Hope Conference (was CP/M 2.2 Boot Disk for iCOM / NYC Exhibit?)

    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 25, 2006
      Friday - Sunday event, July 21-23, at a hotel in Manhattan. The panel Sellam will be speaking happens on Saturday

      HOPE Six Conference
      http://www.hopenumbersix.net

      One suggestion for newbies at an event like this...don't use wireless to connect to the Internet unless you know what you're doing   :-)

      Given the hacker meaning of "2600", we may want to bring an Atari 2600 for this event for our exhibit.

      Bill D

      At 05:43 PM 6/25/2006 -0400, you wrote:

      Bill:

                  Thanks a lot. Here s my address:

                  Richard Cini

                  39 Kathleen Drive East

                  Syosset, NY 11791

                  Not to sound stupid, but what event in NYC?

      Rich

      Rich Cini

      Collector of classic computers

      Lead engineer, Altair32 Emulator

      Web site: http://highgate.comm.sfu.ca/~rcini/classiccmp/

      Web site: http://www.altair32.com/

      /***************************************************/

      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 25, 2006
        I think we'll only go for Saturday.  Arrive early, leave late.  The show won't have enough people traffic to warrant us being there the whole time, the organizers aren't giving me any good answers about overnight security, and who wants to pay NYC hotel prices anyway?

        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 26, 2006

          > Friday - Sunday event, July 21-23, at a hotel in Manhattan. The panel
          > Sellam will be speaking happens on Saturday
          >
          > HOPE Six Conference
          > http://www.hopenumbersix.net
          >
          > Bill D

          > >A thought - I will be going to the NYC event in July (date?). I can
          also
          > >bring an Altair or two, if you want to collaborate on an exhibit. The
          > >exhibit can be called "Bill and Rich test their equipment and
          pretend it's
          > >an exhibit about Altairs and iCOM drives" I also have an ADM-3A
          terminal
          > >and a Zenith that both work, plus a lot of 5 1/4" hard-sectored
          Micropolis
          > >drive software for the IMSAI 8080.
          > >
          > >Bill Degnan

          This is an excellent idea!

          Bill, I glanced at the Hope Six Web /2600 Web page. My sense is that
          the angle to play on an IMSAI/Altair exhibit for these folks is this.
          These systems were intended by design to be "hackable" in the modern
          sense, because that was the only way to use them!There was little or
          NO software when they were produced, almost none when they were
          announced. The 2600 folks might like to know about the time in
          personal computing when intellectual rights vs. right to use and
          develop came about. With the Altair, you had Bill Gates' first
          software product - 8K BASIC on paper tape, and his published caution
          not to copy it. And you also have Digital Research and their
          right-to-migrate license for their OS, CP/M - complete with the tools
          needed to do just that.

          So I suggest you bring a set of DRI CP/M 2.2 manuals, maybe post a
          copy of the terms of use if appropriate. Of course a bootable CP/M
          would be ideal, especially on an ADM-3A terminal. Contact me privately
          if you need any hardware or manuals. I'm reluctant to loan out MY
          Microsoft BASIC paper tape, but I could photograph it!

          Also, I suggest that MARCH come up with a one-page flyer for the club,
          to distribute at the convention. A bit of who-we-are, link to the
          site, list of events past and upcoming, the association with InfoAge
          of course. Today's hacker community has an interest in preserving
          computing before DRM locked up not only software and hardware, but
          even documentation and media. To know where things are going, you need
          to know where they've been!

          Herb Johnson

          PS: my private email address is encoded below. If you use the "yahoo"
          email address for this message I probably won't see it.

          Herbert R. Johnson, New Jersey USA
        • M. Frank

              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 27, 2006
                Link works fine for me.