Where can I find the old style Key switch buttons ? [ol' Ascii keybds, Netronics Elf, H8, etc]

  • Dan Roganti
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 28 7:01 AM
      Where can I find the old style Key switch buttons ?
      As on the ol's Ascii keybds, Netronics Elf, H8, etc ?
      ​I was looking for some more of these for another project.
      I can't seem to recall who was still selling these - if there was still somebody.
      I really like to avoid cannibalizing old keyboards for this.
      I know they still sell the cherry mx key switches.
      Just not sure if that would be a good alternative - for aesthetic reasons.
      Dan

      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 28 7:14 AM
        >> Where can I find the old style Key switch buttons ? As on the ol's Ascii keybds, Netronics Elf, H8, etc ? ​I was looking for some more of these for another project.

        "Golly gee!," thought Evan. "It sounds like Dan's working on that secret project I suggested to him for VCFeX. I better not spill the beans to the main list just yet."
      • Mike Loewen
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 28 7:28 AM
          On Thu, 28 Aug 2014, Dan Roganti ragooman@... [midatlanticretro] wrote:

          > Where can I find the old style Key switch buttons ?
          > As on the ol's Ascii keybds, Netronics Elf, H8, etc ?
          > ?I was looking for some more of these for another project.
          > I can't seem to recall who was still selling these - if there was still
          > somebody.

          How many do you need? I have a bag of grey J/4 key caps from an IBM
          keypunch, which I got from Cindy Croxton.

          Mike Loewen mloewen@...
          Old Technology http://q7.neurotica.com/Oldtech/
        • Dan Roganti
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 28 7:43 AM

            On Thu, Aug 28, 2014 at 10:28 AM, Mike Loewen mloewen@... [midatlanticretro] <midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
            On Thu, 28 Aug 2014, Dan Roganti ragooman@... [midatlanticretro] wrote:

            > Where can I find the old style Key switch buttons ?
            > As on the ol's Ascii keybds, Netronics Elf, H8, etc ?
            > ?I was looking for some more of these for another project.
            > I can't seem to recall who was still selling these - if there was still
            > somebody.

                How many do you need?  I have a bag of grey J/4 key caps from an IBM
            keypunch, which I got from Cindy Croxton.

            ​that might work
            But I have to find a steady supply
            I hear those original key switches are long gone, even the NOS
            But I like to still hope :)
            I did find the Cherry MX Switches by the boatload at Mouser and Digikey
            ​I may have to order a few to try them out
            Dan
          • Mike Loewen
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 28 7:51 AM
              On Thu, 28 Aug 2014, Dan Roganti ragooman@... [midatlanticretro] wrote:

              > On Thu, Aug 28, 2014 at 10:28 AM, Mike Loewen mloewen@...
              > [midatlanticretro] <midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
              >
              >> On Thu, 28 Aug 2014, Dan Roganti ragooman@... [midatlanticretro]
              >> wrote:
              >>
              >>> Where can I find the old style Key switch buttons ?
              >>> As on the ol's Ascii keybds, Netronics Elf, H8, etc ?
              >>> ?I was looking for some more of these for another project.
              >>> I can't seem to recall who was still selling these - if there was still
              >>> somebody.
              >>
              >> How many do you need? I have a bag of grey J/4 key caps from an IBM
              >> keypunch, which I got from Cindy Croxton.
              >>

              > ?that might work
              > But I have to find a steady supply
              > I hear those original key switches are long gone, even the NOS
              > But I like to still hope :)
              > I did find the Cherry MX Switches by the boatload at Mouser and Digikey
              > ?
              > ?I may have to order a few to try them out

              Sorry, no steady supply from me. I can send you a few for prototyping,
              if you like. As I recall, they have the + type of slot for mounting on
              the key stem.

              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 28 9:25 AM

                On Thu, Aug 28, 2014 at 10:51 AM, Mike Loewen mloewen@... [midatlanticretro] <midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
                On Thu, 28 Aug 2014, Dan Roganti ragooman@... [midatlanticretro] wrote:

                > On Thu, Aug 28, 2014 at 10:28 AM, Mike Loewen mloewen@...
                > [midatlanticretro] <midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
                >
                >> On Thu, 28 Aug 2014, Dan Roganti ragooman@... [midatlanticretro]
                >> wrote:
                >>
                >>> Where can I find the old style Key switch buttons ?
                >>> As on the ol's Ascii keybds, Netronics Elf, H8, etc ?
                >>> ?I was looking for some more of these for another project.
                >>> I can't seem to recall who was still selling these - if there was still
                >>> somebody.
                >>
                >>     How many do you need?  I have a bag of grey J/4 key caps from an IBM
                >> keypunch, which I got from Cindy Croxton.
                >>

                > ?that might work
                > But I have to find a steady supply
                > I hear those original key switches are long gone, even the NOS
                > But I like to still hope :)
                > I did find the Cherry MX Switches by the boatload at Mouser and Digikey
                > ?
                > ?I may have to order a few to try them out

                    Sorry, no steady supply from me.  I can send you a few for prototyping,
                if you like.  As I recall, they have the + type of slot for mounting on
                the key stem.

                ​ok, thanks, I could use just a few for now
                I'll send
                ​you a message directly

                I just noticed on Vince's website about the Superboard III
                http://www.brielcomputers.com/wordpress/?cat=39
                He does use the Cherry MX switches for the keyboard, plus the key caps are custom-made
                I don't think I can swing getting custom key-caps made, so I'm still hoping to find something generic
                In the meantime, I sent an email to him about this too.

                Dan