RE: [midatlanticretro] Another weekend, another cool MARCH exhibit

    Message 1 of 14 , Jun 22, 2006
      I haven't heard back from the organizers.  Will try reaching them again today.

      Message 2 of 14 , Jun 22, 2006
        Hi all,

        I haven't heard back yet from the HOPE organizers about security, but the more I think about, the more I think we should just go for one of the three days (Saturday, which is the day of Sellam's panel)... this way we won't have to worry about security (since we can always have one or two people at the booth while others explore the show), nor will we have to spend $145 per person for rooms in the hotel (personally, I don't want to spend that much)... so this is the best solution I could think of.

        The people who volunteered are Bill Degnan, Kelly Leavitt, and Bill Sudbrink, in addition to myself.  Anyone else?  Let me know your plans as soon as possible.  Seriously!

        As I wrote in the original message, what I think we should do is meet up someplace central and convenient here in NJ, and then all travel together in a rented full-sized van.  (I called the hotel and they said a full-size van is the largest vehicle they can handle in the parking garage -- no box trucks allowed.)

        I propose that our meeting place should be Metropark.  It's a major Amtrak station in Iselin, NJ., so people can arrive from far and wide.  Those who drive in can safely park for just two dollars (can't beat that!), and MARCH will fund the rental cost of a large van.  Then it's just a short drive (about 45-60 minutes) into Manhattan, depending on traffic.

        We could possibly rent two vans (or two SUVs, or whatever's necessary) if more people volunteer.  Or we could bring the equipment in a van and the remaining people in someone's car.

        Feedback is welcome; more volunteers are urged!

        - Evan

        Message 3 of 14 , Jun 22, 2006
          I like the one day exhibit idea.

          Please define the total space for our group, so that we can determine
          what fraction each person will be allocated and the max number of
          possible persons who can get involved. Who will the audience be?
          Are we are expected to have working systems (and if so will there
          be power?).

          Once we summarize the conditions, we should set a deadline to signup
          so that we can plan our exhibits based on the space/power/etc.

          Bill

          -- E N D --
        • Sridhar Ayengar
          Message 4 of 14 , Jun 22, 2006
            Evan Koblentz wrote:
            > Hi all,
            >
            > I haven't heard back yet from the HOPE organizers about security, but
            > the more I think about, the more I think we should just go for one of
            > the three days (Saturday, which is the day of Sellam's panel)... this
            > way we won't have to worry about security (since we can always have one
            > or two people at the booth while others explore the show), nor will we
            > have to spend $145 per person for rooms in the hotel (personally, I
            > don't want to spend that much)... so this is the best solution I could
            > think of.
            >
            > The people who volunteered are Bill Degnan, Kelly Leavitt, and Bill
            > Sudbrink, in addition to myself. Anyone else? Let me know your plans
            > as soon as possible. Seriously!
            >
            > As I wrote in the original message, what I think we should do is meet up
            > someplace central and convenient here in NJ, and then all travel
            > together in a rented full-sized van. (I called the hotel and they said
            > a full-size van is the largest vehicle they can handle in the parking
            > garage -- no box trucks allowed.)
            >
            > I propose that our meeting place should be Metropark. It's a major
            > Amtrak station in Iselin, NJ., so people can arrive from far and wide.
            > Those who drive in can safely park for just two dollars (can't beat
            > that!), and MARCH will fund the rental cost of a large van. Then it's
            > just a short drive (about 45-60 minutes) into Manhattan, depending on
            > traffic.
            >
            > We could possibly rent two vans (or two SUVs, or whatever's necessary)
            > if more people volunteer. Or we could bring the equipment in a van and
            > the remaining people in someone's car.
            >
            > Feedback is welcome; more volunteers are urged!

            I wouldn't mind coming. I could bring a Sol-20. Or maybe a VAXstation.

            Peace... Sridhar
          • Sellam Ismail
            Message 5 of 14 , Jun 22, 2006
              On Thu, 22 Jun 2006, B Degnan wrote:

              > I like the one day exhibit idea.
              >
              > Please define the total space for our group, so that we can determine
              > what fraction each person will be allocated and the max number of
              > possible persons who can get involved. Who will the audience be?
              > Are we are expected to have working systems (and if so will there
              > be power?).

              Bill,

              Although I've never been to this event, the audience will likely be a mix
              of hackers, phreakers, and other similar miscreants, ranging in age from
              early teens to late 50s, mostly men, and the majority of them probably
              scraggly, nerdly, smelly, and unkempt...kind of like a VCF :)

              I think the display will be much more successful if the computers are
              working.

              I still don't know the exact time and date of the panel. Hopefully it's
              Saturday as we requested. The HOPE speaker committee promised to get back
              to us by tomorrow with the schedule.

              --

              Sellam Ismail Vintage Computer Festival