Wide format scanner

  • Mike Loewen
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 7, 2014
      Does anyone on the list have access to a wide format scanner (at least
      27")? I found someone with print sets from an ancient computer that I
      might try to get scanned. Our campus Engineering Copy Center charges
      $2.00 per sheet.

      Mike Loewen mloewen@...
    • Wesley Furr
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 7, 2014
        Mike,

        We have a blueprint scanner at work that probably could do the job...I would
        have to check to be sure...also to see what format(s) it can scan to. It's
        an older model that went with a printer, but the printer is dead and gone.
        The other issue is that I'm in VA, so it would require shipping...

        Wesley

        Does anyone on the list have access to a wide format scanner (at least
        27")? I found someone with print sets from an ancient computer that I might
        try to get scanned. Our campus Engineering Copy Center charges $2.00 per
        sheet.

        Mike Loewen mloewen@...
      • mwillega
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 8, 2014
          Mike,

          Quality digital cameras are pretty amazing these days.  You can get decent scan like images of large or awkward items, if you use a good tripod in a properly lit environment.  Easiest way to get decent lighting is to find a room with some north facing windows, which, in the daytime, will provide nice, even, indirect lighting with no glare or other issues coming into play.  With the tripod, you can get repeatable results for each image.  No need to bother with a flash or other add on lighting, either.

          Only issue is that some camera lenses exhibit distortion near the edges of the field of view.  You can either leave plenty of space around the object to crop out this distortion or use photoshop or similar photo editing software to correct it.

          regards,
          Mike W.