Too Many Games

  • billdeg
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 30, 2014

      Visited Too Many Games this weekend with my son and his friend.  It's a huge event near Philadelphia in Valley Forge.

      https://www.facebook.com/tmgexpo

      It's a well-run event every year, I have been about 4 or 5 times in the past 10 years.  I did not see any MARCHins, but I assume some of you went.  I will post some pics and video when I get the chance. Picked up a Famicom BASIC keyboard, met with some new gaming programmers (C# Unity platform coders and some Java), hung out at the music performances.  My son came in 2nd place in the Pokemon tournament.  Magic the Gathering people....lots of vendors...Hard to describe fully, "too many games" kind of sums it up.  Lots of nice people, some vintage computers as well.

      Bill

    • Bill Loguidice
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 30, 2014
        I was there with my family. I suppose if you were into the seminars or tournaments you might have gotten more value out of it, but in speaking with others who have been there before, there were fewer vendors with a bit lower quality than before charging higher prices, and far fewer arcade machines to play (I understand their usual vendor pulled out). For $25 for adult admission for just Saturday, I can't really say the value was there. We went through the vendor area twice and played a few arcade games, and pretty much had it at the two hour mark and left. Hopefully they can rally for next year.

        -Bill

        Bill Loguidice, Managing Director; Armchair Arcade, Inc.

        Authored Books and
        Film; About me and other ways to get in touch

        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 30, 2014
          Yes, it's evolving into a gaming as well as music performance thing, chip tunes, modern independent gaming hackers.  Less old-school / vintage.  The seminars were OK.  We were there for 4.5 hours and could have stayed longer but had other event later that day.  I did not go there to buy vintage stuff, although I did pick up the Nintendo Famicom keyboard.

          I spent a lot of learning how modern programmers write game code, integrate with music, and how the market works, etc.  I was not wearing my vintage computer guy hat as much.

          Bill
        • telmnstr
          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 30, 2014
            > Yes, it's evolving into a gaming as well as music performance thing,
            > chip tunes, modern independent gaming hackers. Less old-school /
            > vintage. The seminars were OK. We were there for 4.5 hours and could

            Hello.

            I am involved with an event called MAGFest. There is some vintage
            computing interest.

            Two Apple II machines I picked up that were mentioned on this list made it
            this year, along with two IIGS systems, Atari 8 bit and C64. Coco2 maybe.

            It will probably expand this year. I've got some friends that might bring
            a larger layout. One of the guys who ran it for 8 years writes chiptunes,
            and owns a huge stash of micros including MSXes and Japanses / Euro
            micros.

            24 hour event, could hit 15,000+ attendees next year.

            Jan 22nd (Fri thru Monday)

            I head the arcade. We have over 200 machines come, tons of classics. We've
            had both Pong and Computer Space machines in the past.
          • billdeg
            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 30, 2014
              We've narrowed MagFest down to being on Earth.  Cleveland or what?
            • David Riley
              Message 6 of 11 , Jun 30, 2014
                On Jun 30, 2014, at 12:38, billdeg <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                We've narrowed MagFest down to being on Earth.  Cleveland or what?

                Usually DC/NoVa area. It's a fun time, both for music and games.

                - Dave
              • billdeg
                Message 7 of 11 , Jun 30, 2014
                  great, keep me posted I will try to go.
                • telmnstr
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jun 30, 2014
                    > We've narrowed MagFest down to being on Earth. Cleveland or what?

                    Hah sorry.

                    Gaylord @ National Harbor, which is in Maryland right off of the DC
                    beltway.
                  • telmnstr
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jun 30, 2014
                      > great, keep me posted I will try to go.

                      Sure. And if MARCH wants space in the arcade room (it should be 20,000+
                      sqft again like year before last.)

                      Full on planning hasn't started yet, but MAGStock just ended yesterday so
                      I'm in gear to start planning the next prime Magfest!!!
                    • arkaxow
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jun 30, 2014
                        I had actually forgotten about this event. I had gone last year, but didn't keep track of when it was this year.

                        Glad you had fun! :)

                        Jeff Brace
                      • billdeg
                        Message 11 of 11 , Jul 1, 2014
                          did you ever get the shelves?  pictures?  I just set up a cool new workspace for audio/video/oscilloscope work.