AT&T 7300/UNIX PC RS232 terminal setup

  • chetwyndplace
    Message 1 of 14 , Aug 16, 2014
      Does anyone have experience with setting up a dumb terminal to operate the AT&T 7300/UNIX PC?I now have a working machine, and I have never done this before.  If someone could at least point me to the correct manual PDF download, that would be extremely helpful.So far, fumbling around on my own, I found this menu, and set the device type to TERMINAL and speed to 9600.  (this is the speed of my terminal, set to 9600-8-N-1)http://bit.ly/1oFjxnYI tried both with and without a null modem adaptor (crossing only lines 2 & 3) between the RS232 port on the back of the 7300 and the dumb terminalI appreciate everyone's ideas here.  This is a great group!Thanks,-AJ

      Message 2 of 14 , Aug 16, 2014
        On 08/16/2014 11:32 PM, chetwyndplace@... [midatlanticretro] wrote:
        > Does anyone have experience with setting up a dumb terminal to operate
        > the AT&T 7300/UNIX PC?I now have a working machine, and I have never
        > done this before. If someone could at least point me to the correct
        > manual PDF download, that would be extremely helpful.So far, fumbling
        > around on my own, I found this menu, and set the device type to TERMINAL
        > and speed to 9600. (this is the speed of my terminal, set to
        > 9600-8-N-1)http://bit.ly/1oFjxnYI tried both with and without a null
        > modem adaptor (crossing only lines 2 & 3) between the RS232 port on the
        > back of the 7300 and the dumb terminalI appreciate everyone's ideas
        > here. This is a great group!Thanks,-AJ

        Oh good heavens. I did that 25 years ago, with the dual-serial card
        in the 7300.

        Check /etc/inittab for the line corresponding to the desired serial
        port in the 7300. I'm on the road right now, but I can dig through
        (very) old notes when I get home.

        Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
        New Kensington, PA
      • Neil Cherry
        Message 3 of 14 , Aug 17, 2014
          On 08/16/2014 11:37 PM, Dave McGuire Mcguire@... [midatlanticretro] wrote:
          > On 08/16/2014 11:32 PM, chetwyndplace@... [midatlanticretro] wrote:
          >> Does anyone have experience with setting up a dumb terminal to operate
          >> the AT&T 7300/UNIX PC?I now have a working machine, and I have never
          >> done this before.

          > Check /etc/inittab for the line corresponding to the desired serial
          > port in the 7300. I'm on the road right now, but I can dig through
          > (very) old notes when I get home.

          Also, the 3B1 won't like 3 wire communication, you need to build a full
          crossover cable with the 4 & 5 and 6, 8 & 20 connected appropriately.
          Unix expects proper handshaking.

          http://www.linuxha.com/ Main site
          http://linuxha.blogspot.com/ My HA Blog
          Message 4 of 14 , Aug 17, 2014
            On 08/17/2014 12:01 PM, Neil Cherry ncherry@...
            [midatlanticretro] wrote:
            >>> Does anyone have experience with setting up a dumb terminal to operate
            >>> the AT&T 7300/UNIX PC?I now have a working machine, and I have never
            >>> done this before.
            >
            >> Check /etc/inittab for the line corresponding to the desired serial
            >> port in the 7300. I'm on the road right now, but I can dig through
            >> (very) old notes when I get home.
            >
            > Also, the 3B1 won't like 3 wire communication, you need to build a full
            > crossover cable with the 4 & 5 and 6, 8 & 20 connected appropriately.
            > Unix expects proper handshaking.

            Are you suggesting that the 3B1 UNIX implementation in particular
            expects full handshaking? Because otherwise that's a big sweeping
            statement that's actually only rarely true. You can also set the
            terminal flags to "local" (I'm pretty sure that implementation supports
            that) which will disable most of the modem control lines.

            Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
            New Kensington, PA
          • Neil Cherry
            Message 5 of 14 , Aug 17, 2014
              On 08/17/2014 01:58 PM, Dave McGuire Mcguire@... [midatlanticretro] wrote:

              >>> Check /etc/inittab for the line corresponding to the desired serial
              >>> port in the 7300. I'm on the road right now, but I can dig through
              >>> (very) old notes when I get home.
              >>
              >> Also, the 3B1 won't like 3 wire communication, you need to build a full
              >> crossover cable with the 4 & 5 and 6, 8 & 20 connected appropriately.
              >> Unix expects proper handshaking.
              >
              > Are you suggesting that the 3B1 UNIX implementation in particular
              > expects full handshaking? Because otherwise that's a big sweeping
              > statement that's actually only rarely true. You can also set the
              > terminal flags to "local" (I'm pretty sure that implementation supports
              > that) which will disable most of the modem control lines.

