Few photos HOPE X

  • billdeg
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 20, 2014

      A handful of photos from the HOPE X convention. Most of MARCH is still there today.  There was a steady flow of visitors to MARCH's Apple timeline exhibit.

    • s100doctor
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 20, 2014

        Bill Degnan's photos:

        A handful of photos from the HOPE X convention.

        One of his photos shows an Apple II running "The Oregon Trail". I've seen that game in many forms over the years, and came to learn it's been a computer game going back decades and through to the present day. Google led me to "The Learning Company" Web site for a history of the game at "oregontrail.com"

         www  .oregontrail.com/hmh/site/oregontrail/articles?article=2240&categoryname=fanfare

        Unfortunately, all the Web "coverage" of the game, is about the development of the game. I had to dig deeper to find out how so much detail about the Trail was available to be 'gamed".

        What is likely a key set of documentation, is a 1939 written work, produced by the US government under Great Depression work-projects, called "The Oregon trail; the Missouri River to the Pacific Ocean; compiled and written by the Federal Writers' Project of the Works Progress Administration ([c1939])" A copy is available under archive.org and may be available as a printed book.

        Point being, it was the large amount of scholarship available about the Oregon Trail, that provided both rich and factual detail from which to construct a game that was also educational. Part of early personal computing was the efforts of educators to bring information and interactivity to the masses. The earliest implementation of the game was on timeshared BASIC on an HP system, before "microcomputers".

        Herb Johnson

      • urrossum@att.net
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 21, 2014
          Thanks Herb for all that information!  I was able to locate and download a copy of the original 1939 Book, just where you said it would be.  I also found a copy of the original 1975 HP-2000 BASIC program listing, which I've captured and am now going to try to load onto my SIMH Access system.
          ~~
          Mark Moulding
        • billdeg
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 21, 2014
          • Jeffrey Brace
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 25, 2014
              Bill Degnan,

              Here are my pictures: https://imageshack.com/a/eKgz/1

              Bill feel free to upload to your vintagecomputer site!

              Jeff Brace