new member introduction - Doug W.

  • dwhite21787
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 21, 2014
      Hello!

      I'm Doug White, recently dubbed "Doug W." to allay confusion of Dougs.

      I live in Taneytown, MD, and work in Gaithersburg, MD. As a kid in the '60's, my dad brought home reams of wide fanfold computer paper for us to color on. I would flip it over to the "used" side and read the COBOL. (my parents thought TV rotted the mind. No, it was COBOL.) I had access to Apples and IBM PCs in the early 80's, and dad got a Timex/Sinclair that he let me program. I still have some of my code on tapes - which is an ulterior motive for my recent question about cassettes...

      I was an IBM PC-XT-AT-RT user, as well as a Mac user up to System 7. Then I went Unix/Linux (IBM, Sun, SGI) until Mac OS X came out, and went gleefully back. I've since become jaded about Apple, and am back on Linux.

      I currently am a glorified pack rat running the National Software Reference Library at NIST. National Software Reference Library

        While we do have some older hardware (Apple //e, Mac Classic, IBM AT clone, Nintendo console, etc.) it is not for everyday use in our workflow. We are more focussed on the software, primarily as a support for law enforcement, but more recently as a resource for archivists and computer historians.  NIST, Stanford Collaborate to Catalog Early Microcomputing Software Data

      I have been aware of MARCH, and some other east coast groups, and am finally at the point where I feel like I can contribute to your efforts. I hope I can!

      Doug W.

    • hornbetw
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 21, 2014
        Welcome Aboard!  I was just down at the Robot Test Facility 2 weeks ago to beat up one of my company's robots.

        Tom H.