:
                      > If they all work (or at least 2 of them), I'll trade you one for
                      something.
                      >I like Tandy stuff (can't get enough of it). My current search is for
                      >more model 600 stuff (600, not 6000) and disk drives for the model I.
                      >
                      >Kelly

                      -- E N D --