TRS-80 available in central NJ

    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 23, 2014
      No affiliation with the seller, just passing the message along....

      --------------

      I visited the InfoAge center today and saw the MARCH computer museum, it
      brought back some memories of computers I used to use. I recently got a
      Radio Shack TRS-80 at an estate sale, but the only thing that seems to
      work is the video display. Would you or any of your members be
      interested in it? It has the computer, video display, expansion
      interface, telephone modem and a Basic Computer Games book. The date on
      the unit is September 1978. I would be glad to donate to someone who
      would enjoy working with it. I live in Bernardsville NJ if anyone is
      interested enough to come and pick it up.

      Steve Autenrieth
      autenrieth@...
    • Al Hartman
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 24, 2014
        I sent a note to the OP, hoping to get this unit. My keyboard unit still
        doesn't work, my monitor is shot, and my E/I doesn't work with the unit I
        bought from M.A.R.C.H. last summer.

        I fixed the Model IV, but the Model III still needs a new power supply and
        floppy drive.

        -[ Al ]-

        TRS-80 available in central NJ
        Posted by: "Evan Koblentz" evan@... ekoblentz
        Date: Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:58 pm ((PDT))

        No affiliation with the seller, just passing the message along....

        --------------

        I visited the InfoAge center today and saw the MARCH computer museum, it
        brought back some memories of computers I used to use. I recently got a
        Radio Shack TRS-80 at an estate sale, but the only thing that seems to
        work is the video display. Would you or any of your members be
        interested in it? It has the computer, video display, expansion
        interface, telephone modem and a Basic Computer Games book. The date on
        the unit is September 1978. I would be glad to donate to someone who
        would enjoy working with it. I live in Bernardsville NJ if anyone is
        interested enough to come and pick it up.

        Steve Autenrieth
        autenrieth@...

        Messages in this topic (1)

        Yahoo Groups Links

      • Al Hartman
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 24, 2014
          I've made arrangements to pick this up tomorrow. Once I get it here and we
          set it up, I'll let the group know what shape it's in, in case anyone is
          curious.

          Being that it's a Model I without disk drives, most likely the user doesn't
          know how to use it.

          My plan is to build one functional Model I disk system with the E/I from
          this lot, and whichever of the two keyboard units I will then have is in the
          best shape.

          If anyone needs Model I or Model III disks made, I should then be in good
          shape to make them. My friend Tom is also going to help me get the Model III
          on it's feet by replacing the bad power supply in it (there are two, the one
          that powers the Cassette system works fine, the one meant to power the disk
          system is bad) with a higher rated switching supply.

          I have masters of most of the operating systems, and using my 5150 should be
          able to take images I've downloaded and create disks from them.

          Next on my plate is to get my Laser 128 running (needs the floppy drive
          replaced), and build an adapter cable to use a spare Atari-ST power supply
          to run my Laser XT 512 clone (an XT clone in the same case as the Laser
          128).

          I bought an ADT cable, so I can then make disks for the Laser 128 from
          images I've downloaded. I wish there was something like ADT for the TRS-80.

          -[ Al ]-
        • Al Hartman
          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 25, 2014

            We went to pick up the TRS-80 Model I. After stopping at Applebee's for lunch (Outback wasn't open for lunch), we got the unit home and set it up.

            It appears to have something wrong with the keyboard unit as it starts up with graphic characters all over the screen. Also, the "A" key does not appear to work.

            It's a unit with the DIN cable going from the keyboard to the expansion interface, so it won't work with my other keyboard unit.

            So, that's for another day.

            We opened the Expansion Interface, there was no doubler or RS-232 in it. I’m on the lookout now for one of each.

            We replaced the bad floppy drive power supply in the Model III. It now boots to floppy though one drive is bad. Hopefully, the bad drive can be fixed. We took the good door from the 0 drive which didn’t read disks, and moved it to the 1 drive which worked but had a bad door latch. My friend Tom is going to fix the broken latch and see if the drive will work after a cleaning and speed adjustment. I was out of alcohol, and didn’t have a florescent lamp for the speed test.

            The model III also has a bad keyboard, so if anyone runs across a Model III keyboard that works, let me know.

