HP-85 Tape Drive

  • Martin A Flynn
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 22, 2014
      The Battleship New Jersey has an HP85 as part of a display that has a
      defective tape drive.

      Anyone have access to the rollers and other small bits that dry & wear
      out (or would take on the repair to help another museum out)?

      Martin
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 22, 2014
        On 08/22/2014 09:51 PM, Martin A Flynn maflynn@...
        [midatlanticretro] wrote:
        > The Battleship New Jersey has an HP85 as part of a display that has a
        > defective tape drive.
        >
        > Anyone have access to the rollers and other small bits that dry & wear
        > out (or would take on the repair to help another museum out)?

        I've successfully rebuilt these using the "tubing trick" for several
        types of DC-100 drives. It's not difficult at all. I'm on the road at
        the moment and don't really have time to dig through my notes, but when
        I get back I can assist you via email if you decide to dig into it.

        Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 22, 2014
          > The Battleship New Jersey has an HP85 as part of a display that has a
          > defective tape drive.
          >
          > Anyone have access to the rollers and other small bits that dry & wear
          > out (or would take on the repair to help another museum out)?
          >
          > Martin

          I think this topic came up a few years ago. It would be a great
          community service if we can successfully help them.
        • joshbensadon
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 23, 2014
            This is the same drive that is on the HP9825.  I have repaired 2 of them using the vinyl clip cover.You can find a copy of it here:
            http://www.hp9845.net/9845/tutorials/tapedrives/