October workshop (with a twist)

    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 15, 2014
      MARCHins,

      A few people told me they'd like to have another repair workshop weekend
      in October.

      However, InfoAge has its Halloween event every Friday and Saturday night
      that month. It would reflect poorly on our club if we show up for the
      weekend and we don't help that Saturday night.

      Two questions:
      - Do we in fact want an October workshop?
      - Are we willing to do something awesome (I don't know what .... maybe
      "scary vintage videogame night*"; other suggestions?) as a special side
      fundraiser for InfoAge on the Saturday night of whichever weekend we pick?)

      * There is one potential big downside of that specific idea. Every year
      at the Halloween event there are dozens of teens who show up and just
      kind of hang out and/or wait around for their parents after taking the
      haunted tour. We certainly would not want to handle a situation where
      they're hogging a machine or being bratty. That would be a concern that
      we need to prepare for BEFORE we make any decisions about a special
      event. We could potentially say it's $5/person for 15 minutes of play
      but then we would have to enforce it when the event location gets busy.)

      ----

      We'd still have all of Saturday in the daytime and all of Sunday for a
      standard workshop.
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 15, 2014
        > Two questions:
        > - Do we in fact want an October workshop?
        > - Are we willing to do something awesome (I don't know what .... maybe
        > "scary vintage videogame night*"; other suggestions?) as a special side
        > fundraiser for InfoAge on the Saturday night of whichever weekend we pick?)
        >
        > * There is one potential big downside of that specific idea. Every year
        > at the Halloween event there are dozens of teens who show up and just
        > kind of hang out and/or wait around for their parents after taking the
        > haunted tour. We certainly would not want to handle a situation where
        > they're hogging a machine or being bratty. That would be a concern that
        > we need to prepare for BEFORE we make any decisions about a special
        > event. We could potentially say it's $5/person for 15 minutes of play
        > but then we would have to enforce it when the event location gets busy.)

        Got an idea!
        - We connect a 2600 to our digital projector (we have one, thanks to Corey)
        - We aim the projector at the biggest screen that we could ever possibly
        hack
        - We set up the electronics and two chairs under a canopy tent (if it rains)
        - We let people pay-to-play for X minutes at a time with a line of
        people watching
        - We charge $5/head and donate all that $$$$ to InfoAge at the end of
        the night
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 17, 2014
          > Two questions:
          > - Do we in fact want an October workshop?
          > - Are we willing to do something awesome (I don't know what .... maybe
          > "scary vintage videogame night*"; other suggestions?) as a special side
          > fundraiser for InfoAge on the Saturday night of whichever weekend we pick?)

          Bump
        • Jeffrey Brace
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 18, 2014
            I'm always interested in a workshop.