Re: Bringing up old topics... And a new one too.

  • John
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 25, 2005
      Personally, I prefer "Computing." It's good to have a verb in the
      name. It's more active. "Retro Computer Hobbyists" makes us sound
      like a bunch of obsessive nerds who collect old computers,
      whereas "Retro Computing Hobbyists" makes us sound like a bunch of
      obsessive nerds who *do* things with old computers. Much better. :)

      -John

      --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "Evan" <evan947@y...> wrote:

      > I always thought it was Mid-Atlantic Retro "Computing" Hobbyists.
      But
      > tonight I saw it listed on our under-construction new web site as
      > "Computer".
      >
      > Now that we have many more members (a whopping 67, LOL, how did THAT
      > happen!?), I'd like to hear new and fresh opinions on this detail
      of our
      > name. Should it be "Computing" or "Computer"...?
    • Evan
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 25, 2005
        LOL, I agree with the "do" part, but either way "a bunch of obsessive nerds" is right on the mark!

        Personally, I prefer "Computing."  It's good to have a verb in the
        name.  It's more active.  "Retro Computer Hobbyists" makes us sound
        like a bunch of obsessive nerds who collect old computers,
        whereas "Retro Computing Hobbyists" makes us sound like a bunch of
        obsessive nerds who *do* things with old computers.  Much better.  :)

        -John

        --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "Evan" <evan947@y...> wrote:

        > I always thought it was Mid-Atlantic
        Retro "Computing" Hobbyists.
        But
        > tonight I saw it listed on
        our under-construction new web site as
        > "Computer".
        >
        > Now
        that we have many more members (a whopping 67, LOL, how did THAT

        happen!?), I'd like to hear new and fresh opinions on this detail
        of our
        > name.  Should it be "Computing" or
        "Computer"...?

      • BOYD BORRILL
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 25, 2005
          Evan, I vote for "Computer" because it is not restrictive, while "computing"
           assumes some acctivity that (by definition) must produce something.  Now take me for example, I don't write programs and I no longer have any place to actually work on hardware, but I am interested in every aspect of computers, often write about them, read about them, go to where they will be on display and on and on and on -----
          Ray
          Evan <evan947@...> wrote:
          Hi again, MARCHers.

          Here are the old topics:

          1. Back in the pre-historic days (I mean early this year before we had the
          Yahoo group) the initial four or five of us discussed via direct email what
          the name of the club should be.  And thus MARCH was born.

          I always thought it was Mid-Atlantic Retro "Computing" Hobbyists.  But
          tonight I saw it listed on our under-construction new web site as
          "Computer".

          Now that we have many more members (a whopping 67, LOL, how did THAT
          happen!?), I'd like to hear new and fresh opinions on this detail of our
          name.  Should it be "Computing" or "Computer"...?

          [The rest of the name and acronym itself aren't up for discussion, unless
          someone at some point in the future happens to think of something absolutely
          brilliant, in which I'll say "hey, I'm open-minded you know" and then
          probably take credit for it. :)  ]

          2. There are not yet any responses to my call for a volunteer to run the
          club's public outreach.  So I guess that means yours truly will continue
          doing it.  Goal #1 on my list is arranging a time for us to visit with the
          Infoage museum folks (see prior list messages about that) so that we might
          plan a club museum.

          New topic: MARCHer of the Month Award!  Someone suggested this recently
          although I totally am spacing out trying to remember who it was.  Anyway, I
          think that's a super idea.

          So I'll make this retroactive to our humble beginnings in January 2005.

          January 2005: Andy Meyer.  Andy is the guy responsible for dreaming up this
          club's existence.  Without his idea, the rest of us wouldn't be reading this
          email.  In fact, WAY BACK in June 2004, he posted a message to
          http://www.vintage-computer.com/vcforum with the remarkable subject line
          "Where my Jersey boyz at?" and the even more sophisticated message text
          "Hey, yo... anybody near Scotch Plains?", to which I replied.

