What is the best and safest way to ship 8" disk to someone on the other side of the country

  • corey986
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 24, 2014

      I need to ship some 8" hard sector disks to a friend.  I want to make sure they don't get damaged and the data is intact.

      I was thinking of making a cardboard sleeve and putting them in a bubble wrap envelope and marking it as fragile do not bend.  Is there something else I should do like wrap them in foil or something.  I really want to make sure this data gets there.

      Thanks,

      Corey

    • Dennis Boone
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 24, 2014
        > I was thinking of making a cardboard sleeve and putting them in a bubble
        > wrap envelope and marking it as fragile do not bend. Is there something
        > else I should do like wrap them in foil or something. I really want to
        > make sure this data gets there.

        You see "fragile do not bend", handlers in the mail/parcel system see
        "please spindle and mutilate". :) The package needs to be stiff enough
        to protect itself. Bubblewrap envelopes have no structure; they protect
        from bounces, not from folds or punctures. Other heavier boxes will get
        dropped on it in transit. Typically (thank you, Professor Murphy)
        they'll land corner first.

        Magnetic field strength drops off as an inverse of distance from the
        source. Steepness of the curve depends on type of source, but it's
        likely to be at least square law. Getting a field strong enough to
        damage recorded data over even an inch or two is therefore relatively
        unlikely. The easiest way to deal with magnetic fields is to just leave
        a bit if distance between the media and the outside of the container.

        Not sure what the conventional wisdom is on dealing with stuff like
        fluoroscopy, which might be used to examine parcels. Marking the
        package "magnetic media" _might_ help, though I'm cynical.

        For what it's worth, I've moved several 9-track tapes through mail and
        parcel services recently, and not had any trouble.

        De
      • joshbensadon
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 24, 2014

          I have received many floppy disks.  Sandwich in cardboard and put them in an evelope.

          They are floppy disks, they are allowed to bend a little.

          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 24, 2014
            On 07/24/2014 06:29 PM, joshbensadon wrote:
            > I have received many floppy disks. Sandwich in cardboard and put them
            > in an evelope.
            >

            > They are floppy disks, they are allowed to bend a little.

            Well, they used to be allowed to bend a little. Unless they are of
            recent manufacture, the binders used in most types of floppies are
            starting to become a bit brittle, and the media flakes off.

            Dave McGuire, AK4HZ/3
            New Kensington, PA
          • billdeg
            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 24, 2014
              I have hard plastic 8in holders for such jobs.  See if you can find some on Ebay.
            • Systems Glitch
              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 24, 2014
                > Not sure what the conventional wisdom is on dealing with stuff like
                > fluoroscopy, which might be used to examine parcels. Marking the
                > package "magnetic media" _might_ help, though I'm cynical.

                That's usually what I do. There are official-looking labels available as well (check ULINE). I don't mail floppies often anymore, but I did have unformatted disks show up a few times in the 90's (3.5" HD disks).

                Thanks,
                Jonathan
              • corey986
                Message 7 of 9 , Jul 25, 2014
                  Thanks everyone, I guess I'll pack them up and mark them "do not bend" and "magnetic media" and hope they make it.

                  Cheers,
                  Corey
                • David Gesswein
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jul 25, 2014
                    On Fri, Jul 25, 2014 at 08:56:48AM -0700, corey986 wrote:
                    > Thanks everyone, I guess I'll pack them up and mark them "do not bend"
                    > and "magnetic media" and hope they make it.

                    If you don't want something bent put it in a box with plenty of
                    padding to make it real difficult. I ships 8" disks in boxes, not envelopes.

                    http://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/gadgets/tests/which-shipping-company-is-kindest-to-your-packages?click=pp

                    'One disheartening result was that our package received more abuse when
                    marked "Fragile" or "This Side Up." The carriers flipped the package more,
                    and it registered above-average acceleration spikes during trips for which
                    we requested careful treatment'
                  • mwillega
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jul 26, 2014
                      A little late, but you can get foam board at craft stores and cut to size.  A few layers will really help make the package rigid.  Cheapest source I have found is dollar tree shops at $1 per sheet.

                      Knowing how big organizations operate, I've been skeptical for a while that marking anything fragile or magnetic or this side up or anything thing else will make much of a difference.  In any case, if you pack properly you shouldn't have an issue.

                      I doubt that most carriers do anything that would affect magnetic media, and if they did, I doubt that you could do anything about it, but in my investigations, I found this interesting tidbit.

                      regards,
                      Mike W.