Man with S100 and some ASRs

  • Christian Liendo
    Message 1 of 16 , May 28, 2014
      Just spoke to this gentleman. He is giving away some ASRs and an S100.

      He seems to have a lot of stuff

      http://longisland.craigslist.org/zip/4488749063.html
    • Mike Loewen
      Message 2 of 16 , May 28, 2014
        On Wed, 28 May 2014, Christian Liendo christian_liendo@... [midatlanticretro] wrote:

        > Just spoke to this gentleman. He is giving away some ASRs and an S100.
        >
        > He seems to have a lot of stuff
        >
        > http://longisland.craigslist.org/zip/4488749063.html

        Get a truck!

        Mike Loewen mloewen@...
      • Christian Liendo
        Message 3 of 16 , May 28, 2014
          ________________________________
          > From: "Mike Loewen mloewen@...
          >

          > Get a truck!

          Yea.. Or if you already have a nice sized van.
          Either way I don't have a car and even if I did, an ASR is to big for my apartment.
        • Systems Glitch
          Message 4 of 16 , May 28, 2014
            > Yea.. Or if you already have a nice sized van.
            > Either way I don't have a car and even if I did, an ASR is to big for my apartment.

            Somewhat interested, but that's a ways out on the island for me. Model 33s? Any info on the S-100 box?

            Thanks,
            Jonathan
          • Christian Liendo
            Message 5 of 16 , May 29, 2014
              Has anyone contacted this guy? Otherwise I want to post to classicCMP
            • Flash Corliss
              Message 6 of 16 , May 29, 2014

                Christian,

                I sent you an email…

                Thanks,

                Flash

                Message 7 of 16 , May 29, 2014
                  > Has anyone contacted this guy? Otherwise I want to post to classicCMP

                  I have. For clarity, some of the additional items he has are *not* free. Waiting to hear back on whether he's expecting eBay prices.

                  Thanks,
                  Jonathan
                • flashcorliss
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jun 1, 2014

                    I too called Allen (the guy with the ASRs), and arranged for a Friday pick up.

                    However, when I got on the island, all but the ASRs had already been removed.  I don't know who got what, or when - Allen made no mention of prior arrangements.

                    The S-100 was homebrew, with monitor and keyboard, that he had built himself.  Unsure of the OS.  Nice enough fellow.

                    He wants $100 each for the remaining ASR 19 and 28.  They are desk consoles and very heavy.  He suggested using a lift gate truck.  He said he would send pictures, but haven't received them yet.  Will post when I do.

                    Sorry Kyle.  I tried to get you your very own S-100 and ASR-33 (which he didn't have anyway).  Guess I was an hour too late (which I spent waiting to pay the toll on the bridge during rush hour).  Incidentally, I don't care for NY drivers.  They aren't very courteous...

                    Do keep me posted if you find another rescue and I'll bring the Freightliner.  We may want to coordinate a little better though.

                    Flash

                  • Mike Loewen
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jun 1, 2014
                      On Sun, 1 Jun 2014, flash@... [midatlanticretro] wrote:

                      > Do keep me posted if you find another rescue and I'll bring the
                      > Freightliner. We may want to coordinate a little better though.

                      That brings to mind a potential club resource topic:

                      1. How many list members have access to large trucks or vans, and might be
                      willing to assist in pickups or rescues?

                      2. Where are you located?

                      3. How far would you be willing to travel?

                      4. How large is your vehicle?

                      5. Are you able to temporarily store items, pending later pickup?

                      Mike Loewen mloewen@...
                    • retro
                      Message 10 of 16 , Jun 1, 2014
                        On 6/1/2014 12:12 PM, flash@... [midatlanticretro] wrote:
                        > I too called Allen (the guy with the ASRs), and arranged for a Friday
                        > pick up.
                        >

                        > However, when I got on the island, all but the ASRs had already been
                        > removed. I don't know who got what, or when - Allen made no mention of
                        > prior arrangements.

                        An old story even for me "....but some guy in a truck came by and got
                        all that other stuff...." Hope you got something for your trip.

                        > He wants $100 each for the remaining ASR 19 and 28. They are desk
                        > consoles and very heavy. He suggested using a lift gate truck. He said
                        > he would send pictures, but haven't received them yet. Will post when I do.

