RE: [midatlanticretro] Lisa to a good home

  • Chris M
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 24 2:19 PM
      Im not bowing out...Id love the challenge! But
      apparently Jim has been overwhelmed with responses.
      Havent heard from him *wink wink nudge nudge*
      --- midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com
      <evan947@...> wrote:
      > Wow, I humbly bow out of contention for this one.
      Requires far more work
      > than I'm capable of right now.
      >
      > However I can offer better driving directions. LOL,
      I have a good friend in
      > the same area Jim describes. (Jim: my friend's in
      Brookfield, where are
      > you?)
      >
      > _____

      Of Jim Scheef
      > Sent: Sunday, April 24, 2005 12:05 PM
      > To: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com
      > Subject: Re: [midatlanticretro] Lisa to a good home
      >

      > Hello everyone,
      >
      > I've had a surprising number of responses to my
      offer so here is more
      > information. I just took a look at the Lisa which
      has been hidden in my
      > basement, unmoved, for 10-12 years. It has one 3.5"
      floppy drive so it is
      > not
      > the original Lisa model. Beyond that, I have no idea
      as I do not remember
      > ever opening it up (although Chi-Chi's web site had
      some good clues). All I
      > saw just now was the main unit. The keyboard and
      mouse are somewhere, but I
      > will need to dig. No, I didn't turn it on - I'm not
      crazy. You can do that
      > after you clean, inside and out.
      >
      > Now, the following are my recollections (from 10-12
      years ago) of my first
      > (and last) testing of the Lisa: it did seem to boot
      and tried to display the
      > desktop but you could barely see it. The video was
      bad then, so you can
      > imagine what it's like now. Bad in this case means
      jittery and weak. This
      > thing is far from pristine; you should expect that
      mice have lived in it.
      > Have I made this sound grim enough? While someone
      might be able to resurrect
      > this thing, I truly doubt it. If you want this to
      start your Apple
      > collection
      > (as I did), then I suggest that you look for another
      machine in better
      > shape.
      > If you have several Lisas and need parts to fix or
      improve them, then this
      > might help.
      >
      > I live in western Connecticut, north of Danbury. It
      took me 3 1/2 hours to
      > get to TCF last weekend after allowing for the fact
      that I went to the wrong
      > location. Probable route from NJ - Jersy Tpk/I-95
      north over GW to I-287
      > west
      > to I-684 north to I-84 east to Rt. 7 north. There
      are variations, of course,
      > using the Tappan Zee. You might want a map.
      >
      > Jim
      >

      > --- Jim Scheef <jscheef@...> wrote:
      > > Bill's description of halting his Commodore
      project has convinced me that
      > > need to be more realistic about my collection. I
      will never be able to
      > make
      > > the Lisa work, but someone can probably use the
      parts to good advantage.
      > > Like
      > > the ADM 3A, the Lisa is free to a good home if you
      come and get it.

      > > There are probably other machines that I should
      give away as well. I need
      > > do an inventory.
      > >
      > > Jim
      > >

      > _____