              I agree with setting local, I've done this in much of my code. But I
              stand by my experiences with cabling on a number of Unix serial ports.
              I mostly worked with AT&T Unix (SYS III 2.0 thru SYS V 4.0) but some BSD
              (not sure whose systems) but local worked well with Linux and later BSDs
              such as the PC versions. Printers, terminals and modems needed to have
              either the correct pinning or a jumpered cable. I don't know what happened
              with the local setting in the stty command. I spent way too much time with
              a break-out box getting all sorts of things to communicate with Unix (and
              other systems). I also worked with 'stuff' (like routers) that interfaced
              to other weird things so that may taint my memories. Most of the RS232
              work stopped after the mid-90's. Also I can't recall why we went with the
              cabling vs some other methods.

              Message 6 of 14 , Aug 17, 2014
                On 08/17/2014 05:44 PM, Neil Cherry ncherry@...
                [midatlanticretro] wrote:
                > On 08/17/2014 01:58 PM, Dave McGuire Mcguire@... [midatlanticretro] wrote:

                >>> Also, the 3B1 won't like 3 wire communication, you need to build a full
                >>> crossover cable with the 4 & 5 and 6, 8 & 20 connected appropriately.
                >>> Unix expects proper handshaking.
                >>
                >> Are you suggesting that the 3B1 UNIX implementation in particular
                >> expects full handshaking? Because otherwise that's a big sweeping
                >> statement that's actually only rarely true. You can also set the
                >> terminal flags to "local" (I'm pretty sure that implementation supports
                >> that) which will disable most of the modem control lines.
                >
                > I agree with setting local, I've done this in much of my code. But I
                > stand by my experiences with cabling on a number of Unix serial ports.
                > I mostly worked with AT&T Unix (SYS III 2.0 thru SYS V 4.0) but some BSD
                > (not sure whose systems) but local worked well with Linux and later BSDs
                > such as the PC versions. Printers, terminals and modems needed to have
                > either the correct pinning or a jumpered cable. I don't know what happened
                > with the local setting in the stty command. I spent way too much time with
                > a break-out box getting all sorts of things to communicate with Unix (and
                > other systems). I also worked with 'stuff' (like routers) that interfaced
                > to other weird things so that may taint my memories. Most of the RS232
                > work stopped after the mid-90's. Also I can't recall why we went with the
                > cabling vs some other methods.

                The trouble here is that it's very hardware-specific. The OS cannot
                enforce behaviors based on signal lines that do not exist in the
                hardware, and on many platforms, it doesn't.

                Sure, I've seen plenty that do as well, but far less than half.

                Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                New Kensington, PA
              • chetwyndplace
                Message 7 of 14 , Aug 17, 2014
                  Dave, thanks for your feedback here.  I will standby for your notes on the /etc/inittab file edits & configuration.
                  Neil, I'd have to say that in this case, you are absolutely correct as far as getting this to work.  The full handshake null modem configuration worked!  See the adapter I used here:  http://bit.ly/Vx8Bfr
                  Here is what I have on my terminal now:  The prompt appears boot-up of the UNIX PC, simultaneously with the prompt appearing on the UNIX PC built-in monitor:

