Re: Computer signage on my table

  • evan947
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 28, 2005
      Good news: a couple of days ago the replica started to work. I don't
      know how to program in assembly, but I had fun playing with Integer
      BASIC. I also was able to use Woz's 'monitor' application.

      Yesterday I ordered a non-volatile IC from DigiKey.com, to replace
      the volatile chip that Vince Briel includes with the design. That
      should arrive tomorrow or Monday. (I had to do this -- there is no
      other storage option because my case design won't have room for the
      serial I/O board and Vince says the cassette interface isn't
      finished.)

      FYI, for those who have no idea what I'm talking about:
      http://home.comcast.net/~vbriel/index.htm :)

      Now that it works, I'm designing a custom case for it. Since I
      collect handhelds/portables, I figured my case should be of the
      laptop variety. Sellam Ismail (of VCF fame) gave me an old
      PowerBook -- it's the model 145B because that one is rather large,
      giving me plenty of room to work. I took it apart, removed the
      screen and all of the electronics, so now it's just a bare plastic
      shell. Now I'm working on stuffing the following inside it:
      keyboard, new LCD display, motherboard, NiMH cells. The only problem
      so far is getting the board to work with the LCD, but Vince is
      helping with that.

      I put a photo of the 'empty' laptop under the photos link in this
      group. The photo is not very good quality but you get the idea.

      --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "macmothership"
      <macmothership@y...> wrote:

      > Evan,
      >
      > Wow - that really would complete the line-up and fit in perfectly.
      I can create a sign for
      > that also. Great!
      > Do you have a small monitor for it to use?
      >
      > --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, evan <evan947@y...> wrote:
      > > Sounds great, Jim. Would be even better if the rest of us follow
      your lead.
      > > :)
      > >
      > > If I can the Apple 1 replica working, we can put that on your
      table too.
    • macmothership
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 29, 2005
        That is great news - the Apple 1 is something most people have never been able to get
        their hands on, just read about - should be cool!

        Have you given any thought to enclosing it in a "period" case. As you know, many were in
        hand built wooden cases with the keyboard, or generic metal enclosures. I've uploaded a
        photo.

        I'll print out an Ad and Article on the Apple 1 from my website to have on display next to
        the unit at the show.

        --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "evan947" <evan947@y...> wrote:

        > Good news: a couple of days ago the replica started to work. I don't
        > know how to program in assembly, but I had fun playing with Integer
        > BASIC. I also was able to use Woz's 'monitor' application.
        >
        > Yesterday I ordered a non-volatile IC from DigiKey.com, to replace
        > the volatile chip that Vince Briel includes with the design. That
        > should arrive tomorrow or Monday. (I had to do this -- there is no
        > other storage option because my case design won't have room for the
        > serial I/O board and Vince says the cassette interface isn't
        > finished.)
        >
        > FYI, for those who have no idea what I'm talking about:
        > http://home.comcast.net/~vbriel/index.htm :)
        >
        > Now that it works, I'm designing a custom case for it. Since I
        > collect handhelds/portables, I figured my case should be of the
        > laptop variety. Sellam Ismail (of VCF fame) gave me an old
        > PowerBook -- it's the model 145B because that one is rather large,
        > giving me plenty of room to work. I took it apart, removed the
        > screen and all of the electronics, so now it's just a bare plastic
        > shell. Now I'm working on stuffing the following inside it:
        > keyboard, new LCD display, motherboard, NiMH cells. The only problem
        > so far is getting the board to work with the LCD, but Vince is
        > helping with that.
        >
        > I put a photo of the 'empty' laptop under the photos link in this
        > group. The photo is not very good quality but you get the idea.
        >

        > --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "macmothership"
        > <macmothership@y...> wrote:
        > >
        > > Evan,
        > >
        > > Wow - that really would complete the line-up and fit in perfectly.
        > I can create a sign for
        > > that also. Great!
        > > Do you have a small monitor for it to use?
        > >
        > > --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, evan <evan947@y...> wrote:
        > > > Sounds great, Jim. Would be even better if the rest of us follow
        > your lead.
        > > > :)
        > > >
        > > > If I can the Apple 1 replica working, we can put that on your
        > table too.
      • evan947
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 30, 2005
          Yes, I'm considering that... however the portable version is my main
          project right now. (Vince Briel, who designed the kit, has a version
          very similar to the original, just like in your photo. Check his out:
          http://home.comcast.net/~vbriel/r1se.htm) -- it's sold already but I
          think he's willing to make more for whoever is willing to order one.