Re: OT - Hamfest next Sunday (7/9)

  • Herb Johnson
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 2, 2006
      A hamfest is not off-topic for old computer collectors; I see
      old computers at every such event I've gone to. (The topic post refers
      to the Sussex County NJ ham fest.) How many vendors were there last
      year? Did much test equipment (scopes, meters, etc.) sell last time?
      (Now that's OT I'll admit.) Was there anything older than the Radio
      Shack and SGI stuff you mentioned, and did it SELL? Here's a link:

      http://www.scarcnj.org/www.scarcnj.org/hamfest_2004.php

      It's odd, you'd think that the Web would be full of descriptions of past
      and recent hamfests, so I would not have to ask. I'm a dealer, I LOOK
      for such descriptions. But all I find, at best, are someone's photos of
      the event - and mostly of FACES, familiar people, not what was offered!

      I'm afraid these venues are running out of steam, for reasons one can
      easily guess. Speaking of steam, I may be at the Tuckahoe MD Steam event
      that weekend. I'm a fan of old engines and machine tools. Also I love
      the Eastern Shore area in the MD penninsula, it's great camping, good
      people and good food. The show is Thursday-Sunday, I haven't set my
      dates to attend, depends on camping and weather.

      http://www.tuckahoesteam.org/

      It's unlikely there will be any old computers there. But not impossible,
      a dealer can have ANYTHING. I picked up an analog computer at one show.
      Also, engines and tools do a kind of ANALOG computation, with cams; they
      have control mechanisms, feedback like governors. There are a number of
      technologists who like steam and iron. And MARCH officers could learn
      museum skills about presentation and interpretation from the exhibitors
      and the museums associated with these kinds of shows.

      Herb Johnson

      Herbert R. Johnson, New Jersey USA
    • Kelly Leavitt
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 2, 2006

        You're correct that it is not strictly off topic.

        For 2005, I know there were 40 "indoor" vendors with tables and displays, and around 200 tailgaters with stuff to sell. I don't know how well stuff sold since I work the gate. By the time I'm off duty, I would assume most of the "good stuff" is gone. There was a lot of test scopes, probes, parts, supplies, and of course lots of radio equipment.

        Hope some of you can make it.

        Kelly
      • Herb Johnson
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 3, 2006
          --- "Kelly Leavitt" <kelly@...> wrote:
          > For 2005, I know there were 40 "indoor" vendors with tables and
          displays, and around 200 tailgaters with stuff to sell. I don't know
          how well stuff sold since I work the gate. By the time I'm off duty, I
          would assume most of the "good stuff" is gone. There was a lot of test
          scopes, probes, parts, supplies, and of course lots of radio equipment.

          > Hope some of you can make it.
          >
          > Kelly

          Thanks for the reply. In the last few years I've attended hamfests
          from Rochester NY to Tinmonium MD. It ain't like it used to be! Venues
          are smaller, attendence is smaller. Some hamfests have died altogether.

          The majority of items offered for sale are now COMPUTERS or computer
          parts - a vast majority of which were PC/Windows systems new and
          "old", then some commercial Sun/SGI/HP type stuff, old network
          controllers, other industrial grot. Second is anything radio, split
          between new vendors and used vendors, and some antique radio stuff.
          Parts dealers are roughly third, again new or used. The
          back-of-the-car sellers outnumber the dealers, and include those who
          have the old non-Windows stuff of interest to most of us, and a
          variety of everything else. There's often a few guys with a truck of
          stuff they can't sell commercially, they are at the 'fest to dump cheap.

          (Anyone else see anything different? I'd like to know!)

          But if you see a lot of test stuff and radio equipment at the END of
          the show, that's BAD - it means it did not sell! It might be good if
          you are a buyer, it pressures prices down. But what does not sell,
          will not be brought next time (or only junk quality will be brought),
          so it's bad in the long run. In a large event there will still be a
          few tables with quality stuff, a few with cheap stuff. Cheap and
          quality get bought at 6AM by the other dealers!

          The MIT Flea market is a little different; it's worth noting as MARCH
          has discussed a trip there. It's a monthly event during the season,
          with a mix of regulars and irregulars, and more old stuff and more
          non-PC stuff. More fun in my opinion, I've enjoyed buying and selling
          there. This leads to some good news for MARCH.

          I think a MARCH-sponsored flea market with a narrow focus can work IN
          THE LONG RUN. If we do a REGULAR event, narrow it to old computers
          only, we can draw both vendors AND buyers. If buyers will actually
          BUY, that will draw quality items (i.e. working and complete). It also
          encourages inexpensive items like some gaming computers, which
          otherwise would cost more to ship and eBay than they'd sell for.

          HErb Johnson

          Herbert R. Johnson, New Jersey USA
        • M. Frank
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 3, 2006
            I was at the hamfest in Piscataway on June 17, it was bad all around, no vintage computers, limited electronics, no old radio/television tubes, even the guy with the maroon solar panels skipped this one, there were lots of flashlights that you shake to gernerate power - $25 at TCF now $2 (3 for $5)  This hamfest when it used to be in Dunellen had about 150 vendors, about 30 now

            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 4, 2006
              --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "M. Frank" <mmfrank2001@...>
              wrote:

              > I was at the hamfest in Piscataway on June 17, it was bad all
              around, no vintage computers, limited electronics, no old
              radio/television tubes, even the guy with the maroon solar panels
              skipped this one, there were lots of flashlights that you shake to
              gernerate power - $25 at TCF now $2 (3 for $5) This hamfest when it
              used to be in Dunellen had about 150 vendors, about 30 now..

              I was there myself, late. Sold some Palm handhelds, one module from an
              oscilloscope. I saw a TI 99/4a, possibly one or two other old comps.

              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 4, 2006
                Herb, I didn't see you
                I have to mention that I as I was leaving at around 9:00a.m. I noticed that several vendors had recently arrived, I had already been there for two hours and  it was quite hot and I didn't think there would be anyone coming so late, maybe the strategy is to go for breakfast and then come back, even on a hot day      Mike

                wrote:

                > I was at the hamfest in Piscataway on June 17, it was bad all
                around, no vintage computers, limited electronics, no old
                radio/television tubes, even the guy with the maroon solar panels
                skipped this one, there were lots of flashlights that you shake to
                gernerate power - $25 at TCF now $2 (3 for $5) This hamfest when it
                used to be in Dunellen had about 150 vendors, about 30 now..

                I was there myself, late. Sold some Palm handhelds, one module from an
                oscilloscope. I saw a TI 99/4a, possibly one or two other old comps.

                Herb Johnson

                Herbert R. Johnson, New Jersey USA

                Do you Yahoo!?