old-computers.com Status

  • chetwyndplace
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 9, 2014
      Just wondering, is http://old-computers.com/forum now an abandoned forum?

      I tried to register, but didn't get any response.

      I'm glad that this forum is so active, and really enjoy the conversations!

      -AJ

      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 9, 2014
        >> Just wondering, is http://old-computers.com/forum now an abandoned forum?

        That forum never had any traction in the first place. I posted a handful of times over the years but I don't know anyone who regularly used it. Seems like just a few folks in Europe.

        The classiccmp list and the forum at vintage-computer.com are where the action is.

        MARCH's list was only intended to be for club matters and regional topics. People naturally started using it for wider subjects. That's fine but we are not interested in challenging the status quo of the two big options.
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 9, 2014
          On 07/09/2014 08:46 AM, Evan Koblentz evan@... [midatlanticretro]
          wrote:
          > That forum never had any traction in the first place. I posted a handful
          > of times over the years but I don't know anyone who regularly used it.
          > Seems like just a few folks in Europe.
          >
          > The classiccmp list and the forum at vintage-computer.com
          > <http://vintage-computer.com> are where the action is.
          >
          > MARCH's list was only intended to be for club matters and regional
          > topics. People naturally started using it for wider subjects. That's
          > fine but we are not interested in challenging the status quo of the two
          > big options.

          Mailing lists are communities, and communities change over time. A
          number of people on this list are here taking refuge from the cesspool
          of utter cluelessness that is the classiccmp list. (that's one of the
          reasons I'm here, in particular, though not the only reason)

          Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
          New Kensington, PA
        • billdeg
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 9, 2014
            Take a look some time at the first twenty or so messages from this group.  A lot of the same core people are still here...Back then I remember discussions about the IBM PC as "too new" to be on topic. ha.

            Anyway you have to give Evan a lot of the credit for making this a community.

            Total subject change...I am heading out to the shed to inventory my teletypes parts for SALE... mostly ASR-33 stuff.....stand by!

            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 9, 2014
              >> A number of people on this list are here taking refuge from the cesspool of utter cluelessness that is the classiccmp list

              True. But we still have the regional focus. If the refugees ever became
              the majority here, but they didn't * live * here, then we'd have to make
              some changes.

              Anyway -- not an issue now and probably not anytime soon.

              >> (that's one of the reasons I'm here, in particular, though not the only reason)

              I thought it was for the wine and caviar.
              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 9, 2014
                On 07/09/2014 02:36 PM, Evan Koblentz evan@... [midatlanticretro]
                wrote:
                >>> A number of people on this list are here taking refuge from the cesspool of utter cluelessness that is the classiccmp list
                >
                > True. But we still have the regional focus. If the refugees ever became
                > the majority here, but they didn't * live * here, then we'd have to make
                > some changes.
                >
                > Anyway -- not an issue now and probably not anytime soon.

                True, and true. But it is a damn good community here, either way.

                >>> (that's one of the reasons I'm here, in particular, though not the only reason)
                >
                > I thought it was for the wine and caviar.

                That too! ;)

                Dave McGuire, AK4HZ/3
                New Kensington, PA
              • Tim
                Message 7 of 7 , Jul 9, 2014
                  I am not taking refuge.  I just don't like all the BS that goes on there.