RE: [midatlanticretro] Re: OT - Hamfest next Sunday (7/9)

  • Kelly Leavitt
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 2, 2006

      You're correct that it is not strictly off topic.

      For 2005, I know there were 40 "indoor" vendors with tables and displays, and around 200 tailgaters with stuff to sell. I don't know how well stuff sold since I work the gate. By the time I'm off duty, I would assume most of the "good stuff" is gone. There was a lot of test scopes, probes, parts, supplies, and of course lots of radio equipment.

      Hope some of you can make it.

      Kelly
    • Herb Johnson
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 3, 2006
        --- "Kelly Leavitt" <kelly@...> wrote:
        > For 2005, I know there were 40 "indoor" vendors with tables and
        displays, and around 200 tailgaters with stuff to sell. I don't know
        how well stuff sold since I work the gate. By the time I'm off duty, I
        would assume most of the "good stuff" is gone. There was a lot of test
        scopes, probes, parts, supplies, and of course lots of radio equipment.

        > Hope some of you can make it.
        >
        > Kelly

        Thanks for the reply. In the last few years I've attended hamfests
        from Rochester NY to Tinmonium MD. It ain't like it used to be! Venues
        are smaller, attendence is smaller. Some hamfests have died altogether.

        The majority of items offered for sale are now COMPUTERS or computer
        parts - a vast majority of which were PC/Windows systems new and
        "old", then some commercial Sun/SGI/HP type stuff, old network
        controllers, other industrial grot. Second is anything radio, split
        between new vendors and used vendors, and some antique radio stuff.
        Parts dealers are roughly third, again new or used. The
        back-of-the-car sellers outnumber the dealers, and include those who
        have the old non-Windows stuff of interest to most of us, and a
        variety of everything else. There's often a few guys with a truck of
        stuff they can't sell commercially, they are at the 'fest to dump cheap.

        (Anyone else see anything different? I'd like to know!)

        But if you see a lot of test stuff and radio equipment at the END of
        the show, that's BAD - it means it did not sell! It might be good if
        you are a buyer, it pressures prices down. But what does not sell,
        will not be brought next time (or only junk quality will be brought),
        so it's bad in the long run. In a large event there will still be a
        few tables with quality stuff, a few with cheap stuff. Cheap and
        quality get bought at 6AM by the other dealers!

        The MIT Flea market is a little different; it's worth noting as MARCH
        has discussed a trip there. It's a monthly event during the season,
        with a mix of regulars and irregulars, and more old stuff and more
        non-PC stuff. More fun in my opinion, I've enjoyed buying and selling
        there. This leads to some good news for MARCH.

        I think a MARCH-sponsored flea market with a narrow focus can work IN
        THE LONG RUN. If we do a REGULAR event, narrow it to old computers
        only, we can draw both vendors AND buyers. If buyers will actually
        BUY, that will draw quality items (i.e. working and complete). It also
        encourages inexpensive items like some gaming computers, which
        otherwise would cost more to ship and eBay than they'd sell for.

        HErb Johnson

        Herbert R. Johnson, New Jersey USA
      • M. Frank
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 3, 2006
          I was at the hamfest in Piscataway on June 17, it was bad all around, no vintage computers, limited electronics, no old radio/television tubes, even the guy with the maroon solar panels skipped this one, there were lots of flashlights that you shake to gernerate power - $25 at TCF now $2 (3 for $5)  This hamfest when it used to be in Dunellen had about 150 vendors, about 30 now

          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 4, 2006
            --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "M. Frank" <mmfrank2001@...>
            wrote:

            > I was at the hamfest in Piscataway on June 17, it was bad all
            around, no vintage computers, limited electronics, no old
            radio/television tubes, even the guy with the maroon solar panels
            skipped this one, there were lots of flashlights that you shake to
            gernerate power - $25 at TCF now $2 (3 for $5) This hamfest when it
            used to be in Dunellen had about 150 vendors, about 30 now..

            I was there myself, late. Sold some Palm handhelds, one module from an
            oscilloscope. I saw a TI 99/4a, possibly one or two other old comps.

            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 4, 2006
              Herb, I didn't see you
              I have to mention that I as I was leaving at around 9:00a.m. I noticed that several vendors had recently arrived, I had already been there for two hours and  it was quite hot and I didn't think there would be anyone coming so late, maybe the strategy is to go for breakfast and then come back, even on a hot day      Mike

              wrote:

              > I was at the hamfest in Piscataway on June 17, it was bad all
              around, no vintage computers, limited electronics, no old
              radio/television tubes, even the guy with the maroon solar panels
              skipped this one, there were lots of flashlights that you shake to
              gernerate power - $25 at TCF now $2 (3 for $5) This hamfest when it
              used to be in Dunellen had about 150 vendors, about 30 now..

              I was there myself, late. Sold some Palm handhelds, one module from an
              oscilloscope. I saw a TI 99/4a, possibly one or two other old comps.

              Herb Johnson

              Herbert R. Johnson, New Jersey USA

              Do you Yahoo!?