RE: [midatlanticretro] Swap Meet Update?

    Message 1 of 14 , Jun 14, 2006
      I'll try to finalize an available date at the next InfoAge board meeting.  I now think we should have it a different day than the radio club's event.

      Are there any dates specifically NOT good for anyone?  I'll try my best to accomodate everyone.

      Message 2 of 14 , Jun 15, 2006

        > Is there an update on the swap meet date? I hope we can nail this
        down soon. - Bill

        I'm planning to attend and sell as well. Bill's post with list is a
        good idea; I'll see about posting a list of what I'll bring. In
        general, I thought I'd bring a bunch of SGI stuff and a little Sun
        stuff and Apple/Mac stuff. My preference is to bring the heavy items
        that cost something to ship. I'd appreciate encourgements on
        particular items (via this mail list) such as:

        SGI Indigo 2, Indigo, Octane (Octanes are about 50 lbs or more)
        SGI Indy (R5000's? R4400's?)
        really old Sun single boards like 3/ series?
        later Sun like SparcStations?

        Mac systems in boxes vs just the systems?
        Some of the all-in-one Macs? (with internal color monitors, heavy)
        Some of the 9-inch Macs (Plus, SE, Classic?)
        Mac LC, LC II, LC III - the little flat desk models? (I have lots)
        Any powermacs of interest?

        ...and so forth. I only have one station wagon to fill...?

        Herb Johnson

        Herbert R. Johnson, New Jersey USA
      • Sellam Ismail
        Message 3 of 14 , Jun 15, 2006
          On Wed, 14 Jun 2006, Evan Koblentz wrote:

          > There are some issues to address first. It's a Friday - Sunday event, July
          > 21-23, at a hotel in Manhattan. The panel is on Saturday. Nitzberg said
          > he'll look into getting us a break on hotel rooms if we choose to stay for
          > more than one day -- even with a break hotel rooms in Manhattan are still
          > expensive.

          The event room rate at the Hotel Pennsylvania (where the event is being
          held) is $145/night, which is pretty good for downtown Manhattan across
          from Madison Square Garden.

          > It's only five and a half weeks away so we'd have to work fast.

          I hope you guys decide to do it. It would be a fun opportunity.

          In the very least, I promise the panel I'm in will be entertaining.

          --

          Sellam Ismail Vintage Computer Festival

        • David Comley
          Message 4 of 14 , Jun 16, 2006
            Sun 3/60 ? I'm looking for a system board for one of
            these - mine failed half way through an install of
            SunOS 4.1 with some sort of memory error, so I would
            certainly encourage seeing that sort of system.

            -Dave

            --- Herb Johnson <hjohnson@...> wrote:

            > --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "B. Degnan"
            > <billdeg@...> wrote:

            > that cost something to ship. I'd appreciate
            > encourgements on
            > particular items (via this mail list) such as:
            >
            > SGI Indigo 2, Indigo, Octane (Octanes are about 50
            > lbs or more)
            > SGI Indy (R5000's? R4400's?)
            > really old Sun single boards like 3/ series?
            > later Sun like SparcStations?

            http://mail.yahoo.com
          • Herb Johnson
            Message 5 of 14 , Jun 18, 2006

              --- David Comley <david_comley@...> wrote:

              > Sun 3/60 ? I'm looking for a system board for one of
              > these - mine failed half way through an install of
              > SunOS 4.1 with some sort of memory error, so I would
              > certainly encourage seeing that sort of system.
              >
              > -Dave

              I'll see what I can provide. I'll try to accumulate these requests and
              prepare what I take to the fleamarket accordingly. David, et al, take
              a look around my Web site and see what is of interest, and contact me
              privately. Kinks and email addresses are below.

              Herb JOhnson

              Herbert R. Johnson, New Jersey USA
            • Bill Sudbrink
              Message 6 of 14 , Jun 22, 2006
                Sellam Ismail wrote:
                > On Wed, 14 Jun 2006, Evan Koblentz wrote:
                >
                > > There are some issues to address first. It's a Friday - Sunday
                > > event, July 21-23, at a hotel in Manhattan. The panel is on
                > > Saturday. Nitzberg said he'll look into getting us a break on
                > > hotel rooms if we choose to stay for more than one day -- even
                > > with a break hotel rooms in Manhattan are still expensive.
                >
                > The event room rate at the Hotel Pennsylvania (where the event is being
                > held) is $145/night, which is pretty good for downtown Manhattan across
                > from Madison Square Garden.
                >
                > > It's only five and a half weeks away so we'd have to work fast.
                >
                > I hope you guys decide to do it. It would be a fun opportunity.
                >
                > In the very least, I promise the panel I'm in will be entertaining.

                I there any further news on this?
                Message 7 of 14 , Jun 22, 2006
                  I haven't heard back from the organizers.  Will try reaching them again today.

