was anyone here active with programmable calculator groups?

  • jeff_s_jonas
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 22, 2014
      The Philly HP handheld / programmable calculator user group used to be very active, particularly at the Trenton Computer Fest selling videos of their technical seminars (such as HP28 internals and the Saturn processor).Was any MARCH-ian active with any such group?
      Any newsletters or archives?
    • Corey Kosak
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 22, 2014
        Don't know if this is relevant to you, but I saw these folks at Maker Faire last year: http://www.cemetech.net/

        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 22, 2014

          Don't know if this is relevant to you, but I saw these folks at Maker Faire last year: http://www.cemetech.net/

          Neat! It says the founder/admin lives in NYC. I'll inform him of MARCH and VCF East.
        • jeff_s_jonas
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 23, 2014
            Thanks for the link.I failed to correlate what they do with the vintage aspect of programmable calculators.
            They're continuing the fine tradition of squeezing every ounce of performance out of 'em
            and adding new things like connectivity.
            I'm really hesitant to alter my HP28C to convert from transmit-only IR
            to a bidirectional link: I want to keep it stock (as original).
            My TI-55 is too old & dumb to participate.
          • David Hayden
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 24, 2014
              There is still an active group of HP calculator enthusiasts. Just this morning I booked our flight to the annual conference, which is in Reno this year: http://hhuc.us/2014/. We'd welcome new attendees.

              Jake Schwartz from the Philly HP group is an active member. He video tapes the conferences every year and makes DVD's available for a small fee. Jake also publishes the PPC-DVD set, which is a huge collection of articles, publications, software, manuals and all sorts of other stuff: http://www.pahhc.org

              Most of the online activity takes place in the forums section at http://hpmuseum.org.  That site also has a software library.  If you like HP calculators, then get their DVD set. It contains a huge number of documents, including licensed version of the HP manuals for most old calculators.

              Speaking of libraries, a large library of programs for HP programmable calculators is at www.hpcalc.org.

              There's an active group in the UK that publishes a great magazine: http://www.hpcc.org/

              HP continues to make calculators. The latest is the HP Prime which has a dual-touch backlit color screen, a Pascal-like programming language and more memory than they care to publish.  It is by far the most advanced hand-held calculator you can buy today.

              If you yearn for the days of simple Reverse Polish Notation (RPN) calculators, check out the WP-34s: http://commerce.hpcalc.org/34s.php and http://sourceforge.net/projects/wp34s. The software was written by a small group of enthusiasts and the code was ported to the recent HP-20b and HP-30b hardware.  It's a really wonderful machine that's very fast and a joy to program.  The manual is concise but clear and very well written.  If you download the software, there's an emulator that will let you play around with it.

              Dave