Bitsavers.org UNIX PC *.IMD files to floppy procedure

  • chetwyndplace
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 26, 2014
      Would anyone be able to point me in the right direction for some procedures to correctly transfer the image from the .IMD files found here:Index of /bits/ATT/unixPC/system_software_3.51

      to the 320k 5.25" floppies that the UNIX PC takes?

      It's probably obvious, but I am still learning.

      Thanks!
      -AJ

    • Kelly Leavitt
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 26, 2014
        The instructions get complicated if you are not comfortable working in the MS-DOS environment. Ask questions, but here is the procedure in broad strokes.

        I downloaded a couple of the images from bitsavers.
        I downloaded ImageDisk from http://www.classiccmp.org/dunfield/img/index.htm
        I copied the imagedisk executable to a floppy.
        I took the floppy over to the computer I use to make images. ( This machine is a basic Pentium III computer running MS-DOS (and several other operating systems))

        I copied Imagedisk to the machine in it's own directory and expanded it using pkzip. This produced several files in that directory.

        I added this directory to the search path and rebooted the computer.

        I copied the images over to an empty directory.
        I got several blank ds/dd diskettes from inventory.
        I placed one in a DS/DD drive.
        I ran the ImageDisk program and followed the prompts to create (write) a disk. Since I had a ds/dd drive I selected to not double step.

        Now, ask questions about any step above that equates to "here there be magic" when you read it and someone will expand on my description.

        I hope this helps.

        Kelly
      • chetwyndplace
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 26, 2014
          Thanks for this, Kelly.

          I am fairly comfortable with the MS-DOS environment.   That was where I started my programming career back in the early 90s.

          Your instructions seem very straight forward.  I'll dive into those tonight, and let you know how it goes.

          Many thanks!!!

          -AJ
        • billdeg
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 26, 2014
            link to kelly and my presentation from vcf 8 on my website, as well as malcoln mccl.'s presentation from this past vcf. both detail img disk how to. bill vintagecomputer.org -- click directory link, scroll down page to vcf section.