                  [SERIAL/DIRECT] CONNECTED TO PORT com1 (9600-8N1)
                  Welcome to the AT&T UNIX pc
                  Please login: aj
                  Please type the terminal name and press RETURN:  ?
                  The following terminals are supported for use with the Office windows and
                  menus.  To select one of these terminals, respond to the prompt by typing
                  the numbers or numbers and letters shown in the first column.
                   NAME(S)        DESCRIPTION
                  Bad termcap entry
                  510a  510A - AT&T Personal Terminal
                  510d  510D - AT&T Personal Terminal
                  513  b513  bct513  att513
                             - AT&T Teletype
                  4410       - AT&T Teletype
                  4420       - AT&T Teletype
                  5410       - AT&T Teletype
                  5420       - AT&T Teletype
                  5425       - AT&T Teletype
                  610        - AT&T Teletype
                  620        - AT&T Teletype
                  PC6300PLUS  pc6300plus  6300plus
                             - AT&T PC6300+
                  unixpc  3b1  pc7300  PC7300  s4
                             - AT&T UNIX pc
                  hp2621     - Hewlett-packard
                  tvi925     - Televideo
                  vt100      - DEC
                  <Press RETURN for more instructions>
                  Some other terminals may work with the Office windows and menus, but not
                  all terminals have been tested.
                  Most terminals will work with most character-based software on the
                  UNIX PC.  If your terminal is "not supported", it will probably work
                  only for simple text and line-by-line data entry.  Consult your Remote
                  User's Guide or the Hot Line for more information.
                  Please type the terminal name, '?' for help, or 'exit' to exit,
                  and press RETURN:  exit
                  Welcome to the AT&T UNIX pc
                  Please login: root
                  Please type the terminal name and press RETURN:  vt100
                             74% of the storage space is available.
                  # ls -l
                  total 707
                  -rwxr-xr-x  1 root    root          0 Aug 16 21:54 .history
                  -rw-rw-rw-  1 root    root      15360 Aug 16 21:55 .phdir
                  -rwxr-xr-x  1 root    root         73 Jan  1  1970 .profile
                  drwxr-xr-x  2 root    root         32 Aug 16 21:54 Notes
                  -rwxr-xr-x  2 root    root     167692 Jan  1  1970 UNIX3.5
                  drwxr-xr-x  2 bin     bin        1424 Feb  9  1992 bin
                  drwxr-xr-x  2 root    sys        1648 Feb  8  1992 dev
                  drwxr-xr-x  5 root    sys        1328 Aug 17 17:47 etc
                  drwxrwxr-x  3 bin     bin         320 Feb  9  1992 lib
                  drwxrwxrwx  2 root    root       1024 Aug  6  1986 lost+found
                  drwxrwxrwx  2 root    root         32 Jan  1  1970 mnt
                  drwxrwxrwx  2 root    root         32 Jan  1  1970 mnta
                  drwxrwxrwx  2 root    root         32 Jan  1  1970 mntb
                  drwxrwxrwx  2 root    sys         240 Aug 17 17:50 tmp
                  drwxr-xr-x  6 bin     bin          96 Aug 17 16:05 u
                  -rwxr-xr-x  2 root    root     167692 Jan  1  1970 unix
                  drwxrwxr-x 14 bin     bin         224 Feb  9  1992 usr
                  # exit
                  Welcome to the AT&T UNIX pc
                  Please login:
                  Now, when I login as a user that boots directly to the "office" application, the window looks very nice in my ZOC terminal emulator.  When asked:
                  Please type the terminal name and press RETURN:
                  I answer "vt100"
                  See  http://bit.ly/XtwhCV

                  The arrow keys of my keyboard move the cursor up and down through the menu, but the "enter" key only moves the cursor to the next menu item, it does not send the command to "accept" the selected option.  ON the UNIX PC, there are separate Enter and Return keys, but not so on my modern PC keyboard which I use with the terminal emulator running on Windows 7.
                  Does anyone have any ideas what setting I might look into changing to assign a key to send a code that the UNIX PC interprets as "enter"?
                  Thanks everyone, this is a lot of fun!
                  -AJ
                • chetwyndplace

                    Message 9 of 14 , Aug 17, 2014
                      On 08/17/2014 05:45 PM, Dave McGuire Mcguire@... [midatlanticretro] wrote:

                      > The trouble here is that it's very hardware-specific. The OS cannot
                      > enforce behaviors based on signal lines that do not exist in the
                      > hardware, and on many platforms, it doesn't.

                      Yup, like riding a bicycle downhill with no brakes. That brings up a
                      good point. It always a good idea to know why we're cheating. Sometimes
                      it's not the best way other times it's an acceptable cheat.

                      Most of the time, when you cheat with the handshaking, the flow control
                      needed to be moved to the application. For modems things like X, Y and Z
                      modem handled this. For things like printers this could get interesting.

                      Message 10 of 14 , Aug 17, 2014
                        Duane & Neil,Thanks for those ^ commands, but neither work yet.  I'm searching to see if I can find any answers in either of these manuals online: AT&T UNIX PC Remote Access User's Guide http://www.tenox.net/docs/att_ unixpc_remote_access_users_ guide_3b1_3.51_90.pdf AT&T UNIX PC Terminal Emulation User's Guide http://www.tenox.net/docs/att_ unixpc_terminal_emulation_ users_guide_3b1_3.51_130.pdf
                        Message 11 of 14 , Aug 17, 2014
                          On 08/17/2014 10:44 PM, chetwyndplace@... [midatlanticretro] wrote:
                          > Duane & Neil,Thanks for those ^ commands, but neither work yet. I'm
                          > searching to see if I can find any answers in either of these manuals
                          > online: AT&T UNIX PC Remote Access User's Guide
                          > http://www.tenox.net/docs/att_ unixpc_remote_access_users_
                          > guide_3b1_3.51_90.pdf
                          > <http://www.tenox.net/docs/att_unixpc_remote_access_users_guide_3b1_3.51_90.pdf>
                          > AT&T UNIX PC Terminal Emulation User's Guide
                          > http://www.tenox.net/docs/att_ unixpc_terminal_emulation_
                          > users_guide_3b1_3.51_130.pdf
                          > <http://www.tenox.net/docs/att_unixpc_terminal_emulation_users_guide_3b1_3.51_130.pdf>

                          Just to be sure (please do not take offense)...The "^" stuff is
                          ctrl-J, etc. Your calling them "^ commands" made me nervous. ;)

                          I just saw your other email...will reply there.