                        "heavy" is relative. The 28 and I think the 19 are Baudot 5-bit
                        machines. The 19 might possibly be a tape only printer - there were
                        models which printed on tape and not rolls of paper. Always worth
                        looking these up before committing.

                        Herb Johnson

                        --
                        Herbert R. Johnson
                        http://www.retrotechnology.com OR .net
                        Message 11 of 16 , Jun 1, 2014
                          I was planning on flying up to New Hampshire to pick up a Jetta Sportwagen that I had bought online over the weekend.  Kyle Owen (he is a member of this group) called me on Thursday and asked if I could do a rescue in NY during the same weekend.

                          I had helped him rescue PDP-8s in the past, so I figured I could detour on the way home as a favor.  He had been looking for an ASR-33 and an S-100 system for a while.

                          I have a Freightliner/Dodge/Mercedes Sprinter van that has at least a 4x8 ft floor, with 5 ft of height, with 2 of the 3 seats out.  I live in Atlanta, have driven over 12 hours in previous rescues, and just recently closed my self storage facilities (though I have been known to leave stuff in the truck for months).  I visited with a lot of you during the VCFE 9.1.  Good times.

                          I don't mind road trips, but diesel can be pricey.

                          Honestly, I feel this rescue could have been a little better orchestrated.  I would have avoided New York completely had I known the guy had made prior arrangements.  He said nothing, and neither did anyone in the group (I am assuming someone from the list did the rescue - it could have been the Kidney Foundation).

                          Better communication on future rescues would be helpful.

                          If you find something south of you, and the logistics make sense, let me or Kyle know.  I am not always available.

                          Thanks,
                          Flash

                          Message 12 of 16 , Jun 1, 2014
                            1969 Ford F600 flatbed in Troy, NY. 391 HD gasoline V8, so it sucks down fuel. No liftgate. 12 foot long bed, 10,000 LBS registered payload. Max speed (loaded *or* unloaded) 55 MPH.

                            Also, I should have the Jeep ready for hauling the 16 foot flat trailer soon. Low deck, no ramps yet though.

                            Thanks,
                            Jonathan
                          • Jason Howe
                            Message 13 of 16 , Jun 1, 2014
                              '81 Ford F100 Pickup in Rockaway NJ. 300 I6, sees almost 18mpg on the
                              highway. 8ft long bed with a cap (which comes off quite easily for tall
                              loads). It's a 1/2 ton (5000lb gvrw), but she's taken almost a full ton
                              on multiple occasions. Max speed -- I saw almost 80 on a downhill once
                              -- Will cruise nicely at 65 all day. Only a Class I hitch, haven't had
                              occasion to install a real hitch...yet.

                              Can tow a trailer with the Jeep, 3500LB limit, basically up to a 6x12
                              U-Haul trailer.

                              I'm willing to travel within about 2 hours of Rockaway, So
                              Eastern/Central PA, Southern NY, Most of Jersey on fairly short notice.
                              Need some notice for a longer trip.

                              This is a great idea.

                              --Jason

                              Message 14 of 16 , Jun 1, 2014
                                2004 Miata. Trunk is 5 cubic feet.

                                Sorry, couldn't resist. :)
                              • Mr Ian Primus
                                Message 15 of 16 , Jun 1, 2014
                                  2001 Chevy Venture minivan, near Schenectady NY. While not a truck, those that know me know just how much hardware I can Tetris into it. With it's rear seats removed, I can lay 4x8 sheets of plywood down, or move multiple racks at once. I have no idea what the actual weight capacity is supposed to be, but I'm positive I've overloaded it on multiple occasions (magtape is heavy).

                                  -Ian
                                • Dan Roganti
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Jun 1, 2014

                                    On Mon, Jun 2, 2014 at 12:02 AM, Mr Ian Primus ian_primus@... [midatlanticretro] <midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
                                    2001 Chevy Venture minivan, near Schenectady NY. While not a truck, those that know me know just how much hardware I can Tetris into it. With it's rear seats removed, I can lay 4x8 sheets of plywood down, or move multiple racks at once. I have no idea what the actual weight capacity is supposed to be, but I'm positive I've overloaded it on multiple occasions (magtape is heavy).

                                    -Ian

                                    ​and here's a pic to
                                    ​ prove it​ :)
                                    there's a minicomputer buried in there