Who wants an 11/44?

    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 2, 2014
      All,

      Your friendly MARCH board has decided to sell one of our two DEC PDP-11/44 systems to finance various transit costs of the better /44 that we're getting on June 14.

      Which of the current /44s is available, and at what amount, depends entirely on the offers we recieve.

      A few guidelines:

      1. Don't even think about negotiating in public. Email me privately and please cc: Bill Degnan.

      2. The tape unit in the museum, which came directly from the DEC museum via Vaxman, is off-limits.

      3. We're not looking for any trades.

      4. We are looking to move quickly; preference may be given to those who can pick it up June 14-15 or sooner.

      5. No, we can't deliver it.

      Matthew W.: please reply to this post ASAP with details of what's in the current museum system vs. what's in the other system in the warehouse.
    • Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 3, 2014
        "Evan Koblentz evan@... [midatlanticretro]" writes:

        >All,
        >
        >Your friendly MARCH board has decided to sell one of our two DEC PDP-11/44 systems to finance various transit costs of the better /44 that we're getting on June 14.
        >
        >Which of the current /44s is available, and at what amount, depends entirely on the offers we recieve.
        >
        >A few guidelines:
        >
        >1. Don't even think about negotiating in public. Email me privately and please cc: Bill Degnan.
        >
        >2. The tape unit in the museum, which came directly from the DEC museum via Vaxman, is off-limits.

        It had better be!!! ;)

        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 3, 2014
          >>> 2. The tape unit in the museum, which came directly from the DEC museum via Vaxman, is off-limits.

          >> It had better be!!! ;)

          Vaxman himself, however, is available. :)
        • Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 3, 2014

            >>> It had better be!!! ;)
            >
            >Vaxman himself, however, is available. :)

            But as a one-of-a-kind custom unit, I'm very pricey. ;)

          • tedheadster
            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 3, 2014
              ​Evan,
                my recollection of the PDP-11/44 is very simple.

              - Working CPU
              - Working console
              - RL11 controller

              It _might_ have a UDA-50 disk controller in it because the rack had an RA60 (SDI) disk. There was also an RA8X (SDI) series disk in the rack, but I cannot remember which model.

              We got it to boot Berkeley Unix 2.11 with a disk controller board I temporarily loaned for testing.

              - Matthew W

            • David Riley
              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 3, 2014
                There is a UDA50 controller in there with cables, and there are actually 3 SDI disks; two RA8x (my recollection is an 81 and an 82) and an RA60. We couldn't get either of the RA8x disks to power up without popping the breaker on the little generator we had to use at the time, and we didn't have any RA60 media at the time, so we had no idea how well those work. The UDA50 appeared to be responding to the proper address space, but beyond that we couldn't really test its operation.

                There is indeed an RL11 in there, with cables not connected to anything (presumably there's an RL01/02 or two somewhere that came with it, but not in the same rack). I don't remember how many cables were in there, but given how hard they are to come across these days, it's certainly worth having even one. I didn't see a terminator anywhere, but without any drives attached, that's hardly surprising.

                My recollection is that it had a decent amount of RAM, perhaps 512K? I seem to recall that there are also some additional serial controllers and a parallel card, but I might have dreamed one or both of those up.

                No floating point or commercial instruction set options on any of the 11/44s I've seen at MARCH.

                - Dave

                Message 7 of 7 , Jun 3, 2014
                  Thanks.

                  MARCHins: I'll look through my email tonight and find the description of the other /44 that we already have.