            -[ Al ]-

          • David Hoelzer
            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 25, 2014
              Good to hear about a rescue. :)

              I'm still working to get my model II all sorted out.  I've invested in a disk expansion and a spare shugart..  I seem to have only one reliably working drive between the three, though.

              Anyone have any experience with tuning/fixing these 8" shugart style floppies?  You really need at least two working drives on a model II to get anything at all done. :(

              On Jul 25, 2014, at 8:23 PM, Al Hartman alhartman6@... [midatlanticretro] <midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

[...]

            • John Ruschmeyer
              Message 6 of 10 , Jul 25, 2014

                On Fri, Jul 25, 2014 at 8:23 PM, Al Hartman alhartman6@... [midatlanticretro] <midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                We went to pick up the TRS-80 Model I. After stopping at Applebee's for lunch (Outback wasn't open for lunch), we got the unit home and set it up.

                It appears to have something wrong with the keyboard unit as it starts up with graphic characters all over the screen. Also, the "A" key does not appear to work.

                It's a unit with the DIN cable going from the keyboard to the expansion interface, so it won't work with my other keyboard unit.

                It sounds like you're missing the ribbon cable from the CPU (keyboard) to the EI. As for the DIN cable, if memory serves, that is just the normal power supply relocated to inside the EI for convenience. I may be misunderstanding something, but you should be able to use your other CPU just fine (just need the ribbon cable).

                At least that is what I seem to recall as it has been about 20 years since I touched my old Model I.

                __,_._

                Message 7 of 10 , Jul 25, 2014
                  > It sounds like you're missing the ribbon cable from the CPU (keyboard)
                  > to the EI. As for the DIN cable, if memory serves, that is just the
                  > normal power supply relocated to inside the EI for convenience. I may be
                  > misunderstanding something, but you should be able to use your other CPU
                  > just fine (just need the ribbon cable).
                  >
                  > At least that is what I seem to recall as it has been about 20 years
                  > since I touched my old Model I.

                  Hi John.

                  Looks like you only posted here once, back in February ... please
                  introduce yourself. How you found our group, what your background in
                  computing is, where you live, etc.

                  Having some idea of who we're talking to goes a long way toward what
                  makes this group so awesome.
                • mwillega
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jul 26, 2014
                    One of the common problems with the model 1 is the wiring between the circuit boards in the main chassis.  Try reflowing the solder on each of those joints.  I've heard some people replace the solid core wire that was originally used with multi strand ribbon cable.

                    regards,
                    Mike W.
                  • Al Hartman
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jul 26, 2014
                      Nope, not missing any cables.

                      The TRS-80 Model I had several revisions to try to correct a problem with
                      RAM errors in the Expansion Interface.

                      I don't remember what order they came in, but I believe it's...

                      1. Original release that tried to use a straight cable, but noise over the
                      cable caused errors in accessing the RAM in the E/I.

                      2. A buffer box on the cable was an attempt to clean up and strengthen the
                      signals to and from the E/I.

                      3. A buffer box AND a shielded DIN cable that sent the memory timing signals
                      from the Model I keyboard to the E/I. This is the unit I rescued.

                      4. A redesigned E/I that generated the memory timing signals inside the E/I
                      and didn't rely on the signals sent through the flat cable.

                      You can't mix and match a DIN cable E/I with a non DIN cable keyboard unit.
                      And a buffer box unit can't be used with a straight cable as a no-connect on
                      the expansion bus is modified with 5v to power the buffer box. It would
                      damage the keyboard unit to try to use it.

                      We think a latch in the video section is bad, as instead of text, I see
                      graphics characters. I have to dig out the schematic, see which latch choose
                      the character generator ove the graphics characters and replace it. We tried
                      to type "CLOAD" to try to hear the cassette relay click to see if the system
                      was working that much, but pressing the "A" key produced no characters. Once
                      I get the rest of the system working, I'll work on the keyboard.

                      The Model III is working with one drive, but they keyboard isn't working
                      right. Many keys do not work. Unfortunately, this key board is the model
                      where you have to desolder the station, take it apart, clean it and resolder
                      it again. A big job to fix it.

                      -[ Al ]-

                      Posted by: "John Ruschmeyer" jruschme@... jruschme