Today's Commodore Haul

  • Kelly Leavitt
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 2, 2006
      Rescued a nice Commie batch today.

      1 Plus 4
      3 SX64
      3 64
      2 128
      2 1571 Disk drives
      2 boxes of books, manuals and software.

      They're a bit of a mess (dust and grunge on them)

      Any tips on powering them up? Any other tips (BillD are you listening)?

      Kelly
    • Ray Sills
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 2, 2006
        Hi Kelly:

        I'd vacuum them out very well to remove as much dirt and debris as
        possible for starters. With that collection, you have (hopefully)
        multiple power bricks to try swapping them around to find good
        units. Also, if you have any C-64 ROM games, try using one of them
        in the cartridge port to see if things are running OK when you power
        up for the first time. Then, try hooking up a disk drive to see if
        you can run something from the drive.

        Obviously, you would not be able to do that with the Plus 4. (I've
        always thought the Plus 4 was a great machine, but suffered from a
        lack of software support. I have two of them here.)

        Anyway, a very nice find.

        73 de Ray

        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 2, 2006
          Kelly,
          You should be able to power it all on without issue. I would start with
          the sx64's because they're complete units. See if you have the sx64 demo
          disk and boot with that. load "*",8,1 [enter] (and then if needed, run
          [enter])

          How did you get these?

          Bill

          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 2, 2006
            I have a general question:

            Let's say you get a pile of hard drives from the ST506-era MFM's.

            What do you personally do to try to determine the status of the drives?

            I put them into a working IBM XT and run a program I have called
            Spinrite. It works great to recover a hard drive. If the drives had been
            installed in a non-IBM system I assume that I can't read them right off,
            but should not I be able to run fdisk or use a hard drive analysis program
            at least? Once a drive has been formatted for PC DOS can you re-partition
            and install in a different kind of system (like a DEC or Tandy?)

            Any other methods out there? I ask because I am 4 for 4 bad hard disks
            today and I wonder if maybe it's my method. Only two of the 4 report 1701
            errors when the computer boots, so I wonder if maybe the other two are
            simply too alien to be recognized by Spinrite?

            Bill D
          • John Allain
            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 3, 2006
              > Rescued a nice Commie batch today.
              >
              > 3 SX64

              I am in awe of people who can find SX64's.
              The last one I saw was without keyboard and the person
              wanted $50. for it. :{
              Nice going.

              John A.
            • Kelly Leavitt
              Message 6 of 10 , Jul 3, 2006

                > Kelly,
                > You should be able to power it all on without issue. I would
                > start with
                > the sx64's because they're complete units. See if you have
                > the sx64 demo
                > disk and boot with that. load "*",8,1 [enter] (and then if
                > needed, run

                I don't know which disks I have, but I'll look for the demo disk. Thanks for the load command, it has been years since I worked on any Commodore stuff. I think I'll clean off the gunk from the machines first.

                There was also a Commie badged daisy wheel printer in the lot. All the damping foam has turned to powder, but it looks sound mechanically.

                > How did you get these?

                A fellow member of my radio club used to use these to run his law practice. He was giving away a bunch of monitors, one of which was and old EGA monitor. Took the EGA monitor, left the 5+ VGA monitors. He was showing off his collection of restored radios and then we got to talking about MARCH.

                He also has some S100 stuff, but we couldn't get to that yesterday. As it was I had to help him move his '39 Cadillac to get to these. Nice car!

                Kelly
              • Kelly Leavitt
                Message 7 of 10 , Jul 5, 2006
                  John:
                  If they all work (or at least 2 of them), I'll trade you one for something. I like Tandy stuff (can't get enough of it). My current search is for more model 600 stuff (600, not 6000) and disk drives for the model I.

                  Kelly

                  Message 8 of 10 , Jul 5, 2006
                    > John:
                    > If they all work (or at least 2 of them), I'll trade you one for
                    > something. I like Tandy stuff (can't get enough of it). My current
                    > search is for more model 600 stuff (600, not 6000) and disk drives
                    > for the model I.
                    > Kelly

                    I didn't buy them (it actually), but could in the future if it is confirmed
                    that that is what you're looking for, it's probably gone by now I think.
                    I'm more of a DEC-IBM-SGI-Unix type myself, BTW.

                    This would be a useful meta-list to have for the club:
                    MARCH members and their individual WTB (want to buy) lists.

                    John A.
                  • Kelly Leavitt
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jul 5, 2006
                      John:

                      Sorry for top posting. What I meant was, if 2 of the 3 I have work, you can have one for something in trade. A lot less than $50 in trade, that's for sure.

                      Kelly.

                      Message 10 of 10 , Jul 5, 2006
                        Kelly,
                        I'll take a broken one for ???
                        bd

                        At Wednesday, 5 July 2006, you wrote:

                        >John:
                        > If they all work (or at least 2 of them), I'll trade you one for
                        something.
                        >I like Tandy stuff (can't get enough of it). My current search is for
                        >more model 600 stuff (600, not 6000) and disk drives for the model I.
                        >
                        >Kelly

                        -- E N D --