a 50v .1mF Cap is a 50v .1mF cap?

  • billdeg
    Message 1 of 50 , May 29, 2014
      Reading up about the difference between the cylinder aluminum electrolytic vs the film type

      http://www.nteinc.com/images3/caps/MLR.jpg
      vs
      http://www.tradesina.com/upimage/images/2011040862000937.JPG

      I have a disk drive power supply with the small type, can I replace with the cylinders?  Here is a pic, it's a Cromemco S-100 system "System One" power supply board.  The 12V to the disk drives is out.  I already replaced the LAS1412 think that was the problem originally, but that did not fix the problem.

      http://vintagecomputer.net/cromemco/system_one/Cromemco_S1_U2_LAS1412-12v.jpg

       (the two orange 105's)

      I know is that 105 = 10 with 5 zeros = 100,000 pF = .1 mF.

      From what I read, it seems like they're basically the same as long as I get the cylinder cap's polarity in the right direction....I have cylinder caps 50v .1mF, I'd have to order the film type.  Is it better to order and use what was there now?  It appears that we're going from a 16v LAS1412 voltage regulator through two .1mF caps to the 12V side.  There is no 12V so I am currently working with the theory that one of these two caps went bad.  I still have more testing to do, but I thought I'd ask.  I am only a hobbyist electronics guy, no formal training.

      thanks

      BIll

      Message 50 of 50 , Jun 5, 2014
        On 06/05/2014 04:16 PM, Sridhar Ayengar ploopster@...
        [midatlanticretro] wrote:
        > Cory Smelosky b4@... [midatlanticretro] wrote:
        >>> Same reason we all of the crazy assortment of tools, parts, etc. we
        >>> all have... :-)
        >>>

        >> Still don't know why we have >= 7 hammers here. We almost have a timeline
        >> of advances in hammer technology.
        >
        > I have more than that here. That's not actually that high of a number.
        > I have 3-4 regular claw-hammers of various ages and specs. I have a
        > tack-hammer. I have two sledge-hammers. A ball-peen hammer, a
        > cross-peen hammer. Two (three?) sledge-hammers. A few rubber mallets.
        > A geologist's hammer.

        How hangs the hammer?

        Dave McGuire, AK4HZ