Museum donation requested: big moving cart

    Message 1 of 14 , Jul 28, 2014
      MARCHins,

      We could use a big moving cart for the warehouse. We often find
      ourselves moving stuff from one end of the warehouse to another, or from
      someone's vehicle to someplace else on campus, and that sort of thing.
      InfoAge has a great one that we used to borrow -- a big cage-like
      contraption on wheels with a solid metal base -- but that is no longer
      possible with our new warehouse being elsewhere on campus from the main
      storage areas (and it always took forever to * find * the darn thing, or
      other people were already using it, etc.)

      Does anyone have something like that to donate? Jeff J. brought in a red
      wagon which is excellent for smaller items but we need something bigger.
      It should be able to hold a few large boxes, a "small" DEC/IBM/Sun
      chassis, etc. Perfectly fine if it's used; no need for you or us to
      spend a bunch of money on this.

      Related: We also need a simple handtruck. This would complement, not
      negate, the need for a big honkin' moving cart. Something we never got
      one in the past 10 years. Crazy huh? (InfoAge has a deracking handtruck
      which is * very nice * but it's no good for picking up stuff from ground
      level.)

      Currently we are using half of a mobile shelving unit and/or our pallet
      jack (Best tools/supplies donation ever! Kudos to Don C.). But neither
      of those are right tools for the job.

      Please let me know if you can help (don't just surprise us -- that's
      nice but it hinders planning.)
    • rahwayflynn
      Message 2 of 14 , Jul 28, 2014
        Evan,
        I have a tricam garden cart MARCH can have. Hit the home depot website and search "tricam"

        Martin

        Message 3 of 14 , Jul 28, 2014
          > I have a tricam garden cart MARCH can have. Hit the home depot website
          > and search "tricam"
          >
          > Martin

          That'd be useful and very much appreciated. I do think we could use
          something larger though. Kind of hard to tell from the Home Depot
          picture. It says the sides fold down, so that's encouraging.
          Message 4 of 14 , Jul 30, 2014
            Update ... we didn't get a lot of response to the call for a big honkin'
            moving cart ... Home Depot's selection is no good, Grainger has an
            awesome selection but we'd have to sell a few of our vital organs on the
            black market, and Harbor Freight has a nice cart for only $53 but it is
            relatively small (2x3 ft.) ... so that got me thinking ... it would be
            very easy to just build one. 4x8 sheet of plywood cut in thirds (Home
            Depot does the cutting for you) is 4x2'8" ... screw the three slices
            together for a very solid base (or buy two sheets and make three carts
            of two slices each!) ... screw on some caster wheels ... attach a rope
            for the handle ... done. Even I can do that.
          • orion3311
            Message 5 of 14 , Jul 30, 2014
              Did you check Craigslist? Saw this in Brick...looks like it'd be up for hauling some comp equipment and I'm sure you can do some haggling over it.

              http://jerseyshore.craigslist.org/for/4525430677.html
              Message 6 of 14 , Jul 30, 2014
                > Did you check Craigslist? Saw this in Brick...looks like it'd be up for
                > hauling some comp equipment and I'm sure you can do some haggling over it.
                >
                > http://jerseyshore.craigslist.org/for/4525430677.html

                Thanks, but I'm looking for something flat (no shelves) and wider.
              • orion3311
                Message 7 of 14 , Jul 30, 2014
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jul 30, 2014
                    > Thanks, but I'm looking for something flat (no shelves) and wider.

                    Something like this:
                    http://www.splorp.com/gif/daily.020717.jpg
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jul 30, 2014
                      > Ok how about this:
                      >
                      > http://cnj.craigslist.org/for/4554587613.html

                      Interesting! I wonder how much weight it can hold.
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jul 30, 2014
                        >> Ok how about this:
                        >>
                        >> http://cnj.craigslist.org/for/4554587613.html
                        >
                        > Interesting! I wonder how much weight it can hold.

                        PS, let me know if you see one for around half that price.

                        It is important for all MARCHins to remember that this is YOUR money
                        being spent. :)
                      • Barry L. Kline
                        Message 11 of 14 , Aug 1 5:00 PM
                          On 07/30/2014 11:56 PM, Evan Koblentz evan@... [midatlanticretro]
                          wrote:

                          >>> Ok how about this:
                          >>>
                          >>> http://cnj.craigslist.org/for/4554587613.html
                          >>
                          >> Interesting! I wonder how much weight it can hold.
                          >
                          > PS, let me know if you see one for around half that price.
                          >
                          > It is important for all MARCHins to remember that this is YOUR money
                          > being spent. :)

                          What if I kicked in the other half? $100 for the cart, MARCH puts in
                          $50 and I put in $50.

                          Barry
                        • Dean Notarnicola
                          Message 12 of 14 , Aug 1 7:34 PM
                            I'd be willing to kick in $30.

                            Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPhone

                            >> Interesting! I wonder how much weight it can hold.
                            >
                            > PS, let me know if you see one for around half that price.
                            >
                            > It is important for all MARCHins to remember that this is YOUR money
                            > being spent. :)

                            What if I kicked in the other half? $100 for the cart, MARCH puts in
                            $50 and I put in $50.

                            Barry

                          • Alex Duboski
                            Message 13 of 14 , Aug 1 7:56 PM

                              I can do $20, do you take donations via PayPal?

                              - Alex D.
                              Message 14 of 14 , Aug 1 8:13 PM
                                Guys, I appreciate it, but we don't need cash donations for this. I was just being frugal. :)

                                Dan R. convinced me not to DIY so I will take the easy way out: for $100 (which is no problem) we'll get two of the Harbor Freight carts.

                                Will also probably buy several furniture dolly carts. HF has many sizes and they're very inexpensive .... MARCH has many desk-side minis which would be a whole lot easier to move on wheels .... a good match!