                          Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                          Message 12 of 14 , Aug 17, 2014
                            On 08/17/2014 09:25 PM, chetwyndplace@... [midatlanticretro] wrote:
                            > Welcome to the AT&T UNIX pc
                            > < /div>
                            > Please login: root
                            > Please type the terminal name and press RETURN: vt100
                            > 74% of the storage space is available.
                            > # ls -l
                            > total 707
                            > -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 0 Aug 16 21:54 .history
                            > -rw-rw-rw- 1 root root 15360 Aug 16 21:55 .phdir
                            > -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 73 Jan 1 1970 .profile
                            > drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 32 Aug 16 21:54 Notes
                            > -rwxr-xr-x 2 root root 167692 Jan 1 1970 UNIX3.5
                            > drwxr-xr-x 2 bin bin 1424 Feb 9 1992 bin
                            > drwxr-xr-x 2 root sys 1648 Feb 8 1992 dev
                            > drwxr-xr-x 5 root sys 1328 Aug 17 17:47 etc
                            > drwxrwxr-x 3 bin bin 320 Feb 9 1992 lib
                            > drwxrwxrwx 2 root root 1024 Aug 6 1986 lost+found
                            > drwxrwxrwx 2 root root 32 Jan 1 1970 mnt
                            > drwxrwxrwx 2 root root 32 Jan 1 1970 mnta
                            > drwxrwxrwx 2 root root 32 Jan 1 1970 mntb
                            > drwxrwxrwx 2 root sys 240 Aug 17 17:50 tmp
                            > drwxr-xr-x 6 bin bin 96 Aug 17 16:05 u
                            > -rwxr-xr-x 2 root root 167692 Jan 1 1970 unix
                            > drwxrw xr-x 14 bin bin 224 Feb 9 1992 usr
                            > # exit
                            > Welcome to the AT&T UNIX pc
                            > Please login:

                            Success!

                            > Now, when I login as a user that boots directly to the "office"
                            > application, the window looks very nice in my ZOC terminal emulator.
                            > When asked:
                            > Please type the terminal name and press RETURN:
                            > I answer "vt100"
                            > See http://bit.ly/XtwhCV
                            >
                            > The arrow keys of my keyboard move the cursor up and down through the
                            > menu, but the "enter" key only moves the cursor to the next menu item,
                            > it does not send the command to "accept" the selected option. ON the
                            > UNIX PC, there are separate Enter and Return keys, but not so on my
                            > modern PC keyboard which I use with the terminal emulator running on
                            > Windows 7.
                            > Does anyone have any ideas what setting I might look into changing to
                            > assign a key to send a code that the UNIX PC interprets as "enter"?

                            It will be in the termcap entry, but digging through that will be a
                            project in itself. There's no "standard" for that sort of thing, or at
                            least there wasn't back then...nowadays we'd kinda expect <cr> to "take
                            action on this item" but that could be anything. I myself never used
                            the menu system (I'm a UNIX guy, not a menu guy) so I don't know
                            offhand...it's really a matter of what that development team chose to
                            use as the "do it" character. Try space, etc.

                            Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                            New Kensington, PA
                          • chetwyndplace
                            Message 13 of 14 , Aug 17, 2014
                              Thanks everyone, this dialogue really helps!
                              I find the answer for escape sequences on PDF page 35 of the
                              AT&T UNIX PC Remote Access User's Guide
                              So, creating quick "send text" buttons in my ZOC terminal emulator allows me to create these keys.
                              ^[ex for Exit, for example.
                              Thanks again everyone!  On to the next challenge...
                              -AJ
                              Message 14 of 14 , Aug 17, 2014
                                On 08/17/2014 11:26 PM, chetwyndplace@... [midatlanticretro] wrote:
                                > Thanks everyone, this dialogue really helps!
                                > I find the answer for escape sequences on PDF page 35 of the
                                > AT&T UNIX PC Remote Access User's Guide
                                > http://www.tenox.net/docs/att_unixpc_remote_access_users_guide_3b1_3.51_90.pdf
                                > So, creating quick "send text" buttons in my ZOC terminal emulator
                                > allows me to create these keys.
                                > ^[ex for Exit, for example.
                                > Thanks again everyone! On to the next challenge...

                                Excellent! Congrats on getting it working.

                                Dave McGuire, AK4HZ