important HOPE update

    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 19, 2014
      Good afternoon MARCHins.

      A few of us discussed alternative HOPE ideas at last weekend's workshop.
      We came up with a few ideas, but they would mostly require more
      effort/coordination than we care to exert at this point. So, we're
      sticking with the very easy idea: "Early Apple".

      We know that HOPE travel is always an issue because it's in midtown New
      York. I booked a room with two beds and presumably some floor space, and
      I announced here that we can all split the cost divided by how many
      people share it. Justin kindly suggested that MARCH should just cover
      the room bill. At first I told him that's not necessary, but .... what
      the heck, let's do it. :) Ian and I have dibs on the beds; all are
      welcome to bring sleeping bags or whatever (depending on space).... keep
      in mind that HOPE offers a popular hammocks area, so if necessary
      MARCHins could sleep there and use the shower in our room upstairs.

      Anyway: who's bringing what? Here is where it stands:

      Me - Mimeo, Apple II, possibly the Lisa 2 (Bill Deg. could bring his,
      but he's only going to be there on Saturday), Mac 128K .... I'm also
      bringing the MARCH banner and some exhibit posters.

      Sridhar - //c+

      Mouse - Mac Portable

      Ian - II clones

      II+, //e, IIgs -- ????

      We're going to have four 8-ft. tables (not counting a fifth table for
      Emmanuel's Z-100) so there will be plenty of space.

      The list about is eight computers. Three will fit comfortably on each table.

      Ian: that leaves space for three clones of your choosing. Franklin,
      Laser, Bell & Howell would be good choices. I'm quite confident we can
      get an extra table if you want to pick three additional clones that are
      more obscure and/or we can squeeze four computers onto each table).
    • dougmemphis
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 19, 2014
        I'm toying with coming along.  If I do,
        I can offer these other Mac items:

        - SE/30
        - LCII with a working Apple IIe card...
        - Powerbook 150
        - G3 iBook Clamshell, complete with Netscape navigator!
        - 17" iMac G4 that might be of interest to this audience.
          It has the classic environment installed but I have never used it.

        The LCII emulator demos well and ties it to the early 6502 era machines.
        Pretty cool how you can control the apple II environment in the MAC.
        If the LCII is the ticket, I'll look for some good Apple II software to show with it it. What I have now is pretty lame.  Any suggestions on software titles?
      • Wesley Furr
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 19, 2014
          When I was in middle school (this will date me!), one of the nicer computer class labs was full of IIgs's with three LC's (original LC, not LCII or later) with IIe cards...I pretty much always claimed one of the LC's.  Other than going hunting, Oregon trail was great to plan at double the speed.  :-)  Then there was a general lab full of LC's for typing up papers or whatever...they had one machine in the corner than had an external drive and dual internal floppies...I always thought that was cool.  I've got a pair of LC's here now that I just need to finish the re-capping to get them going again...they've been DE-capped...but it's the RE part that is more challenging...and I haven't found the time yet.  Ultimately, I want one with dual internal floppies and dual 5.25 floppies on the IIe card...should have everything here to make that happen!  Then if I can get this SCSI to IDE adapter I have here to work with it connected to a CF card adapter, I will really be happy.

          Yeah, I know...lame stuff compared to the truly vintage stuff most of you guys work with.

          As for software suggestions...the popular ones in the 5th grade classroom back in the day were Oregon Trail, Where in the World/USA is Carmen Sandiego, and then the EPYX Summer/Winter Games.

          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 19, 2014
            >> I'm toying with coming along.  If I do,
            I can offer these other Mac items

            You're welcome to go with us, but there is only so much table space, so we probably won't show anything newer than the Portable.
          • dougmemphis
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 20, 2014
              Very well!  Thanks.
              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 1 11:49 PM
                > We're going to have four 8-ft. tables (not counting a fifth table for
                > Emmanuel's Z-100) so there will be plenty of space.
                >
                > The list about is eight computers. Three will fit comfortably on each
                > table.
                >
                > Ian: that leaves space for three clones of your choosing. Franklin,
                > Laser, Bell & Howell would be good choices. I'm quite confident we can
                > get an extra table if you want to pick three additional clones that are
                > more obscure and/or we can squeeze four computers onto each table).

                Update .... Emmanuel prefers that we work on his computer and disks in
                the privacy of MARCH (i.e. back at the museum and such), not in public
                at HOPE. We respect his decision.

                That means all five tables will be available for our Apple demo.