OT - Hamfest next Sunday (7/9)

  • Kelly Leavitt
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 1 2:31 PM
      Sussex County Amateur Radio Club's annual ham fest.

      July 9th 2006. 7AM to Noon.

      Sussex county fair grounds, Augusta NJ.

      I saw a bunch of SGI, some apple and some radio shack stuff there last year.

      I'll be working the vendor's (tailgater's) gate.

      73 de Kelly
    • Herb Johnson
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 2 10:18 AM
        A hamfest is not off-topic for old computer collectors; I see
        old computers at every such event I've gone to. (The topic post refers
        to the Sussex County NJ ham fest.) How many vendors were there last
        year? Did much test equipment (scopes, meters, etc.) sell last time?
        (Now that's OT I'll admit.) Was there anything older than the Radio
        Shack and SGI stuff you mentioned, and did it SELL? Here's a link:

        http://www.scarcnj.org/www.scarcnj.org/hamfest_2004.php

        It's odd, you'd think that the Web would be full of descriptions of past
        and recent hamfests, so I would not have to ask. I'm a dealer, I LOOK
        for such descriptions. But all I find, at best, are someone's photos of
        the event - and mostly of FACES, familiar people, not what was offered!

        I'm afraid these venues are running out of steam, for reasons one can
        easily guess. Speaking of steam, I may be at the Tuckahoe MD Steam event
        that weekend. I'm a fan of old engines and machine tools. Also I love
        the Eastern Shore area in the MD penninsula, it's great camping, good
        people and good food. The show is Thursday-Sunday, I haven't set my
        dates to attend, depends on camping and weather.

        http://www.tuckahoesteam.org/

        It's unlikely there will be any old computers there. But not impossible,
        a dealer can have ANYTHING. I picked up an analog computer at one show.
        Also, engines and tools do a kind of ANALOG computation, with cams; they
        have control mechanisms, feedback like governors. There are a number of
        technologists who like steam and iron. And MARCH officers could learn
        museum skills about presentation and interpretation from the exhibitors
        and the museums associated with these kinds of shows.

        Herb Johnson

        Herbert R. Johnson, New Jersey USA
      • Kelly Leavitt
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 2 12:32 PM

          You're correct that it is not strictly off topic.

          For 2005, I know there were 40 "indoor" vendors with tables and displays, and around 200 tailgaters with stuff to sell. I don't know how well stuff sold since I work the gate. By the time I'm off duty, I would assume most of the "good stuff" is gone. There was a lot of test scopes, probes, parts, supplies, and of course lots of radio equipment.

          Hope some of you can make it.

          Kelly
        • Herb Johnson
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 3 9:38 AM
            --- "Kelly Leavitt" <kelly@...> wrote:
            > For 2005, I know there were 40 "indoor" vendors with tables and
            displays, and around 200 tailgaters with stuff to sell. I don't know
            how well stuff sold since I work the gate. By the time I'm off duty, I
            would assume most of the "good stuff" is gone. There was a lot of test
            scopes, probes, parts, supplies, and of course lots of radio equipment.

            > Hope some of you can make it.
            >
            > Kelly

            Thanks for the reply. In the last few years I've attended hamfests
            from Rochester NY to Tinmonium MD. It ain't like it used to be! Venues
            are smaller, attendence is smaller. Some hamfests have died altogether.

            The majority of items offered for sale are now COMPUTERS or computer
            parts - a vast majority of which were PC/Windows systems new and
            "old", then some commercial Sun/SGI/HP type stuff, old network
            controllers, other industrial grot. Second is anything radio, split
            between new vendors and used vendors, and some antique radio stuff.
            Parts dealers are roughly third, again new or used. The
            back-of-the-car sellers outnumber the dealers, and include those who
            have the old non-Windows stuff of interest to most of us, and a
            variety of everything else. There's often a few guys with a truck of
            stuff they can't sell commercially, they are at the 'fest to dump cheap.

            (Anyone else see anything different? I'd like to know!)

            But if you see a lot of test stuff and radio equipment at the END of
            the show, that's BAD - it means it did not sell! It might be good if
            you are a buyer, it pressures prices down. But what does not sell,
            will not be brought next time (or only junk quality will be brought),
            so it's bad in the long run. In a large event there will still be a
            few tables with quality stuff, a few with cheap stuff. Cheap and
            quality get bought at 6AM by the other dealers!

            The MIT Flea market is a little different; it's worth noting as MARCH
            has discussed a trip there. It's a monthly event during the season,
            with a mix of regulars and irregulars, and more old stuff and more
            non-PC stuff. More fun in my opinion, I've enjoyed buying and selling
            there. This leads to some good news for MARCH.

            I think a MARCH-sponsored flea market with a narrow focus can work IN
            THE LONG RUN. If we do a REGULAR event, narrow it to old computers
            only, we can draw both vendors AND buyers. If buyers will actually
            BUY, that will draw quality items (i.e. working and complete). It also
            encourages inexpensive items like some gaming computers, which
            otherwise would cost more to ship and eBay than they'd sell for.

            HErb Johnson

            Herbert R. Johnson, New Jersey USA
          • M. Frank
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 3 11:36 AM
              I was at the hamfest in Piscataway on June 17, it was bad all around, no vintage computers, limited electronics, no old radio/television tubes, even the guy with the maroon solar panels skipped this one, there were lots of flashlights that you shake to gernerate power - $25 at TCF now $2 (3 for $5)  This hamfest when it used to be in Dunellen had about 150 vendors, about 30 now

              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 4 10:34 AM
                --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "M. Frank" <mmfrank2001@...>
                wrote:

                > I was at the hamfest in Piscataway on June 17, it was bad all
                around, no vintage computers, limited electronics, no old
                radio/television tubes, even the guy with the maroon solar panels
                skipped this one, there were lots of flashlights that you shake to
                gernerate power - $25 at TCF now $2 (3 for $5) This hamfest when it
                used to be in Dunellen had about 150 vendors, about 30 now..

                I was there myself, late. Sold some Palm handhelds, one module from an
                oscilloscope. I saw a TI 99/4a, possibly one or two other old comps.

                Message 7 of 7 , Jul 4 5:20 PM
                  Herb, I didn't see you
                  I have to mention that I as I was leaving at around 9:00a.m. I noticed that several vendors had recently arrived, I had already been there for two hours and  it was quite hot and I didn't think there would be anyone coming so late, maybe the strategy is to go for breakfast and then come back, even on a hot day      Mike

                  wrote:

                  > I was at the hamfest in Piscataway on June 17, it was bad all
                  around, no vintage computers, limited electronics, no old
                  radio/television tubes, even the guy with the maroon solar panels
                  skipped this one, there were lots of flashlights that you shake to
                  gernerate power - $25 at TCF now $2 (3 for $5) This hamfest when it
                  used to be in Dunellen had about 150 vendors, about 30 now..

                  I was there myself, late. Sold some Palm handhelds, one module from an
                  oscilloscope. I saw a TI 99/4a, possibly one or two other old comps.

                  Herb Johnson

                  Herbert R. Johnson, New Jersey USA

                  Do you Yahoo!?