          February 2005: TCF added us to their web site, which was a tremendous boost
          for our nascent organization.  It was TCF's Erik Wendt and also the show's
          webmaster (I forget his name) who were responsible for this.  So the award
          for February is an honorary one to the TCF staff in general for welcoming us
          in and spreading the word.

          March 2005: Holy cow, March was an incredibly busy month.  But one person
          who seemed almost invisible from our Yahoo group discussions was David
          Gesswein.  Why?  Because he was too busy preparing his DEC PDP-8/e for the
          TCF show.  That turned out to be the coolest, most attention-grabbing part
          of our exhibit.  I mean, as neat as all of the microcomputer stuff is,
          you're not a REAL vintage tech club until you have some big iron!

          April 2005: A three-way tie between Herb Johnson (the honorary member who
          funded our domain name purchase), David Corbin (who's providing the server
          hosting), and John Allain (our volunteer webmaster).

          I'll be looking for nominations in the future.

          - Evan

          Evan Koblentz's personal homepage: www.snarc.net

          - 700 readers and no spam / Publishes every Monday / Write for us!
          - W: http://news.computercollector.com  E: news@...

          Pioneer Purveyor of Personal Processing Power
        • Chris M
          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 25, 2005
            Computer puts emphasis on the machines, computing on some sort of activity.

            Evan <evan947@...> wrote:
[...]

            http://mail.yahoo.com

          • David V. Corbin
            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 25, 2005

              All,

              I think I may be the one who introduced “Computer” rather than “Computing”. Actually I prefer the latter. Running OS/8 [PDP PDP-8 O/S] on an emulator qualifies as retro-computing. Studing documentation/histories/personal stories [IMHO] qualifies also.

              At least I corrected the type where I had it as Mid-Atlantic-Micro-Computing….Me BAD, but all better now.

              David

              Ps: I know I promised to put the link to the yahoo groups on the page. Hopefully within 24 hours….

              Message 6 of 10 , Apr 26, 2005
                Hi,

                I enjoy collecting also, but I'm not an active member here. I had a comment about the term 'Retro' which I've seen this used elsewhere with other activities such as gaming. The computer collecting has more of a historical significance which the term 'Classic' or 'Vintage' usually implies (as in classic muscle cars, not retro muscle cars). By this I mean , as being viewed by someone outside the classic computer community to which this is being promoted. The term 'retro' usually has a connotation that this is some sort of fad which isn't taken seriously.

                Dan

                [ My Corner of Cyberspace               Pittsburgh Robotics Society ]
                [ http://ragooman.home.comcast.net/     http://www.pghrobotics.org/ ]
                [                                Got Robot ?                        ]

                Message 7 of 10 , Apr 26, 2005
                  Maybe, but have you ever tried prouncining "MAVCH"...?

                  I think people "get" what we're about well enough.

                  Message 8 of 10 , Apr 26, 2005
                    Evan wrote:
                    > Maybe, but have you ever tried prouncining "MAVCH"...?

                    This would be the Roman spelling....

                    Cheers,

                    Bryan Pope
                  • us21090
                    Message 9 of 10 , Apr 26, 2005
                      I definitely prefer "MARCH" over "ABOON" (see earlier post below).

                      So maybe you guys suggesting an augmentation:

                      "MARCH (ABOON)" or
                      "MARCH, A BOON to Retro/Vintage/Classic Computing" ???

                      Hey, TCF was a lot of fun. I had the KIM-1 and ADM3a tabled next to
                      Evan. My boys had a good time, too. Esp, the old game systems
                      (surprised?).

                      Next time we meet or show, I hope to have the KIM-1 talking over
                      RS-232 to a laptop and/or ADM. I also hope to show a nice
                      juxtaposition of a IPod as the program storage for the KIM-1!

                      Scott Austin

                      P.S. I vote for "Computing"