                  Message 8 of 14 , Jun 22, 2006
                    Hi all,

                    I haven't heard back yet from the HOPE organizers about security, but the more I think about, the more I think we should just go for one of the three days (Saturday, which is the day of Sellam's panel)... this way we won't have to worry about security (since we can always have one or two people at the booth while others explore the show), nor will we have to spend $145 per person for rooms in the hotel (personally, I don't want to spend that much)... so this is the best solution I could think of.

                    The people who volunteered are Bill Degnan, Kelly Leavitt, and Bill Sudbrink, in addition to myself.  Anyone else?  Let me know your plans as soon as possible.  Seriously!

                    As I wrote in the original message, what I think we should do is meet up someplace central and convenient here in NJ, and then all travel together in a rented full-sized van.  (I called the hotel and they said a full-size van is the largest vehicle they can handle in the parking garage -- no box trucks allowed.)

                    I propose that our meeting place should be Metropark.  It's a major Amtrak station in Iselin, NJ., so people can arrive from far and wide.  Those who drive in can safely park for just two dollars (can't beat that!), and MARCH will fund the rental cost of a large van.  Then it's just a short drive (about 45-60 minutes) into Manhattan, depending on traffic.

                    We could possibly rent two vans (or two SUVs, or whatever's necessary) if more people volunteer.  Or we could bring the equipment in a van and the remaining people in someone's car.

                    Feedback is welcome; more volunteers are urged!

                    - Evan

                    Message 9 of 14 , Jun 22, 2006
                      I like the one day exhibit idea.

                      Please define the total space for our group, so that we can determine
                      what fraction each person will be allocated and the max number of
                      possible persons who can get involved. Who will the audience be?
                      Are we are expected to have working systems (and if so will there
                      be power?).

                      Once we summarize the conditions, we should set a deadline to signup
                      so that we can plan our exhibits based on the space/power/etc.

                      Bill

                      -- E N D --
                    • Sridhar Ayengar
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jun 22, 2006
                        Evan Koblentz wrote:
                        > Hi all,
                        >
                        > I haven't heard back yet from the HOPE organizers about security, but
                        > the more I think about, the more I think we should just go for one of
                        > the three days (Saturday, which is the day of Sellam's panel)... this
                        > way we won't have to worry about security (since we can always have one
                        > or two people at the booth while others explore the show), nor will we
                        > have to spend $145 per person for rooms in the hotel (personally, I
                        > don't want to spend that much)... so this is the best solution I could
                        > think of.
                        >
                        > The people who volunteered are Bill Degnan, Kelly Leavitt, and Bill
                        > Sudbrink, in addition to myself. Anyone else? Let me know your plans
                        > as soon as possible. Seriously!
                        >
                        > As I wrote in the original message, what I think we should do is meet up
                        > someplace central and convenient here in NJ, and then all travel
                        > together in a rented full-sized van. (I called the hotel and they said
                        > a full-size van is the largest vehicle they can handle in the parking
                        > garage -- no box trucks allowed.)
                        >
                        > I propose that our meeting place should be Metropark. It's a major
                        > Amtrak station in Iselin, NJ., so people can arrive from far and wide.
                        > Those who drive in can safely park for just two dollars (can't beat
                        > that!), and MARCH will fund the rental cost of a large van. Then it's
                        > just a short drive (about 45-60 minutes) into Manhattan, depending on
                        > traffic.
                        >
                        > We could possibly rent two vans (or two SUVs, or whatever's necessary)
                        > if more people volunteer. Or we could bring the equipment in a van and
                        > the remaining people in someone's car.
                        >
                        > Feedback is welcome; more volunteers are urged!

                        I wouldn't mind coming. I could bring a Sol-20. Or maybe a VAXstation.

                        Peace... Sridhar
                      • Sellam Ismail
                        Message 11 of 14 , Jun 22, 2006
                          On Thu, 22 Jun 2006, B Degnan wrote:

                          > I like the one day exhibit idea.
                          >
                          > Please define the total space for our group, so that we can determine
                          > what fraction each person will be allocated and the max number of
                          > possible persons who can get involved. Who will the audience be?
                          > Are we are expected to have working systems (and if so will there
                          > be power?).

                          Bill,

                          Although I've never been to this event, the audience will likely be a mix
                          of hackers, phreakers, and other similar miscreants, ranging in age from
                          early teens to late 50s, mostly men, and the majority of them probably
                          scraggly, nerdly, smelly, and unkempt...kind of like a VCF :)

                          I think the display will be much more successful if the computers are
                          working.

                          I still don't know the exact time and date of the panel. Hopefully it's
                          Saturday as we requested. The HOPE speaker committee promised to get back
                          to us by tomorrow with the schedule.

                          --

                          Sellam Ismail Vintage Computer Festival